Why Calories In and Calories Out... It really ISN'T that simple.....

Options
Dr. Mark Hyman... maker of the movie Fed Up (you need to see it if you haven't) addresses the real reason that NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME....

Why I will choose....
100 calories of almonds vs. a processed 100 calorie granola bar.......
100 calories of berries vs. 100 calories of sugar added yogurt.......

drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mark Hyman... maker of the movie Fed Up (you need to see it if you haven't) addresses the real reason that NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME....

Why I will choose....
    100 calories of almonds vs. a processed 100 calorie granola bar.......
    100 calories of berries vs. 100 calories of sugar added yogurt.......

drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

I'm not criticising but the majority of people already know that a banana is better than eating a bag of crisps, and will feel you up for longer.

However CICO is designed to provide simple effective guidelines that the majority of people can follow. Its not perfect but it's by far the best way to keep tabs on what your shoving in your mouth.

Most people will lose weight in a calorie deficit, regardless of what they are eating
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    He sells detox kits. That should be an immediate red flag that the guy is a quack.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy, like a kilowatt. Calories are for weight loss, types of food are for health and nutrition. Your body cannot tell the difference between the sugar in berries versus the added sugar in yogurt. At all.

Mark Hyman is a regular guest and is always hocking some book on the Oz show. Reason enough to hesitate listening to him. Just because someone has the title Dr. in front of their name does not make them an expert at everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Calories In and Calories Out is by far the most important element to weight loss and weight management in general...nutrition is another matter entirely....

Oh...and as an aside...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTca6DNhDWCn8XFQsSLfX4hyLcz_UTRzRI-GtbcftM8_KWmkFVSrw
  • mrs_sjlarsen
    mrs_sjlarsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    He sells detox kits. That should be an immediate red flag that the guy is a quack.

He doesn't sell Detox Kits... he has recipes for whole food smoothies... BIG DIFFERENCE.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yes. It really is that simple. If I eat more than ~2200 calories per day, I will gain weight. If I eat less than ~ 2200 calories per day I will lose weight.

What those calories come from may affect my mood, energy level, hunger level, etc, but it will not change the math.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

he requires your name and email for a "free video" in the age of the internet where he could just allow you to click play. This is spam/advertising and should have been deleted.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The same Dr Hyman that supported the withdrawn paper on the link between vaccine and autism?
    Discredited.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    In terms of energy a calorie is a calorie. In terms of nutrition, not so much. However, for weight loss, it is a matter of energy balance, that is CICO, not a matter of nutrition. Nutrition has to do with other health aspects.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options

He doesn't sell Detox Kits... he has recipes for whole food smoothies... BIG DIFFERENCE.

He sells detox kits http://store.drhyman.com/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Nope -

http://store.drhyman.com/supplements.html?cat=2842
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, CICO is truley all that is effective.

For health? No one is arguing that eating nothing but processed junk is better than eating fruits and veggies.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Yes, he does. There is a link to his store on the top of the article you posted.

He's about as legit as Dr. Oz.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Choose what YOU want for whatever reasons YOU choose to do so (I'd definitely choose yogurt over berries because I know it's what will satisfy me), but yes, it really IS that simple, and a calorie IS a calorie. Anyone who says otherwise wants to make you dependent upon their wisdom so that they can make money off of you.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Lolz
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    For weight loss, CICO is truley all that is effective.

For health? No one is arguing that eating nothing but processed junk is better than eating fruits and veggies.

A BIG PLUS ONE
  • mcatlin10
    mcatlin10 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't try to argue with the "True Believers" on this one...do what works for you and is nutritionally sound...for those those who can't take on a higher level of complexity than CI-CO, it'll work for them until it doesn't.

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    He sells detox kits http://store.drhyman.com/

TeaBea wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu5JdmsLWVk

• nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, I wouldn't say a single word against CICO on MFP.....

As much as I agree that higher quality foods are going to be better for weight loss in the long run, MFP forums are not the place for that kind of thinking. They just don't want see it from that perspective.