Egg whites.

Options
Had a consultation with a personal trainer today. Looks like my caloric intake was on point, but my protein should be about 60g more than I average daily.

The whey protein doesn't agree with me so I can't do that. I've done some research and it looks like drinking liquid egg whites (pasteurized) will give me the best bang for my buck.

I've read some recipes on Google and it looks like simply adding liquid coffee creamer is a popular quick drink. Wanted to hear from you guys of your thoughts on tasty quick egg white recipes and which is the cheapest/tastiest (if there is a difference) brand. Thanks!

Replies

• TamzFit777
    TamzFit777 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ugh I cant imagine drinking egg.. But I do like a 2 egg white + one egg omelete. Does cooking the egg destroy some protein??
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about this but is it safe to drink it raw? I know you aren't supposed to eat raw eggs
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Protein is doable - why does it have to be a whey or some other supplement - do you not eat meat, peanut butter?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just eat the egg whites?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great protein powders that don't have whey in them.
    I can't do whey but the protein powder I use is great.
    What about nuts and fish?
    Fish has lots of protein.
    Or cottage cheese?
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I suppose I could, never had them before. I assumed they didn't taste great plain lol.
    Protein is doable - why does it have to be a whey or some other supplement - do you not eat meat, peanut butter?
    I do eat meat, peanut butter is delicious. Usually don't eat peanut butter daily though.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    the protein powders made from peas have alot of protein too
  • notreallychris
    Options
    Or cottage cheese?
    I mix in almonds and cashews in my oatmeal daily, they're great. I'm one of those weird picky eaters, don't like fish or cottage cheese lol. I wish I had a better palette!
  • notreallychris
    Options
    the protein powders made from peas have alot of protein too

Hmm, what is that best mixed with?
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I suppose I could, never had them before. I assumed they didn't taste great plain lol.

I think she meant, why can't you cook them and eat them? Surely cooked would taste much better, without the salmonella risks?

If you mean cooked eggs taste plain, add some cheese! Even more protein and it tastes great. Better than raw, at least.
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I'd like egg whites, but I scramble them in the morning with a pop & cook cube of basil and cut up some cherry or grape tomatoes. Favorite thing to eat for breakfast right now!
  • arditarose
    Options

You've never eaten egg whites? Scramble them like you would eggs. They taste great. Add a little cheese and hot sauce-perfect. I like to make a huge veggie scramble with them. You can get really high volume meals eating egg whites since there is little fat, and you can choose to add in fat elsewhere throughout your day.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Or cottage cheese?
    I mix in almonds and cashews in my oatmeal daily, they're great. I'm one of those weird picky eaters, don't like fish or cottage cheese lol. I wish I had a better palette!

You could cook a couple eggs whites in with your oatmeal and bump that protein up.
  • _SandShoveller_
    _SandShoveller_ Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts, fish, . . . . . if I am cutting - I would rather EAT my calories than drink them.
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    how about a DANNON LIGHT & FIT GREEK YOGURT with a serving of Almonds... that is a good is about 18 g of protein in one small snack.
  • notreallychris
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
  • arditarose
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I make my egg whites in the microwave at work like scrambled eggs. Add some spices, pepper and/or salsa! Yum!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »

I think she meant, why can't you cook them and eat them? Surely cooked would taste much better, without the salmonella risks?

If you mean cooked eggs taste plain, add some cheese! Even more protein and it tastes great. Better than raw, at least.

While I definitely prefer my egg whites scrambled or in an omelet (with cheese, herbs, and veggies), if you're buying egg whites in a carton (instead of cracking eggs and tossing the yolk), they're most likely pasteurized (it will say so on the carton if they are), hence salmonella should not be an issue. If I were going to "drink" them, I think I'd hide them in a smoothie, because the texture raw doesn't seem very appetizing.