net calories?

When my maintenance calories are 2,000 calories but then I burn 500 calories from exercise and I put it on mfp app it says 1,500 daily net calories what does that mean?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    When my maintenance calories are 2,000 calories but then I burn 500 calories from exercise and I put it on mfp app it says 1,500 daily net calories what does that mean?

MFP gave you a calorie goal with zero exercise built in. So it means eat 2,000+500 calories.

However, calorie burns are often generous. Start by eating back a portion (50-75%) and adjust up or down if you don't maintain your weight.
  • TeaBea wrote: »

MFP gave you a calorie goal with zero exercise built in. So it means eat 2,000+500 calories.

However, calorie burns are often generous. Start by eating back a portion (50-75%) and adjust up or down if you don't maintain your weight.

The calorie goal that mfp gave me without any exercise was 1,850 calories but I put in light active and it gave me 2,080 but I range it to 2,000 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    TeaBea wrote: »

The calorie goal that mfp gave me without any exercise was 1,850 calories but I put in light active and it gave me 2,080 but I range it to 2,000 calories.

These are all estimates. Activity level is a range....it's not one exact number. The food you put in your mouth is likely an estimate too. If you eat 2,080 for a few weeks and don't gain weight, then you have a good estimate. If you still lose, then eat more than 2,080.

Many people here swear by their FitBit for maintenance. But again that involves some trial and error, a couple hundred here, a couple hundred there.

All I can tell you is how MFP works, you will need to do some testing.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    How many times are you going to ask the same question?
    The answer wont change.