The DONT'S of weight loss...

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Don't weight everyday

Why not weigh every day? Some people like having the data.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I like rewarding myself with food too, even though I am not a dog.

Obviously I mean sensible treats within calorie limit, not 20 family size pizzas.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Don't preach! Your "one true way©" is not for everyone and no one really cares to hear you spout off a bunch pseudoscience and woo to support your uninformed anecdotal stance.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Don't think that one bad day, decision, meal means that you should throw your hands in the air and proceed to make 1,000 more poor decisions before "getting back on track."

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Don't think that because the number on the scale isn't moving at the moment, that you're doing something wrong. Weight loss is never linear.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Don't forget to love yourself while you're getting to the weight you want to be.

I love every single post here and I am going to save this link to read often but this is my fave
  • adortchable
    adortchable Posts: 6 Member
    Don't accept excuses from yourself.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Oh and DO NOT forget that by just making a decision and beeing here ur are already a WINNER
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Don't expect perfection from yourself. It's ok to have the occasional day off plan.

Don't forget to take rest days. Your body will thank you.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Patience - it took a long time to put the weight on, so it's not coming off in 2 weeks.
    CICO - If you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight over time.
    Do starve - I tend to lose more if I keep my calories up relative to my exercise.
    Normal foods - I can eat normal foods (I don't have to "diet"). Just eat less than I was.
    Be active - Any time spent walking, jogging, stretching is better than that time being spent sitting on my butt.
    Use MFP - This sight keeps you motivated and with the right friends you feel like you have support.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Don't weight everyday

Why not weigh every day? Some people like having the data.

I would change this one to "don't weigh everyday if you don't want to". Personally, I like to weigh every day. I findit motivating and I like to see my downward graph. But I don't think that anyone needs to weigh daily if they don't want to.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Don't set unrealistic expectations for yourself.
    Don't feel like you should suffer for getting fat and
    Don't make yourself miserable while losing weight
    Don't forget that this is your life. Only you can decide what sort of routine you can live with.

Don't get upset if nobody says anything about your weight loss for a long while, Nobody said anything to me until I'd lost 40 pounds. Most times they're worried of saying the wrong thing.

Don't make any changes to your diet that you don't plan on sticking to long-term. Losing weight one way and then changing once you hit maintenance makes for a difficult maintenance.

Don't forget that all activity is good. It doesn't matter if it's actual "exercise". Just being active around the house, yard, neighborhood, at work...all of that makes a big difference in your calories spent during the day.

Don't forget to pat yourself on the back when you do well. Every time you stick to your goals or go to the gym when you didn't want to...you deserve to feel good about yourself. Remember to mentally congratulate yourself on the little things.

Don't feel bad if you have days when you just don't feel motivated. Eating at maintenance for a day or to to regroup isn't the end of the world. Just be sure to log it.

Don't give up. Take as long as you need to. Take detours and vacations. Just don't quit on yourself. There is no deadline, so only you will know if you've quit. As long as you're still trying, you're still winning.

This pretty much sums it all up!!! Great advice @HappyCampr1 !!
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    mita271 wrote: »
    Oh and DO NOT forget that by just making a decision and beeing here ur are already a WINNER

Sorry, but that's awful. Diabetes, heart disease, and cancer don't respect participation trophies.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    SeanNJ wrote: »
    mita271 wrote: »

Sorry, but that's awful. Diabetes, heart disease, and cancer don't respect participation trophies.

Um.... have you checked the sensitivity on your righteous indignance-o-meter lately? Methinks you need to turn it down.

Putting in the effort to LOSE the weight, by being here, is worthy of a slap on the back. That's what she meant.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Don't eat food you don't like.
    Don't be afraid of the scale. Weigh yourself regularly.
    Don't think CICO doesn't apply to you. It does.
    Don't try to change everything at once. You can't.
    Don't believe anything from anybody who wants to sell you something.
    Don't postpone living and enjoying life till you hit goal weight.
    When you enter maintenance, don't stop doing what made you lose (except adjust to fit new calorie needs).
    Don't make things harder than necessary.
    Don't focus solely on weight goals; have behavioral goals.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Don't focus on the scale - focus on how much better you feel and how much more energy you have. The weight loss can take a while or plateau and that can threaten your motivation.