The DONT'S of weight loss...

Options

Replies

• missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't weight everyday

This actually doesn't work for me. I weigh myself every day to see the tiny up and down fluctuations that can happen. As long as I don't obsess about daily changes in my weight, weighing myself daily is actually helpful. Doing it once a week I find I put too much pressure on that number, whereas if I do it daily and it's just data, it's helpful but I don't freak out about it.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't eat food you don't like.
    Don't be afraid of the scale. Weigh yourself regularly.
    Don't think CICO doesn't apply to you. It does.
    Don't try to change everything at once. You can't.
    Don't believe anything from anybody who wants to sell you something.
    Don't postpone living and enjoying life till you hit goal weight.
    When you enter maintenance, don't stop doing what made you lose (except adjust to fit new calorie needs).
    Don't make things harder than necessary.
    Don't focus solely on weight goals; have behavioral goals.

Don't focus solely on weight goals is such an important one. You can't control your weight, but you can control your behaviour and that is what will make you successful.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Don't think that it's only you, sites like MFP wouldn't exist if that was true
    Don't be embarrassed to go to the gym. Everyone is there for the same reason-Health
    Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it- You Can
    Don't give up when the scale doesn't change- Believe in the process, it will
    Don't forget that slow and steady wins the race
    Don't believe EVERYTHING on the internet...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    missyfitz1 wrote: »
    Don't weight everyday

This actually doesn't work for me. I weigh myself every day to see the tiny up and down fluctuations that can happen. As long as I don't obsess about daily changes in my weight, weighing myself daily is actually helpful. Doing it once a week I find I put too much pressure on that number, whereas if I do it daily and it's just data, it's helpful but I don't freak out about it.

This is one of my pet peeves :# I actually wanted to write "Weigh yourself daily" exactly because of this. A large jump from one day to the next can't be fat - but from one week to the next, it could be, and I'd have no way to know, if I don't weigh daily.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Don't overeat.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    • Don't think being skinny will solve all your problems and make you happy in and of itself.
    • Don't assume you can or should offer to 'help' others lose weight, especially family.
    • Don't ever think the way YOU lost weight is the way EVERYONE should lose weight. (But offer your advice generously, when asked.)
    • Don't take on a skinny-pretty-b*tch attitude just cause you are 2/3 of those things. Wear lemur onesies. Make fun of yourself. Stay goofy.
    • Don't worry if you gain a little of the weight back in hard times. You can go right back down now, because you have the skills!
    • Don't dress so darn slutty now just because you feel so confident in your body and look great in that short skirt, Mapalicious. Work is a professional environment. Woops - learned that one fast.
    • Don't forget to feed your fiance more food, because he has the metabolism of a rhino. He will lose 20 lbs by accident while you just struggled to lose 8. Pour olive oil on his food. Live vicariously through his voracious food consumption.
    • Be patient. Be persistent. Be kind to yourself. Your worth is not based on the number on the scale.

I lost 125 lbs. That's some things I think about.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    missyfitz1 wrote: »
    Don't weight everyday

This is one of my pet peeves :# I actually wanted to write "Weigh yourself daily" exactly because of this. A large jump from one day to the next can't be fat - but from one week to the next, it could be, and I'd have no way to know, if I don't weigh daily.

Nothing wrong with daily weigh ins, they help us understand fluctuation hows/whys.
    I see mfp friends stressing all the time over the scale when a daily weigh in and using a trending app would make everything clear.
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    SeanNJ wrote: »
    mita271 wrote: »
    Oh and DO NOT forget that by just making a decision and beeing here ur are already a WINNER

Sorry, but that's awful. Diabetes, heart disease, and cancer don't respect participation trophies.

Um.... have you checked the sensitivity on your righteous indignance-o-meter lately? Methinks you need to turn it down.

Putting in the effort to LOSE the weight, by being here, is worthy of a slap on the back. That's what she meant.

And I disagree. It's the equivalent of changing a Facebook profile picture in support of <insert thing here>, i.e. slacktivism. Makes you feel better about having done something without having actually done anything at all. It shouldn't be encouraged.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Oh and DO NOT forget that by just making a decision and beeing here ur are already a WINNER

Sorry, but that's awful. Diabetes, heart disease, and cancer don't respect participation trophies.

Um.... have you checked the sensitivity on your righteous indignance-o-meter lately? Methinks you need to turn it down.

Putting in the effort to LOSE the weight, by being here, is worthy of a slap on the back. That's what she meant.

And I disagree. It's the equivalent of changing a Facebook profile picture in support of <insert thing here>, i.e. slacktivism. Makes you feel better about having done something without having actually done anything at all. It shouldn't be encouraged.

Wow you're a tough customer. I would clearly epic fail at being your friend. How do the people in your life live up to your massive expectations?
  • SeanNJ
    Options

Wow you're a tough customer. I would clearly epic fail at being your friend. How do the people in your life live up to your massive expectations?

The only expectation I have of them is that they not expect me to blow smoke up their *kitten*.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options

The only expectation I have of them is that they not expect me to blow smoke up their *kitten*.

creation_of_man_fist_bump.jpg
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a diet, it is a healthy way of living and to enjoy it for the rest of your life! Love it and embrace it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

And congratulating someone for finally getting their **** together and starting to lose weight is within the category of smoke-blowing for you?
  • Mapalicious
    Options

I'm with you, girl ;) He's broken my rule of "don't expect that every one can lose weight the same way that you did"

We've got different paths...and for me, when I was morbidly obese, it took me SO MUCH WORK just to get to the point where i recognized the relationship between my body, food, and before I could accept the need to lose weight without spiraling into self-hatred. So for me it was AMAZING that I got on MFP at all. And I never would have lost 125 lbs if I didn't do all that work do even begin the journey. It doesn't work for everyone...but it sure did for me!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to change your weight. You're supposed to change the way you live.
  • SeanNJ
    edited February 2016
    Options

And congratulating someone for finally getting their **** together and starting to lose weight is within the category of smoke-blowing for you?

If all they've done is create an account on a website, then uh...yeah. I can go buy a piano tomorrow. Until I actually learn how to play it a little, then it would be disingenuous of me to call myself a piano player, I think.

But fine...baby steps. Everyone's a winner when they think about doing something.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    #1 Dont compare yourself to others.
    #2 Set realistic goals (longer than you'd like)
    #3 Learn moderation/portion control
    #4 EAT!! And Eat the things you love.
    #5 Dont lose the weight in a method that is not something you can do forever (ie: sustain/ maintain)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

If all they've done is create an account on a website, then uh...yeah. I can go buy a piano tomorrow. Until I actually learn how to play it a little, then it would disingenuous of me to call myself a piano player, I think.

Then I will be absolutely certain not to congratulate you on finally getting a hobby, should there ever come a time when you elect to go buy a piano. But that's not what I was talking about. Showing up alone, not so much, but being here and sticking around, great first step and well deserving a notation of "hey great first step!".
  • SeanNJ
    Options

If all they've done is create an account on a website, then uh...yeah. I can go buy a piano tomorrow. Until I actually learn how to play it a little, then it would disingenuous of me to call myself a piano player, I think.

Then I will be absolutely certain not to congratulate you on finally getting a hobby, should there ever come a time when you elect to go buy a piano. But that's not what I was talking about. Showing up alone, not so much, but being here and sticking around, great first step and well deserving a notation of "hey great first step!".

No problem with phrasing it that way, but that's not how the OP phrased it, and that matters. The way you stated it has the implication that they're not nearly done, and I'm all for encouragement. But...
    ...is wrong.
  • Mapalicious
    Options

No problem with phrasing it that way, but that's not how the OP phrased it, and that matters. The way you stated it has the implication that they're not nearly done, and I'm all for encouragement. But...
    ...is wrong.

Hey there, @SeanNJ - for me and the other poster apparently, just being here (counting my calories at all) WAS a HUGE step that took a lot of work on the way to my 125 lb loss. Clearly, it's not for you.

Here's one of my weightloss Don'ts: "Don't think that the way YOU lost weight is the way everyone is going to lose weight. We all have different paths."