Shakeology Anyone?

2»

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited February 2016
    26-disgusted-japanese-olympic-coach-best-sports-gifs-of-2012.gif

No thanks, "Coach!"

My wife tried the pyramid scam, er... Shakeology and all she lost was $172.56 and half her taste buds.
  • rebrud1
    rebrud1 Posts: 7 Member
    I finally broke down and bought Vanilla Shakeology with a workout that I wanted about a year ago. I generally like BB workouts, but I cannot stand the taste of the Shakeology. Way too sweet and chemical tasting for me for not enough protein and too much sugar. I sent it back and they exchanged it for vegan chocolate, which my long time friend turned BB coach uses. It was worse and didn't have the calcium that the non-vegan did. I am slowly working my way through the remaining product, but only really when I run out of my old stand by soy protein powder from Trader Joes, which is not sweetened, and has more protein in half a serving than a full serving of overly caloric Shakeology. The only way I have found to make the vanilla Shakelogy palatable is to put a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder in it. Shakeology was so not worth the price.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Nope, good quality supplements available at Walmart, GNC, etc. No use to pay for a program, a coach, & high priced shake etc. The little containers of different colors for foods BaHAHAHA, I don't want limits and restrictions I want to live life and learn how to cope! Weightloss isn't magic and doesn't cost a fortune. PEOPLE ARE NOT NATURALLY SKINNY. Their choices- calories in vs calories out- are the key. Some people just eat to live and others live to eat. I'm on the backside of that statement but am educated enough to know my faults and how to lose and maintain, its putting in the work and keeping the focus that is the hard part. Best of fitness to you!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Looks like it's mostly been covered. I don't necessarily think it's a bad product but it is overpriced and sold by coaches who know nothing about nutrition. In reality, you would be better served taking a quality whey protein and a multivitamin for the same macros. Bonus: you save a ton of money.

Completely agree with the above^^^ if you really love your shakeology and it helps you, use it, but just know you can get better quality protien for cheaper and the same effects from a multivitamin. Also don't buy into the whole "superfoods" scam.

More important than any of this is that if you lose weight using shakes or other meal replacements, you're not really doing yourself any favors for when you hit your goal weight. Unless you plan on drinking shakes forever you're not learning how to manage actual food on a daily basis. The best thing you can do is just count your calories and make sure you're burning more than you consume.
  • mizzmercury
    mizzmercury Posts: 30 Member
    Nope, I gave in to the hype from an old high school friend of mine who is a "coach" and bought the Shakeology this month and get extremely sick every time I drink it. I don't see the point in getting rid of the much cheaper options available to me that don't make me sick for something that made me so sick I couldn't even get out of bed.
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Meal replacement shakes good, Shakeology bad. You would be better served (and save a boatload of money) getting a good protein powder, liquid multivitamin, fiber powder (because, you know...fiber!) use milk-like substance (milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc) for sweetness and add stevia to improve sweetness, cacao powder for a chocolate fix or a couple drops of vanilla extract for a vanilla fix. Toss some ice and blend.

Oh, of course. You want a probiotic. May I recommend a plain Greek yogurt?

All of that combined is going to run you $2-3 per (Potentially cheaper, depends on how much protein you need and where you buy your ingredients from) meal replacement (yeah, it'll be an actual meal replacement - seriously.) and that's a teensy bit better than Shakeology's $4.50-$5.50 per shake deal. Plus, if you're like me and allergic to gluten, you can actually be *sure* that your shakes are 100% gluten-free.

Shakes similar to what I just described are what I used to go from 398lbs, several years ago, to 340lbs. I'm currently at 325lbs, so I was also able to keep the weight off.

If you're going to utilize something for a diet, I know it takes a lot of time, but research research research! If they can make an ultra awesome super duper shake and sell it to you for $5, chances are you can make a better one at home for half that. Somebody has to pay for the executives' new cars, after all.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    I was totally set on buying Shakeology last year until I logged into the forums here and saw all the posts. There's a lot of shake-o haters on here! I have about 6 friends who are Beachbody coaches (I am not) and promote the crap out of it on my Facebook feed. I've been using the Beachbody workout programs for about 8 years and LOVE them, have had lots of success. I'd recommend the programs to anyone but never bought into the shakes. I even joined into some of their challenge groups, lots of people loving it so it's tempting but I can't bring myself to spend that much. If you have the money, it tastes good & helps you hit your goals then go for it! Good luck!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Shakeology is great....if it was so expensive! That is the ridiculous part! And it does have that much protien and its not organic or anything special and they want like $4 per serving?? No thank ya
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    I was totally set on buying Shakeology last year until I logged into the forums here and saw all the posts. There's a lot of shake-o haters on here! I have about 6 friends who are Beachbody coaches (I am not) and promote the crap out of it on my Facebook feed. I've been using the Beachbody workout programs for about 8 years and LOVE them, have had lots of success. I'd recommend the programs to anyone but never bought into the shakes. I even joined into some of their challenge groups, lots of people loving it so it's tempting but I can't bring myself to spend that much. If you have the money, it tastes good & helps you hit your goals then go for it! Good luck!

I agree with this so much. When it comes to working out, do what you enjoy and use whatever programs keep you motivated and enjoying it.
  • cathiggs
    cathiggs Posts: 21 Member
    If it is anything like Herbalife then run a mile! You can protein shakes a lot cheaper to supplement your diet if u need the extra protein without the added crap
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Multi level marketing scam. Shakeology is a joke and anyone can become a coach. Its code word for salesperson. Don't get fooled by mlm companies. Its low quality products with a high price . all proprietary blends so you don't have any clue of how much of what item is in that ( I've looked through analysis from an independent test and its a joke. I wouldn't drink it if it was free )
    Mlm companies prey upon naïve and desperate. Educate yourself and don't be naïve
  • shamburger411
    shamburger411 Posts: 30 Member
    I was able to try two free samples via a give-a-way from a friend (who is a coach). Both times it made me sick and I felt like I was going to have to camp by the toilet. :neutral:

^^That and the price ($135/bag) is absolutely ridiculous. Save your money!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Multi level marketing scam. Shakeology is a joke and anyone can become a coach. Its code word for salesperson. Don't get fooled by mlm companies. Its low quality products with a high price . all proprietary blends so you don't have any clue of how much of what item is in that ( I've looked through analysis from an independent test and its a joke. I wouldn't drink it if it was free )
    Mlm companies prey upon naïve and desperate. Educate yourself and don't be naïve

Agree on all points.

Here's a great analysis of Snakeoilogy by a pharmacist: http://pharmadaddy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/shakeology-shaking-up-its-foundations.html?m=1