I am finally getting some well-needed Answers............

Options
Ok, so I have been doing this 50 pound yo-yo with in the last year and now the weight is not wanting to come off.. As most of you know I have been adhering to a strict plan called the Primal Blue Print and I have lost about 17 pounds in small spurts. Most of the people I know on this plan, the pounds are just melting off of them.......

Anyway, I have been able to get my A1C and fasting glucose into a range that the Endocrinologist says most people do not do. I have went from being considered a Type 2 Diabetic downgraded now to Insulin Resistance.

That is a good thing. In that respect, he told me to keep doing what I am doing............

Now on to why I am not losing weight..............

It is confirmed. I have hypo-thyroidism, hypo-pituitarism and a pituitary tumor and Adrenal Fatigue. I may also have sleep apnea, so I am going to get a sleep study done along with a second MRI.

Among my long list of "isms and syndromes" is also PCOS, PMDD, and Insulin Resistance.

I have been suspecting the Adrenal Fatigue and already knew I had some Thyroid issues, but I personally never thought I would be in these shoes.

So, I am starting 125 milligrams of Synthroid right away and will also start some natural hormones to try and shrink the tumor. The Dr and I both decided that surgery will be a last result.

I don't know if anyone else here can understand my plight, but I am in this to fight, fight, fight..............

I will be going through my cabinets (both food and cleaners and such) to see how many more "chemicals" I can remove from my household. My Doctor firmly believes that the chemicals in the foods we eat and the cleansers we use contribute a lot to many of the issues he treats and sees on a daily basis.............

He said there are hundreds of thousands of patients in my same boat, most are not diagnosed.

Thanks for hearing me out and letting me vent my frustrations and my being scared to death right now..............

Replies

• jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Lioness, So sorry that you are going through this. At least now you have some answers, and hopefully, some solutions. I am a firm believer that chemicals are killing us. Keep us posted!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    JulyLioness:

Thankfully you have some answers after your struggles. LIke you said: fight, fight, fight! You fought for answers, now you can fight for your health. It is terrible you are going through this, but in the end, you will come out better!

I believe all the chemicals and preservatives are affecting us & try to eat as "clean" as possible.

How did they find out about adrenal fatigue?

Best of luck!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    JulyLioness:

Thankfully you have some answers after your struggles. LIke you said: fight, fight, fight! You fought for answers, now you can fight for your health. It is terrible you are going through this, but in the end, you will come out better!

I believe all the chemicals and preservatives are affecting us & try to eat as "clean" as possible.

How did they find out about adrenal fatigue?

Best of luck!

I did a saliva test to confirm Adrenal Fatigue. The hypo-pituitarism was found through blood test for Prolactin and FSH..........

The Endocrinologist said that most people that have hypothyroidism and goes untreated end up with issues with the Adrenals, Pituitary and Hypothalamus glands also.............So, he said it is the natural progression of the hormones being off in the body.

I do eat clean and have been for some time now. I even started making "most" of my cleaning supplies and washing powder, or I use soap nuts to wash my clothes.

I do use occasional commercial cleaners to remove soap scum from the bathtub, I don't know any natural way to clean it yet.......

I buy as many organics as I possibly can, get meat, eggs, raw dairy from local farmers and most of my veggies and fruits that are in season from my sister and / or the Farmers Market.

I am supposing most of this is from years and years (since being an adult) of eating grocery store foods that have the chemicals and preservatives and such...........
  • leftyy2k4
    leftyy2k4 Posts: 71
    Options
    While I am not doubting your issues I find it peculiar your diary is incomplete. I think your problem is you don't track your intake.

I see alot of posts from people who aren't losing weight or at a standstill and they always have incomplete diaries. Than you look at those who have lost and kept it off and their diaries are detailed and done every single day.

Won't work if you don't use the tools given to us.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    While I am not doubting your issues I find it peculiar your diary is incomplete. I think your problem is you don't track your intake.

I see alot of posts from people who aren't losing weight or at a standstill and they always have incomplete diaries. Than you look at those who have lost and kept it off and their diaries are detailed and done every single day.

I track it in a regular notebook as I don't count calories.............I only pay attention to my carb counts. Some days I put it in and most days I don't because I simply don't have the energy to track it in both places and my notebook goes with me to the Doctor.

I have had no problems until I started having issues with my health and then I lose some and gain those same pounds back, eating the same way I have already been eating for years.

That is why I went to the doctor to find out what is going on with me...............I have been eating a low carb plan (and as natural as I can possibly make it) with the exception of when my husband was laid off and we had to improvise to make sure we had food on the table.
  • leftyy2k4
    Options

I track it in a regular notebook as I don't count calories.............I only pay attention to my carb counts. Some days I put it in and most days I don't because I simply don't have the energy to track it in both places and my notebook goes with me to the Doctor.

I have had no problems until I started having issues with my health and then I lose some and gain those same pounds back, eating the same way I have already been eating for years.

That is why I went to the doctor to find out what is going on with me...............I have been eating a low carb plan (and as natural as I can possibly make it) with the exception of when my husband was laid off and we had to improvise to make sure we had food on the table.

You can count carbs till the cows come home. When talking bout weight loss calories matter. You can stay with in a carb limit but eat over in calories.

Not saying you don't have medical issues as well just stating you don't track your calories and have stalled in your weight loss. You should be counting calories as well as sticking to a certain diet.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    That is difficult, I hope you are able to resolve your medical issues and get yourself healthy. I am also trying my best to eat clean, but it is an uphill battle, I am taking baby steps. Part of my job deals with sleep apnea, and if you do have it you will feel much better after treatment, I have seen first hand the difference that it makes.

All the best to you.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

You can count carbs till the cows come home. When talking bout weight loss calories matter. You can stay with in a carb limit but eat over in calories.

Not saying you don't have medical issues as well just stating you don't track your calories and have stalled in your weight loss. You should be counting calories as well as sticking to a certain diet.

I have never had to count calories since I started low carbing in 2003. I had previously lost over 100 pounds without counting a single calorie and kept it off until the other health issues (thyroid, pituitary and adrenal issues) started rearing its head.

The doctor already told me until I get the Tumor under control that weight loss will be difficult. He actually told me that with my eating I should have lost many, many pounds..............he told me to focus on getting any other chemicals out of my eating (which means finding organics on the items I don't buy organic).

The doctor told me I am doing all the right things with my eating, I have pretty much gotten the Diabetes under control, which is a magnificent feat in itself.

i just can't lose any more weight...............We will see in the coming weeks after the meds that he prescribed get into my system good.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear what you are going through, that certainly can't be easy. Keep up the positive attitude, that should help. Chin up. Good luck :bigsmile:
  • leftyy2k4
    Options

I have never had to count calories since I started low carbing in 2003. I had previously lost over 100 pounds without counting a single calorie and kept it off until the other health issues (thyroid, pituitary and adrenal issues) started rearing its head.

The doctor already told me until I get the Tumor under control that weight loss will be difficult. He actually told me that with my eating I should have lost many, many pounds..............he told me to focus on getting any other chemicals out of my eating (which means finding organics on the items I don't buy organic).

The doctor told me I am doing all the right things with my eating, I have pretty much gotten the Diabetes under control, which is a magnificent feat in itself.

i just can't lose any more weight...............We will see in the coming weeks after the meds that he prescribed get into my system good.

You can't lose any more weight cause your calories intake now matches what you burn. I don;t know how you starved yourself or didn't before to lose weight. All I know is if you already track your carbs there is no reason not to track your calories.

Especially since it is a scientific fact that to burn fat and lose weight you must create a caloric deficit. The first thing I would be doing is tracking my intake. Since the goal is to get smaller and healthier.

Maybe some of us just want a magic pill. I dunno
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Lioness,
    We don't know each other well, but I have read many of your posts on these forums. I am glad you have some answers, and I admire your "no quitting" spirit. While I know that your way is not everyone's way, I respect that you do your research and let your brain make your choices for you. I trust that you will do the tough stuff that this journey requires and I will be proud of you when you meet your goals. Between now and then, hang in there and keep on keepin' on.
    -Beth
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    You and your doctor know your body better than anyone on here can, girl ... Keep doing what's good and right for you. I'm sorry you've had so many struggles but am glad you have some answers and some direction now. *hugs*
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hey Lioness - just ignore Lefty. :ohwell: On the bathtub cleaning - I've found that white vinegar and baking soda do wonders cutting through soap scum. My kids hate the smell of the vinegar when I use it to clean, but it goes away rather quickly. Good luck with all your new issues. I certainly hope you are successful in shrinking that tumor!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I agree with the bulk of responders to your post - keep fighting girl!

Look on www.alice.com for all natural cleaners. There are some really good ones on there and if you order enough items they deliver free to your door.

Good luck to you!
  • leftyy2k4
    Options
    Hey Lioness - just ignore Lefty. :ohwell: On the bathtub cleaning - I've found that white vinegar and baking soda do wonders cutting through soap scum. My kids hate the smell of the vinegar when I use it to clean, but it goes away rather quickly. Good luck with all your new issues. I certainly hope you are successful in shrinking that tumor!

I know right. Why should any of us ever count calories. Calories don't matter. Lol
  • leftyy2k4
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calories/wt00011

Mayo Clinic

"Despite all the diet strategies out there, weight management still comes down to the calories you take in versus those you burn off. Fad diets may promise you that avoiding carbs or eating a mountain of grapefruit is the secret to weight loss, but it's really all about calories."

"Your weight is a balancing act, but the equation is simple: If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight.

Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So if you cut 500 calories from your typical diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories)."

If you are not counting your calories you are banging your head against a wall. This is not rocket science.
  • leftyy2k4
    Options
    Heres another good article

http://www.dietbites.com/article1011.html

"Something's wrong with your scale. You're on a diet but the numbers aren't moving. Maybe it's time to Count That Carrot!"

"One plan of attack is to wise up on the number of calories contained in the foods we eat. One can count fat grams until the onset of world peace - and yes, fat intake is vital to total nutrition. However, unless you are in England, a pound is a pound is a pound, which comes to about 3,500 calories. If your normal calorie allotment is 2,000 calories per day and you take in 2,010 calories then the 10 calories will be stored as fat - even if they are derived from an innocent carrot. Of course, you'd have to pig-out on that extra carrot calorie count for about a year before it becomes melted into your thighs, but just how innocent is that carrot then?"

"Summing it all up, the message is simple. Take time for yourself because you're worth it! You don't have to go ape with the calorie counting but it's a wonderful monitoring tool when you're watching your waistline."
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

I know right. Why should any of us ever count calories. Calories don't matter. Lol

I do have to agree with Lefty to a point. I have been low carbing for about five years now and when I first read Dr. Atkins book about how we didn't need to count calories I was THRILLED I though heck I could eat what I want , only count carbs and lose weight. WRONG!!! At least for me it was WRONG!!!

So I joined WW and started counting points but also keeping my carb intake very low and low and behold I lost 65 lbs. almost instantly and within three months time at that. So for me I found that NOT counting calories was a big NO NO because all it did was frustrate the crud out of me.

All I can say is counting my calories , keeping my carbs low and below 100 grams a day has helped me TREMENDOUSLY and I have lost 14 more pounds here on MFP by doing just that. We are all different therefore what a book says could be true for some but not others. Just my two cents about that.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

You can't lose any more weight cause your calories intake now matches what you burn. I don;t know how you starved yourself or didn't before to lose weight. All I know is if you already track your carbs there is no reason not to track your calories.

Especially since it is a scientific fact that to burn fat and lose weight you must create a caloric deficit. The first thing I would be doing is tracking my intake. Since the goal is to get smaller and healthier.

Maybe some of us just want a magic pill. I dunno

Trust when I say this..............Low Carbing is not a "magic pill"...............It takes just as much hard work as someone who is counting calories.

I don't believe "conventional wisdom" with the calories in, calories out and I didn't post for you to debate with me on my eating habits when I know what works for me and I will continue to do what the Doctors have advised me to do.

Despite what you think, a low carb plan is NO Where near being a fad. Look up William Banting, low carb plans date back to the 1800's as mentioned in my quote below.

I have not starved myself in the past to lose weight on a low carb plan and I am not doing it now either. I am not losing weight because of health issues concerning Metabolic and Endocrine issues, none of which you know anything about, or you would not be posting the ridiculous articles to me.

I merely posted my findings to let people know that if you suspect something is going wrong in your body to make doctors keep digging until you find out what is wrong. Calories in / Calories out is not the simple resolution to many people's issues, especially us women.

So, Lefty, you are barking up the wrong tree with your responses as I am not going to debate with you, as you are detracting the reason I posted in the first place.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I do have to agree with Lefty to a point. I have been low carbing for about five years now and when I first read Dr. Atkins book about how we didn't need to count calories I was THRILLED I though heck I could eat what I want , only count carbs and lose weight. WRONG!!! At least for me it was WRONG!!!

So I joined WW and started counting points but also keeping my carb intake very low and low and behold I lost 65 lbs. almost instantly and within three months time at that. So for me I found that NOT counting calories was a big NO NO because all it did was frustrate the crud out of me.

All I can say is counting my calories , keeping my carbs low and below 100 grams a day has helped me TREMENDOUSLY and I have lost 14 more pounds here on MFP by doing just that. We are all different therefore what a book says could be true for some but not others. Just my two cents about that.

Maybe for some people calorie counting comes into play, but it has never been a factor for me in the past. The Doctor even told me today, going over my notebook that my calories are not that high.............Between 1300 and 1500 at most for most days. As a matter of fact, he told me to up my fat percentages a bit.

Lefty's posts have gotten way away from the reason I even posted. It was meant to be a post of if you think something is wrong, make your doctor work to find out what is going on, especially when you haven't changed what has been working for you in the past..............

I don't even have the energy to exercise most days. That is why my exercise is very sporadically posted. It is because of what is going on in my Endocrine system, not because of not enough or too many calories................
This discussion has been closed.