Egg whites.

2»

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    If you're just buying the carton egg whites, they're usually pasteurized. I eat them raw in shakes all the time! check out muscle egg, it's a great product and they sell them at nutrishop! They are actually cheaper than buying carton egg whites from the store as well(:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I like them in an omelet. They taste better than drinking them raw. There are many egg white recipes on the internet (example). Heck you could even add some boiled and diced egg whites to about any salad (goes really well with Caesar salad to boost an already high protein salad). I especially love them with canned tuna, but unfortunately I can't have them often because I'm mildly allergic. Breakfast quesadillas with egg whites are amazing, egg white muffins, scrambles, vegetable frittatas, scoop out the yolks and fill with hummus... the possibilities are endless and all of them sound better than plain raw egg whites. I guess because I can't have them often I tend to appreciate and savor them more when I do have them.
  • RedHat77
    RedHat77 Posts: 1 Member
    Some of the grains have lots of proteins too like lentils, oat bran, spelt cooked, Quinoa cooked.
    Meat like tuna, lean chicken breast
    Cheese like tofu, beans.
    Personally i wouldn't drink fresh or just pasteurized egg whites due to risk of salmonella and i speak from experience, even the one from carton, i got salmonella from egg whites from carton so no more those. It was horrible and it takes quite a long time to recover.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I like to add a triangle of laughing cow light cheese to my egg whites (and spinach, mushrooms and ham / cheddar too) .. I'm intolerant to yolk and it brings back the creaminess

also 0% greek yogurt has a big protein bang for the calories
  • rabbitjb wrote: »
    I like to add a triangle of laughing cow light cheese to my egg whites (and spinach, mushrooms and ham / cheddar too) .. I'm intolerant to yolk and it brings back the creaminess

Was about to say! Total 0% is about 50kcal per 100g and has something like 10g of protein in it! And if you're on a budget Tesco low fat fromage frais is again 50kcal with 8g of protein for about 1/3 of the price!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

+1 and ditto. Love my LC
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Can you lower your intake of carbs so that you have more room in your diet for more protein rich foods? I love eggs, but the idea of drinking egg whites makes me want to hurl.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    There are a lot of great protein powders that don't have whey in them.
    I can't do whey but the protein powder I use is great.
    What about nuts and fish?
    Fish has lots of protein.
    Or cottage cheese?
    I mix in almonds and cashews in my oatmeal daily, they're great. I'm one of those weird picky eaters, don't like fish or cottage cheese lol. I wish I had a better palette!

I dont like fish or cottage cheese either. At all. So I feel you.

It's perfectly safe to drink eggs also, i'm pretty sure people have been doing that for like ever. Well like body builder types (or is that just a stereotype). I just eat a lot of chicken/turkey, fill up on nuts and eggs (cooked obviously, also don't be afraid of the yolk either they arent bad for you but I dont think thats where the protein is. Im not a nutritionist though).

Plain eggwhites are kind of gross, if I eat them I usually salt and pepper them while cooking then put ketchup on them or eat them on a sandwich. and a tbsp of ketchup is only 20 cals so its not like its gonna kill your day (maybe sodium wise but I don't monitor that too closely)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I would bump up my protein with actual food. Meat, cooked eggs, yogurt. Drinking my cals away makes for one sad Courtney :p
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    the protein powders made from peas have alot of protein too

Hmm, what is that best mixed with?

I use whey protein but I mix mine in with 1/2 cup of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt. It is the consistency of a thick pudding so I eat it as a dessert. I sometimes add things like fresh strawberries or blueberries if I am using vanilla.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Whey protein doesn't agree with me either... but there are tons of protein powders from other sources, including egg whites.
  • cowchow999
    cowchow999 Posts: 1 Member
    Lately I've been adding protein powder to my greek yogurt. I've had some great pea protein, Swanson brand, (but you have to make sure you completely hydrate the powder otherwise it is really awful). I usually just cook my egg whites and add tomato/avocado or whatever I have on hand. My friend throws egg whites in her smoothies and likes them that way, but I'm not adventurous enough to try it.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    On a completely unhelpful note - this thread has made me REALLY want an omelet.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    OP, I make a 6-eggwhite omelette with one whole egg. I add butter, onions, spinach, pinch of garlic, turkey or chicken and some hot jalapenos peppers w/toast of white bread. The entire meal is less than 500 cals and around 55g of protein.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    why don't you eat all the egg?

I do a ratio of whole egg to egg white- usually 2-4 whole eggs to 4-6 egg whites. the other day I did 6 whole eggs + 6 egg whites.

And yes- egg whites alone IMHO are gross.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    The only way I tolerate egg whites is mixed with oatmeal (you add them in the last minute... you seem to like oatmeal, so try it out, it adds fluffiness and doesn't change the taste), one extra egg white in an omelet, and *maybe* sometimes an egg white omelet with tomatoes, feta (or mozzarella), and spinach.

But I haven't bought them in ages and I don't miss them AT ALL. Life is too short to eat tasteless stuff just to meet a protein macro. Just tweak your diet a little bit. Find a non whey protein powder. Have more Greek yogurt, maybe add a splash of milk in your tea, eat more meat, fish, and veggies (neither of which you seem to eat... at all, apart from processed food).

Seriously, drop the pizza and processed/fast food and eat meat and veggies...
  • creativecalico
    creativecalico Posts: 9 Member
    I frequently just drink a cup of (pasteurized) egg whites by themselves or use as the liquid in a smoothie. I don't know why so many people think they're gross! They make lots of old school cocktails (egg nog, whiskey sour) taste delicious and frothy.