Foods known to cause breakouts?

anyone know or have certain foods that are known to cause breakouts? I've heard of some people being sensitive to dairy and say that the whey can cause flare ups for them. Also, does anyone have any good natural remedies for topical treatment more for healing the skin? Not really getting rid of the breakout, but the irritation/ scar afterwards? I don't have bad acne, just a couple annoying pimples, but have really sensitive skin so they look worse. I heard honey and lemon soothe the skin pretty well?

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    I don't know of any foods that can cause breakouts but I can tell you that usually a simple antiseptic cream such as savlon works pretty well in sorting out pimples. Another alternative treatment you could try is witch hazel, as in the essential oil, but if you have sensitive skin that may be a little too drying.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I don't know what it is, but every time I drink a lot of alcohol my skin breaks out terribly. I wish I didn't love wine so much. It's a constant battle of - Nice skin or bottle of wine.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    im sensitive to PRODUCTS on my skin, but not foods (and thank god not alcohol LOL)

a lot of people have issues with oily or high fat foods and their skin
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    I haven't had any particular foods that cause breakouts, but dehydration (both from water or poor moisturizing habits) can cause breakouts for me, so I guess you could say high-salt foods may break me out? If I drink enough water I'm usually good, but otherwise them pimples are out and about.

The only thing that really takes care of PIH for me is keeping my routine up - remove makeup, cleanse, exfoliate (I use a BHA), moisturize, and SUNSCREEN. Skincare varies from person to person, so I highly recommend checking out reddit.com/r/skincareaddiction for tips on finding the right routine for you. Using the tips from there really took my skin to the next level of beauty.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    im sensitive to PRODUCTS on my skin, but not foods (and thank god not alcohol LOL)

a lot of people have issues with oily or high fat foods and their skin

Same, I tried MUF foundation and it made me break out so bad and because of problems with some lotions, I won't touch my face with any lotion other than baby lotion now.

I didn't get pimples when I was a teenager but starting getting them in my early twenties - not bad but worse than I ever had them. I started making sure that I had a good face routine (cleanser, removing all my makeup or just using wipes before bed). I don't use as many products on my face now but one of the things I still use is an oatmeal scrub a couple times a week or as needed. When I feel like my face is oily or dirty or I notice any bumps on my face, I usually scrub my face or use facial wipes.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    For scarring, topical Vitamin E is worth a shot. Also make sure you're meeting the RDA for it via diet.

Honey and lemon have antibacterial properties so they can help prevent acne. Who has time to smother honey on their face and leave it on for 20 min though? Healthy skin starts from the inside out so stay hydrated, eat nourishing foods, and make sure your gut flora is in check.

I use a facewash with tea tree oil and ACV as a toner. This fades blemishes like lemon juice but it's cheaper.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    For scarring, topical Vitamin E is worth a shot. Also make sure you're meeting the RDA for it via diet.

Honey and lemon have antibacterial properties so they can help prevent acne. Who has time to smother honey on their face and leave it on for 20 min though? Healthy skin starts from the inside out so stay hydrated, eat nourishing foods, and make sure your gut flora is in check.

I use a facewash with tea tree oil and ACV as a toner. This fades blemishes like lemon juice but it's cheaper.

I agree about the nutrition and the use of lemon. My brother swore by lemon during his football days to get rid of his scars from injuries.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Milk does it for me.. Not acne, but small little bumps under my skin around the chin area. When I omit dairy they disappear. But alas, I can't quit it for good, I always go back, so I just put up with it.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Dairy does it for me- more specifically cheese. I still eat milk, yogurt and ice cream, but I eat little to no cheese and my face has been much clearer since. I am also sensitive to certain cleansers, things with sls (sodium lauryl sulfate/sulphide) and also fragrances dry me out horribly, which causes my face to produce more oil and thus pimples, and dries my hands to the point of cracking and bleeding.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    DAIRY
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Nutella every time
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    anyone know or have certain foods that are known to cause breakouts? I've heard of some people being sensitive to dairy and say that the whey can cause flare ups for them. Also, does anyone have any good natural remedies for topical treatment more for healing the skin? Not really getting rid of the breakout, but the irritation/ scar afterwards? I don't have bad acne, just a couple annoying pimples, but have really sensitive skin so they look worse. I heard honey and lemon soothe the skin pretty well?

Are you still cutting? Do you notice your skin not looking as well when calories/certain macros are lower? Just curious.

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

Are you still cutting? Do you notice your skin not looking as well when calories/certain macros are lower? Just curious.

Actually I notice the opposite! My skin is better while cutting than it is when bulking. I don't eat junk either when bulking. I think it may have something to do with either testosterone levels or some hormone while I'm bulking. Along with some of the dirty foods I sneak in;p my skin does better though on a cut forsure
  • arditarose
    arditarose wrote: »

Actually I notice the opposite! My skin is better while cutting than it is when bulking. I don't eat junk either when bulking. I think it may have something to do with either testosterone levels or some hormone while I'm bulking. Along with some of the dirty foods I sneak in;p my skin does better though on a cut forsure

Makes sense. I have just been curious about hormones when cutting and bulking and skin. I'm hitting the bulk a little hard now and have been enjoying more meals out and burgers. I'm definitely a bit pimply at the moment.
  • pinggolfer96
    Yeah I looked it up, and it just had to do with increased hormone production that promotes acne and the fact you're taking in more "dirty" foods. Do it for the gains though(;
  • arditarose
    Yeah I looked it up, and it just had to do with increased hormone production that promotes acne and the fact you're taking in more "dirty" foods. Do it for the gains though(;

Meh. One more month. I want to enjoy it while it lasts lol. I don't know what would be causing yours now though.

• pinggolfer96
    edited February 2016
    Its not that bad right now, I was just curious. I came off a bulk only like 6 weeks ago and since then it's gotten way better. I don't usually tend to breakout (knock on wood), but the bulk definitely made me a little more susceptible to some breakouts @arditarose

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Sugar and lactose for me.
  • arditarose
    Its not that bad right now, I was just curious. I came off a bulk only like 6 weeks ago and since then it's gotten way better. I don't usually tend to breakout (knock on wood), but the bulk definitely made me a little more susceptible to some breakouts @arditarose

Could be a hormone thing related with bulk/cut cycles.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Personally for me any skin care product with oil makes me break out, so whatever I use I always make sure its oil free. Sweating while exercising unfortunately breaks me out. Any junk food, gluten, dairy also causes issues.
    As for topical treatment for scars try buying an aloe vera plant leaf and using it on your skin.