How does your garden grow????? Pictures please.

Options
13»

Replies

• RebeccaLansdown
    RebeccaLansdown Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's the way to go. I got into it because the one flat spot on the property that my garden destroying dog can't get to also happens to have all of our utilities running beneath the ground. I'd love to talk to other gardeners throughout the summer and see how things are going. I don't know how to add people here but if anyone wants to add me I'm up for it.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    The silks on my sweet corn is starting to turn. Shouldn't be too much longer now.

1m83t052g02k.jpg

My Pink Eyed Purple Hull peas are about ready too.

lotlg67d4ara.jpg

• sparrish531
    sparrish531 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    First of the beets. Also ate sugar snap peas tonight. qyfei0si9teh.jpeg[
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wow...sweet corn already? So jealous. Mine are about 3 inches high. LOL! I just had to pull up my onions because they kept sending up seeds. BUT...I have about 4 bunches of grapes that are starting to swell up. I am getting peas every other day. So far, it is slow. I cannot wait to have a lot of fresh produce!
  • larrodarro
    Options
    We have ate corn twice so far, three times for peas and green beans. But we are making peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and squash everyday. My 2nd planting of corn, peas and green beans is doing really well. I planted on the 16th and the corn is about a foot tall. I buried soaker hoses when I planted, and they are liking it.
  • dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Very impressive gardens, guys! Can't beat fresh food grown yourself. I just do some herbs anymore; not enough time to manage veggies these days.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I have nothing on some of y'all but we are trying this year. Some random herbs and some random peppers and lemongrass. Also did a lavender pot near the hot tub. s8r5yh57odlj.jpeg
    h73rtfvagq4v.jpeg
    lqrophmam3es.jpeg

• Headrain
    Headrain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Dandelie wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Nothing happening yet; two years ago:

1hu72bvjv6zl.jpg

I just read an article about direct composting where you dig a hole in your bed and dump your scraps. Within a week (provided you have enough earth worms in your soil), the scraps would be mostly gone. I am interested in this method. I saw you had a composter. I have been toying with that, but we have wild animals like bear, deer, hogs, and turkeys that I REALLY do not want in my yard.

I did direct sow of my compost and it seemed to work great - until the ground sprouted like crazy with tomatoes and a few other veggies that I did not plant! They came from the composted seeds. No lie, about 100 tomato plants. I'm pulling them like weeds.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options
    Marijuana_Farm_02.jpg
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Marijuana_Farm_02.jpg

ha ha ha

I've heard @williammuney is quite a gardener
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Marijuana_Farm_02.jpg

If those were flowering and about 8 feet taller, I would expect to see doublejj flashing his thumbs up sign. {look him up on RIU}
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Headrain wrote: »
    Dandelie wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Nothing happening yet; two years ago:

1hu72bvjv6zl.jpg

I just read an article about direct composting where you dig a hole in your bed and dump your scraps. Within a week (provided you have enough earth worms in your soil), the scraps would be mostly gone. I am interested in this method. I saw you had a composter. I have been toying with that, but we have wild animals like bear, deer, hogs, and turkeys that I REALLY do not want in my yard.

I did direct sow of my compost and it seemed to work great - until the ground sprouted like crazy with tomatoes and a few other veggies that I did not plant! They came from the composted seeds. No lie, about 100 tomato plants. I'm pulling them like weeds.

I'm putting my pea hulls and corn husk in the garden. But everything with seeds in it goes into the compost pile.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I have nothing on some of y'all but we are trying this year. Some random herbs and some random peppers and lemongrass. Also did a lavender pot near the hot tub. s8r5yh57odlj.jpeg
    h73rtfvagq4v.jpeg
    lqrophmam3es.jpeg

Most of my peppers are random this year. The Sharpie washed off the labels, so until the fruit gets ripe, it's a mystery.

• larrodarro
    Options
    Green beans.

2fnv7g2b8qyf.jpg
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Acorn squash, squash and cucumbers from a couple of days ago.

hyd2yjif23cz.jpg
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes...we just planted our garden last weekend. Squash here is a fall crop. guess that's what happens when you live in the great white North