I'm sick, I give myself a pass .. - do you do this?

Options
majigurl
majigurl Posts: 660 Member
Do you guys give yourself a free pass when you are sick?

I'm HORRIBLE for that!!
I don't count calories, I do NOTHING.

I fool myself into thinking I need all these calories to get better again lol

LIES!

So, I was sick the last 2 days.. ate EVERYTHING and did NOTHING ..

Please let me know I'm not the only one that does this. :D

Replies

• drajel
    drajel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually don't like eating when I am sick so I loose more weight. if I just have a cold I force myself to go to the gym. Even if I just sit on a bike with no resistance at least I feel better about my day. as for food with the cold I usually try and drink more liquids (soups, teas, etc) so I do eat more but its mostly brothy stuff. I am sure my sodium intake is off the charts when im sick but I don't see that much of a difference
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat less when I'm sick, but still not usually balanced or nutritiously, but I don't really care much about calories and weight loss when I'm sick. If I lose weight it's temporary, and I try to focus on just feeling better. I don't think you should go too crazy if you can help it because that won't help you feel better either, but I would not spend a lot of energy on what you're eating or on tracking. Just get some rest and feel better!
  • majigurl
    Options
    Oh no.. I'm not overly worried about it. Not even kinda.. I just find it funny how I click into "I'm sick ... I don't have to care" mode when I'm sick.

Ginger Ale and peanut butter sandwiches are my big weaknesses when I'm sick. lol
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Nope. I still stick to my calorie goal (although I tend not to eat when I'm sick) and I use those days as my rest days. No matter what I make sure I work out 5 days a week.
  • Beauty_For_Ashes
    Beauty_For_Ashes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for carbs when I'm sick - Panda Express is my kryptonite, but I have found different soups and stuff that I like as well, so when I feel like I'm getting sick, I lean on those instead. I don't get sick often, so I haven't really figured out if I track or not track...hmm...well that's interesting. I don't really know if I track or not. lol
  • raesayhey
    raesayhey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally do this! Sometimes eating is the only thing that makes my sore throat tolerable (more than tea or lozenges).
    So I just give up counting and focus on napping, feeling better, and eating soup and oranges and everything else.
    You're not alone :tongue:
  • majigurl
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm a sucker for carbs when I'm sick - Panda Express is my kryptonite, but I have found different soups and stuff that I like as well, so when I feel like I'm getting sick, I lean on those instead. I don't get sick often, so I haven't really figured out if I track or not track...hmm...well that's interesting. I don't really know if I track or not. lol

Same. I don't get sick very often.
    I also don't do rest days or cheat days when I'm feeling well. Might be why I give myself passes when I'm sick. ( I'm not talking just a cold, I'm talking, I can't get off the couch I feel like death has wrapped itself around me, sick lol )

I was sick last 2 days at home. Pass for both! ( I don't eat cake or chips .. but ginger ale and sandwiches and I don't count any of it!!! lol )

I'm back at work today and it just feels like a cold now, so back to it all!

I'm not worried it will do anything in the long run. It was 2 days out of 60? Big deal. I just find it interesting (funny) that I do this. :p Curious if anyone else did.

• majigurl
    Options
    raesayhey wrote: »
    I totally do this! Sometimes eating is the only thing that makes my sore throat tolerable (more than tea or lozenges).
    So I just give up counting and focus on napping, feeling better, and eating soup and oranges and everything else.
    You're not alone :tongue:

It's also the only time I allow myself to drink Orange juice. I avoid drinking my calories ( other than my one coffee in the morning).

I've seen people look deathly sick at the gym and I think it's wrong. STAY HOME!! You're going to get US sick.

• ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I go into idc mode but I still attempt to log though I really don't eat much at all when I'm sick. My go to is Gatorade. And crackers.
  • majigurl
    Options
    I go into idc mode but I still attempt to log though I really don't eat much at all when I'm sick. My go to is Gatorade. And crackers.

Oh the IDC mode!! That's exactly me.
    I eat way more when sick. Interesting that many others don't eat much.
    I get a nagging feeling that if I don't eat enough when I'm sick, it will take me twice as long to get healthy again.
    Maybe my mom said something to me that has stuck in my subconscious. lol

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I still log when I'm sick, primarily because I'm just lying around doing nothing.
  • FitAndLegit
    FitAndLegit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am just getting over a pretty bad upper respiratory infection and I decided it was best to steer clear of the gym for at least a few days. As for the food, I noticed I consumed more carbs but so much less food in a whole day. I ended up losing a few pounds this weekend because of it. Most soups in a cup or can are loaded with sodium so I tried to increase my water/fluid intake. The main goal is that you get yourself better! its okay to splurge a little when you're under the weather! My craving to snack went right up!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I'm getting over a bad cold myself was really sick for like a total of 3 days. The one day in the middle was really bad so I didn't track, but I mostly ate only toast and cereal and tea. Didn't work out at all, was way too sick to even try and probably not a responsible thing to go to the gym and spread my germs anyway. Best thing over all is just listen to my body, sleep when it wants, eat what it wants (within reason) and let it get better.
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i pass on the exercise obviously but i still log my cals. for the past week i've struggled to reach 1500 so i think a little more will come off than usual when i weigh in
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Oddly, I haven't been sick since I lost weight and started working out....so, I dunno? Lol
  • majigurl
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I still log when I'm sick, primarily because I'm just lying around doing nothing.

I go into idc mode.. ( love this term now )
    Usually if I'm not counting it, I'm not even on my phone to be able to do it. I would have to add it all in after the fact. At that point, I'm feeling better and looking at that day. Those sick days are a blip.

If I don't put in my stats for that day, I never will. Never been the type to look back haha

• majigurl
    Options
    I am just getting over a pretty bad upper respiratory infection and I decided it was best to steer clear of the gym for at least a few days. As for the food, I noticed I consumed more carbs but so much less food in a whole day. I ended up losing a few pounds this weekend because of it. Most soups in a cup or can are loaded with sodium so I tried to increase my water/fluid intake. The main goal is that you get yourself better! its okay to splurge a little when you're under the weather! My craving to snack went right up!

good job! You're my new hero today for not going to the gym..

You and other posters have made me wonder if I am consuming more calories while I'm sick or it just appears to be.

I never log them, so how do I know. I FEEL I'm eating way more especially since I'm not working out or being active.

I'm going to go take the time and actively log my last 2 days. This will be new for me to do..

I wonder why we crave carbs?

• GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options
    When I do get sick, which thankfully isn't often, I have to force myself to eat as I have no appetite at all. I don't worry too much about macros when sick. As for working out I'd have to pretty much be in the hospital before I would skip doing something, even if it's just walking the track. But if you over eat while. you're sick I wouldn't worry about it. Do what you have to do to get better.
  • majigurl
    Options
    Just calculated one of my days. I'm about 200 cals over. which in my head is 700 cals over because I didn't move. over 2 days. that's 1400 Cals .

Not bad. I thought I was overeating by a good 1000 cals a day. Way WAY more carbs though. wow!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ill give myself a pass on working out, but not on how much i eat. though if im around maintenance i don care.