I'm sick, I give myself a pass .. - do you do this?

Options

Replies

• _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I still eat within calories. Normally far under if I'm really sick.
    Keep running.
    Keep moving.

• wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    I give myself a pass on working out when I'm too sick to move. I usually drink a lot of tea, gatorade, or ginger ale and I'll eat soup with crackers. I still try and track everything, and if I go over in my calories, it's usually from the juices/tea.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Last time I had campylobacter I couldn't eat for three days and didn't even feel remotely hungry. That fast was only forcefully broken when my Mother threatened to force feed me as I'd lost about 10 lbs in that time.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this maybe goes back to being a kid and getting pampered when you were sick? (Although I don't think parents tend to do that so much any more.) I think we all want some extra comfort when we're not feeling well, and sometimes that might be food, and for a couple of days it's not going to do any harm. But we should probably try to fight the urge to go nuts. And can I just add, sick people... STAY HOME! *Maybe* you have to go to work, but otherwise do the rest of us a favor! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Usually when I'm sick I have very little appetite. I tend to eat a lot of soup which is pretty low in calories.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    This is something I need to work on. When I am sick, I may not eat as much but I tend to go for high calorie, sugary junk food. I also drink way more calories, especially if I have a sore throat and spend all day drinking hot tea with honey.

The last couple weeks I haven't been sick but have been in nearly constant pain. I have really been fighting my urges to say I don't care and eat a bazillion calories. I have only been semi-successful but it is something I am becoming more aware of and consciously trying to change.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Kind of..... I just got over a 2 week respiratory infection, so I gave myself a pass regarding not training, but I still log my food and focus on getting decent nutrition/vitamins in.
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Maybe not when I'm sick because I tend to eat less if I feel queasy or if my nose is too congested to breathe while I'm eating. I hate that. I don't really work out when I'm sick though, too afraid of getting sick in the gym. That would be awful. Usually I just take it easy and eat bland foods, then get back on the wagon as soon as I can with my workouts.
    What I'm notorious for is giving myself a huge break when I have my cycle. I've been better this time but on my most crampy/hungry/grumpy day I usually give myself at least one cheat meal. I'll definitely be eating a hamburger later. I don't workout either because I'm not one of those people that gets relief from cramping from working out, it gets WAY worse and it's uncomfortable in general, and also because I get super crabby and can't stand the other people in the gym on those days lol. I have to be antisocial on those days. :smile:
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hey, another thing that just came to mind is that if you read anything about intermittent fasting they're pretty adamant that CICO doesn't matter as much as it does on a bigger scale, like weekly. So if I do go over my calories one day, I don't give up, I just resolve to maybe do a 12 hour fast later in the week or do a veggies only day to make it up. I like the notion that it's okay to look at our calories in/calories out on a larger scale. It's easier to accommodate those crappy days when you need them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i just try to eat at maintenance and not worry too much depending on how sick i am
    exercising depends on how sick i am
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm home sick today. I'm just focusing on trying not to die.

I skipped breakfast but I did just eat a decent lunch. I just try to listen to whatever my body wants. If it's hungry, I eat, if it's tired, I lie down. If I feel like walking around the house a little bit, I'll do that.

I pretty much never exercise when I'm sick (unless it's like the tail-end of a head cold). My general rule is "When you're sick, act sick". i.e. don't pretend you're fine and push through if what you really need is rest. I used to just "suck it up" in the past and found I was sick for longer periods of time, and usually it was WORSE (i.e. start with a virus end up with a secondary infection). Now as soon as I feel something coming on I rest and eat and just try to get better.

Hope you recover quickly!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I'm home sick today. I'm just focusing on trying not to die.

I skipped breakfast but I did just eat a decent lunch. I just try to listen to whatever my body wants. If it's hungry, I eat, if it's tired, I lie down. If I feel like walking around the house a little bit, I'll do that.

I pretty much never exercise when I'm sick (unless it's like the tail-end of a head cold). My general rule is "When you're sick, act sick". i.e. don't pretend you're fine and push through if what you really need is rest. I used to just "suck it up" in the past and found I was sick for longer periods of time, and usually it was WORSE (i.e. start with a virus end up with a secondary infection). Now as soon as I feel something coming on I rest and eat and just try to get better.

Hope you recover quickly!

yes!
    I used to do this also. I would force threw it and half kill myself! now I let myself BE SICK!

That's me now. rest, eat. get better.

Hope you feel better soon also!

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. I don't do that. I don't feel well today and want to eat everything, so I'm making a protein blondie pie so I can have something sweet but stay on track. I'll nap. And do what I can in the gym later.
  • Slateofamuse
    Slateofamuse Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't usually when I'm sick, I just try and sleep it off. But that damn monthly visitor always tries to derail EVERYTHING! Sometimes I give into it :/
  • majigurl
    Options
    I don't usually when I'm sick, I just try and sleep it off. But that damn monthly visitor always tries to derail EVERYTHING! Sometimes I give into it :/

one word for that week.

Chocolate.. argh lol

Though that I'm pretty good at resisting, but wow those cravings!

• Slateofamuse
    Slateofamuse Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »

one word for that week.

Chocolate.. argh lol

ya they hit and they hit hard, I havr walked thru snow storms just to get cookies lol

• arditarose
    Options

one word for that week.

Chocolate.. argh lol

This has been a really rough week for me considering pms sweets cravings. One night I saved enough calories to eat a whole pint of ben and jerry's froyo. Today I made a protein cookie. Chocolate protein bars helped too.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I end up frustrating myself. When I get head colds, sinus infections, or ear infections and the rest of my body feels okay, I try to do basic things around the house. Cleaning bathrooms, doing dishes, cleaning my toddler and four year old's rooms, ect. I'll have energy for about an hour and then stop and rest. But this just makes me feel worse when I do lay down. In terms of counting calories, I try to at least record what I'm eating and not worry about calorie amount. Not so much because I'm worried about what I'm eating, but because my hunger will be affected by it for the next few days after I'm sick. I'll be more hungry at certain times than others, and I can get a sense of when I'll be at my most hungry and I can eat lots of protein at that point and stay within my calorie goals as I get better.
  • majigurl
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

one word for that week.

Chocolate.. argh lol

This has been a really rough week for me considering pms sweets cravings. One night I saved enough calories to eat a whole pint of ben and jerry's froyo. Today I made a protein cookie. Chocolate protein bars helped too.

Oh! the smarts be strong with you!
    I seriously need to take a page from your book and do this!!

• arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

one word for that week.

Chocolate.. argh lol

Oh! the smarts be strong with you!
    I seriously need to take a page from your book and do this!!

I've been at this for awhile. And I've spent countless hours in the grocery store comparing calories to see how I can get the best bang for my buck, and coming up with lower calorie sweet recipes I like! Start on the google lol.