17 day diet

Options
124»

Replies

• icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just because you can google something doesn't make it true. This plan is ridiculous and unsustainable. Lots of woo.

Are you a poet? B)
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This is the wrong site to be promoting a fad woo-filled "diet". So many of us have been there done that and know it is a marketing ploy to only rid you of excess cash it just doesn't tempt us anymore.

For those still seeking miracles, move along, this is NOT Magic Fitness Pal.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    This is the wrong site to be promoting a fad woo-filled "diet". So many of us have been there done that and know it is a marketing ploy to only rid you of excess cash it just doesn't tempt us anymore.

For those still seeking miracles, move along, this is NOT Magic Fitness Pal.

Throwing this out there, I like your style!!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you go to "Groups" at the top and search for "17 day" there are four pages of 17 day support groups on MFP -- which is where your question likely should have gone rather than here in the General group.

That said, here's my two cents' worth. You know what? Anything works short term. I'm 69 years old and have tried it all over the years. There's a reason why there are more "special diets" today than ever, but Americans are fatter than ever. What works is making permanent lifestyle changes. Going on a diet for a certain amount of time is setting yourself up for failure; many people (including me) lose the weight, become complacent, and see the weight creep back on. Here's how decades of fad diets have failed to help Americans lose weight and keep it off:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2013/04/obesity_in_america_cdc_releases_gif_of_epidemic_over_time.html

So you do this diet and lose the weight. Congratulations. That's the easy part; what are you going to do then?
  • nursechunkie
    nursechunkie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not knocking anyone who has tried/done this, we all go about this journey in our own way and on our own time. However....I tried this "plan" about a year ago... I made it 5 days before my husband forcibly shut it down. I was weak, tired, hangry, and scarily starting to loose concentration and living in a fog (not a good thing as I'm a nurse). And I followed the book to the T. Everybody is different and this is just me sharing my experience:) I'll take the extra time to count those calories versus being so nutrient deprived I was not "me"
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Op.doesnt even need the pat on the back now...she found master cleanse.....#headdesk
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    chrisbcats wrote: »
    The question was who was with me? Not against me.
    Everyone needs to educate themselves before becoming experts on the 17 day diet. Mostly everyone who commented have never heard of the diet until today and are just going by the title. If you are guilty of this, Google is your friend. Or better yet download the book and see for yourself it isn't a fad, it is a lifestyle change completed in 17 day increments.

Great marketing approach, but I'm still not buying it. Fad diets using the words "lifestyle change" as part of their marketing strategy.

Lifestyle change (by definition) is a permanent change. Something you are willing to change forever. Elimination diets and lifestyle changes don't mix. The vast majority of people are going to fall off the wagon at some point.

Lifestyle changes are not something one needs to "start over" on (Christinapear). You regain because a diet is not sustainable long term.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Op.doesnt even need the pat on the back now...she found master cleanse.....#headdesk

I missed where she transitioned to that other fad.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used it a few years back when I first started trying to lose. I actually found it helpful in helping me start, but I would never be able to do it long term. (I lasted through 2 cycle 1 & 2 phases. Then started MFP)

The first few days of the first cycle is hard, but by the end of it "real" food tasted better, as I had cut out all the junk food. That is the only benefit for me that has been long lasting. Helped me to choose mostly healthy with the ocassional treat instead of just junk all day long.

But I have learned far more about weight loss and how to be successful through calories in, calories out and MFP advice boards.

Good luck to you on 17 day. My biggest tip is to have plenty of lean protein choices and allowed veggies prepped and ready to go. It will help when the hunger pangs and sugar cravings come. That, and Tylenol or ibuprofen for the headaches (1st few days of sugar drop cause them for some).
  • Sonda89
    Sonda89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I just wanted to offer some encouragement. I've got a metabolic issue in regards to carbs & this "diet" has been wonderful. Yes there are some things I saw as "diet" mentality red flags as well. I discussed it with my doctor & dietician. I brought the book for both of them & they approved. There can be pit falls in any lifestyle change. I've seen many people talk about "starting back" on MFP after holidays and gaining weight back the same way people start again on the 17DD or any other routine change. It's not about not succeeding, it's about recommitting to your health! Just know not to punish yourself, to be patient with yourself, and to listen to your body and you won't be "hangry", you won't gain everything back, and you'll slowly rebuild your relationship with food, your body, & mind all while being able to build toward your ideal goals. Good luck with your new lifestyle!
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hey OP. So MFP is sort of a way of life for everyone here and it's what's working for them which is why so many people aren't enthusiastic about ANY specific diet. And with good reason because probably many of them have been through the cycle of dieting and gaining a number of times it watched friends do it. What they've said is true.
    That being said, I did the 17 day diet twice, and my hubby did it as well (lost 17 lbs and I lost 12 - much of which would be water weight of course). Personally, I used to like doing diets because I needed someone else to give me strict rules on what to eat because I was bad at self regulating or being balanced. And each diet I did taught me something valuable so I don't regret it. But ultimately , I hadn't changed my mind set to truly finding something that I knew I could sustain. By all means try it out, but maybe after the rounds have a plan for incorporating food that you realistically are going to want to eat again, but in a balanced way. mFP with a calorie goal is a great way to do it. Good luck !! (Also - you will be super grouchy on this diet so prepare yourself and those around you )
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    OP you say you've done this diet before, and now say you're doing it again... sooo you're back trying to lose weight.

What does that say about the diet?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The OP is a year old, and hasn't been here since June of '16.