What No One Tells You About Going Paleo (Hint: It's Sad)

Options

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Pretty funny, thanks!
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Whoever came up with Paleo apparently never consulted an anthropologist. Oy.

I avoid any diet that cuts out entire food groups, or makes crazy restrictions. It smacks of the obsession that is the hallmark of disordered eating. What I found was that I needed to make a sane relationship with food.

Gluten free diets are for people with celiac disease. Ask my brother. He would kill for a hamburger bun, but it would probably kill him.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »

I avoid any diet that cuts out entire food groups, or makes crazy restrictions. It smacks of the obsession that is the hallmark of disordered eating. What I found was that I needed to make a sane relationship with food.

Gluten free diets are for people with celiac disease. Ask my brother. He would kill for a hamburger bun, but it would probably kill him.

My physical anthropology professor, Katherine Milton, specialized in diet, and is cited in a lot of papers and books on paleo. However, Dr. Milton always cautioned us to remember that we don't know everything about the past, a reservation of judgment that a lot of the paleo fanatics fail to make. She was pretty awesome.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I've had chili lime crickets and they were tasty.

Exo bars are pretty good too.

I would try those!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

My physical anthropology professor, Katherine Milton, specialized in diet, and is cited in a lot of papers and books on paleo. However, Dr. Milton always cautioned us to remember that we don't know everything about the past, a reservation of judgment that a lot of the paleo fanatics fail to make. She was pretty awesome.

Even more important is to realize the past isn't prescription. Primitive diet was what it was, it is by no means guaranteed to be optimal. For example, I've seen many people claim paleo is anti-inflammatory. I kind of scratch my head at the idea that a diet eaten by people who's number one source of death was infection was designed to dampen the immune system's most powerful response mechanism.
  • darnea1232
    darnea1232 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Paleo-Diet-Experience-37631676

"Parenthetically, I really should stop listening to people just because they're attractive. If Jeff Goldblum told me to get a bowl haircut and rob a bank, I totally would.

The Paleo diet demands that you only eat what cavemen did, which means that you need to chew raw woolly-mammoth meat for hours with a mouth full of rotting teeth and wash it down with a nice refreshing gourdful of mud."

Awesome post! ;D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Katherine Milton seems pretty sensible here: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/6/1590.full

Also, this is just cool: http://nature.berkeley.edu/miltonlab/
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Katherine Milton seems pretty sensible here: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/6/1590.full

Also, this is just cool: http://nature.berkeley.edu/miltonlab/

Nice find.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Recently, I went pseudo Paleo.

I say pseudo, because, like most things in my life, I've jumped in headfirst without putting any thought or research into it (this is also how I ended up taking a workout class called "Insanity." Afterward, I was drooling and delirious. So I guess it delivered).

So, despite being totally unclear on what Paleo entailed, I figured I would try it because the hot guy from the gym told me I ate too many carbs.

Freaking Paleo.

PS You don't want the actual cookie recipe. You don't.

[Edited by MFP Mods]

@Wetcoaster This post was thoroughly entertaining!
    That being said .... I've been "pseudo-paleo" for over two years now .... AND I LOVE IT!
    go figure!
    I also do insanity, and yeah, I love that too!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    "I see Citations"

Now that was funny! Spilled my coffee!

Made my day.
  • saylorkw
    saylorkw Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Carrot Cake Cookies (aka, Pucks of Suffering)
  • saylorkw
    saylorkw Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OP, I laughed so hard at this entire thing!
    thanks for the laugh. you should patent/copyright the following phrases
    #pucksOfSuffering #PattiesOfSadness

"it's gold Jerry, GOLD!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    saylorkw wrote: »

"it's gold Jerry, GOLD!

Unfortunately OP might get sued if he tried to copyright those phrases because he didn't write them... It was a link to a blog post written by someone else.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

"it's gold Jerry, GOLD!

Unfortunately OP might get sued if he tried to copyright those phrases because he didn't write them... It was a link to a blog post written by someone else.

Sigh :tired_face:
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post - i haven't laughed that hard this entire year :D
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

"it's gold Jerry, GOLD!

Sigh :tired_face:

Another hit and run.
  • feelc
    feelc Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Hear, hear!