How do you feel about bagged salad?

Options
2»

Replies

• jillian909
    jillian909 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I still buy bagged salad....just like I still eat at Chipotle. Short lines, ftw!!
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I used to buy bagged salads. I have not, though, in a couple of years. I bought them for the convenience, but decided that I really like buying lettuce and other vegetables myself. It seems, in my case, that the bagged lettuce went "bad" sooner than "fresh".

During the summer, I buy all of my vegetables and fruits at a farm about 1/4 mile from my house. I love living in a big city, with farmland that is still close by. :smile: mgc9ss9589d9.jpg

That lettuce looks awesome!

It was! Beautiful and tasty.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I buy it occasionally.

If your so inclined...lettuce is one of the easiest things to grow. Can be done in a pot, and even indoors in a sunny window. From planting to harvest is under 6 weeks and if you plant 2 plants a day for a month, and replant as you eat, you'll have a continually ready harvest...for pretty much forever.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I love the convenience of a bagged salad; and the chance of me getting ill from it is lower than the chance I have of catching a cold from fellow commuters on the train every day.

On the other hand, the chlorine wash they use on the salad makes it smell nasty. Even though it's already 'washed', I still wash it in water again before eating it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I had some of the Marketside brand and Spring Mix variety tonight. Until reading this thread I hadn't been aware of a(nother) health scare for salad greens. I had my big old bowl of greens with half an avocado, half a cup of pinto beans, and a tablespoon of divine nectar from Harold's Gormay Texicun Perdy Hot Pickuls. My daughter grows salad veg in the back yard as mkakids above describes.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    Anything can be recalled. Doesn't mean I'll stop eating it forever. I will not eat that batch, and that's where my avoidance stops.
  • Naboo325
    Naboo325 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't like bagged salad, I find particularly with ones that have romaine, you get more stalk than the leafy part. Also they go bad faster and I also find a distinct odor in those bags. Fresh is the way to go, even though it takes longer to wash and cut and prep a salad.