Why You Probably Don’t Need to Eat a Gluten Free Diet

Options

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    FTR, my husband has Crohn's disease, and he has no trouble with digesting gluten. For him, it is spicy foods, especially the pepper family, and too much fiber that can give him trouble. Certain leafy greens and whole grains are restricted, though he digests white bread and refined grains very well.

Interesting! I admittedly know very little about Chrohn's but my cousin's husband has it and he can only digest white bread and refined grains. Cruciferous vegetables and whole grains are also restricted.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    What was the point in posting this article? To berate those of us who have non-GI issues that have cleared up by going gluten-free feel ridiculous? It's not like we don't hear these arguments in our every day lives... I've had a number of GI issues that have mostly cleared up by not consuming dairy, but I also have non-GI issues. Miraculously, these issues (namely acne and migraines) cleared up after going gluten free for 3 months. The tone of this article sounds exactly like my family doctor - even though they cleared up by going gluten free, it has nothing to do with a gluten intolerance and instead, I should be taking medication for migraines even though said medication has never ever worked. Really? Last Friday I ate gluten (pizza). I've had a migraine since then. Coincidence? Perhaps. But it's a pretty strong coincidence and if not eating gluten means not getting migraines, then I think I'll stick with a gluten free diet. It has nothing to do with weight loss. It has EVERYTHING to do with quality of life.

the point of posting it is to tell people that if gluten doesn't make you ill, it's okay to eat it, and only people who are made ill by it need to avoid it, ....because a lot of people are being told that gluten makes *everyone* ill and *no-one* should eat it.

if gluten made you ill, and stopping eating it made you better, then you have one of the problems listed. In fact I seem to recall reading in the article that one of the problems listed in the article can cause non-GI symptoms as well as or instead of GI ones. So you'd be in that category.

I don't see anything anywhere in the entire article that berates anyone who suffers from health issues from gluten for giving up gluten. It merely advises those that don't suffer health issues from it that they don't have to give it up and eating it won't harm them.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    What was the point in posting this article? To berate those of us who have non-GI issues that have cleared up by going gluten-free feel ridiculous? It's not like we don't hear these arguments in our every day lives... I've had a number of GI issues that have mostly cleared up by not consuming dairy, but I also have non-GI issues. Miraculously, these issues (namely acne and migraines) cleared up after going gluten free for 3 months. The tone of this article sounds exactly like my family doctor - even though they cleared up by going gluten free, it has nothing to do with a gluten intolerance and instead, I should be taking medication for migraines even though said medication has never ever worked. Really? Last Friday I ate gluten (pizza). I've had a migraine since then. Coincidence? Perhaps. But it's a pretty strong coincidence and if not eating gluten means not getting migraines, then I think I'll stick with a gluten free diet. It has nothing to do with weight loss. It has EVERYTHING to do with quality of life.

:flowerforyou: Thank you Lynn!! Took the words right out of my mouth. I was also going to post something in regards to Crohns disease as well as I have friends who have experienced the same exact issue.

Great responses. Carry on everyone! :drinker:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    because a lot of people are being told that gluten makes *everyone* ill and *no-one* should eat it.

I dont think ive ever read that anywhere......ever
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    because a lot of people are being told that gluten makes *everyone* ill and *no-one* should eat it.

i don't think i've read that either! OP's article does feel a bit like a shaming post.

as my best friend and her whole family have issues with gluten, i love that we can go out to restaurants again and she hasn't had to quiz the server on preparation methods and ingredients. those handy little "GF" signs do all the work.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    What was the point in posting this article? To berate those of us who have non-GI issues that have cleared up by going gluten-free feel ridiculous?

No, it was to provide people with objective information on whether eating a gluten free diet may be a good choice for them so they could make informed choices.

I suspect many people will find it useful in doing so.

Thanks.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Unless you legitimately have celiacs or gluten intolerances, you don't have to avoid gluten. You can if you want but it's just a protein and a few people, similar to those that don't produce lactase to break down the milk protein lactose, just don't have the ability to break it down effectively.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

go look on any website that advocates the paleo diet...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am gluten-free and have been for over two years. I have Crohn's disease and the past two years have been the only time since I have been diagnosed that I have been medication free and have had minimal symptoms of my disease. In fact, this year I finally did something I never thought I would be able to do...I ran my first marathon. And yes, I attribute this to my gluten-free diet. And while I understand that maybe I am not the typical target audience of this article, it still angers me that people feel the need to treat others condescendingly because of personal choices that they make that may be different than their own.

Do I think that everybody should be on a gluten free diet? Of course not. Do I fault anyone for trying it? Absolutely not. Here is the deal: This diet is a very difficult diet to follow. Bottom line is that you are only going to stick with it over the long haul if the payoff is noticeable.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

i don't think i've read that either! OP's article does feel a bit like a shaming post.

as my best friend and her whole family have issues with gluten, i love that we can go out to restaurants again and she hasn't had to quiz the server on preparation methods and ingredients. those handy little "GF" signs do all the work.

I see it all the time! On MFP, on Facebook, in "Health Food" store propaganda.
  • myofibril
    Options
    OP's article does feel a bit like a shaming post.

Can I ask you what specifically in the OP caused you to come to the conclusion that it was was a "shaming" post please?
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is a very well written post. Truth be told, if you feel that gluten is causing you issues and you have cut it out and it works, then perhaps you do have an allergy or sensitivity; BUT, most people do not have any issues in this area and to jump on the bandwagon without having a reason for doing it reminds me of those people who jump on Atkins, Grapefruit diet, etc. I asked my registered dietician point blank if she feels that GF would be worth my trying and she referred me to an article she had written which is very similar to the OP argument.

There are some here who seem offended by this position, but I must admit I get offended when faced by the GF police I work with who constantly preach their methodology. Don't hate me because I am eating a nice veggie-filled PITA. It's what works for me!
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Granted that the internet is a big place so not everyone reads the same sites, but there are a LOT of websites out there that are promoting the idea that all grains are harmful, that gluten is harmful to everyone, some even go as far as to say it's toxic... go look at any websites advocating the paleo diet for examples...

you may not have seen it specifically, but there is a lot of it out there. the popular book "wheat belly" is a classic example
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    FTR, my husband has Crohn's disease, and he has no trouble with digesting gluten. For him, it is spicy foods, especially the pepper family, and too much fiber that can give him trouble. Certain leafy greens and whole grains are restricted, though he digests white bread and refined grains very well.

Interesting! I admittedly know very little about Chrohn's but my cousin's husband has it and he can only digest white bread and refined grains. Cruciferous vegetables and whole grains are also restricted.

It causes blockages. Basically, Crohn's is where the lining of the gut begins to break down. I've been married to him 19 years and have become practically an expert. :laugh:

But the trigger foods do seem to vary between individuals. Too much fiber is a common cause of flare-ups.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

the point of posting it is to tell people that if gluten doesn't make you ill, it's okay to eat it, and only people who are made ill by it need to avoid it, ....because a lot of people are being told that gluten makes *everyone* ill and *no-one* should eat it.

if gluten made you ill, and stopping eating it made you better, then you have one of the problems listed. In fact I seem to recall reading in the article that one of the problems listed in the article can cause non-GI symptoms as well as or instead of GI ones. So you'd be in that category.

No, if you keep reading the article, it then says that even if you fall into that category, you "probably" do not need to avoid gluten. It's basically saying if it's a GI symptom, then it's true. If not, then it's all in your mind. And frankly, I AM SO TIRED OF HEARING THAT.

Yes it says that people with mild wheat allergies may not need to avoid wheat altogether. There's nowhere in the article that berates people who have non-GI symptoms of wheat allergy for avoiding wheat, or anyone else who's actually made ill by wheat for avoiding it. I'm sure you're sick of hearing that you don't really have a problem with gluten.... but the article isn't saying that you don't. It's not berating anyone. It's aimed at people who have bought into a current fad (i.e. grain hating/wheat hating diets) who are avoiding wheat because books like wheat belly told them it's toxic, but who actually are not made ill by wheat at all. And even then, it doesn't berate those people, it explains the truth to them.

I'm sorry that there are people out there who don't take your illness seriously.... but surely you'd understand that it's a problem when healthy people who don't actually have any problems from eating wheat, are scared into avoiding it by books that imply that it's toxic for everyone...?
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who are trying to stay away from gluten, my cousin has gone completely gluten free and swears she feels so much better and somehow they did some "test' (but the results were based on her feelings...)

Does gluten really physically make her sick? Who knows. But she seems to feel a lot better now that she's gluten free. It may be just because she BELIEVES gluten gives her problems, but she's still better off.

I, on the other hand, don't think I'll believe I'll feel better. So no gluten free for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am gluten-free and have been for over two years. I have Crohn's disease and the past two years have been the only time since I have been diagnosed that I have been medication free and have had minimal symptoms of my disease. In fact, this year I finally did something I never thought I would be able to do...I ran my first marathon. And yes, I attribute this to my gluten-free diet. And while I understand that maybe I am not the typical target audience of this article, it still angers me that people feel the need to treat others condescendingly because of personal choices that they make that may be different than their own.

Do I think that everybody should be on a gluten free diet? Of course not. Do I fault anyone for trying it? Absolutely not. Here is the deal: This diet is a very difficult diet to follow. Bottom line is that you are only going to stick with it over the long haul if the payoff is noticeable.

It is possible that it has more to do with fiber than gluten. But either way, great job on becoming med-free! My husband has been off the prescription drugs for nearly a decade. He only uses cannabis to keep it in remission. Many of the Crohn's drugs are horrific!
  • myofibril
    Options
    But it's not objective at all and does not support making informed choices!! It is shaming people who have non-GI issues that have cleared up by going gluten free. Yes, it suggests that one might have an intolerance, but in a very dismissive tone and then goes on to state that such people STILL do not have to avoid gluten and are just jumping on the band wagon.

I didn't take that from the article myself. I thought it provided a good overview of the subject which was well supported scientifically and provided the probabilities of what the causes of the symptoms may be. Clearly we cannot speak definitively but rather look at what the most likely cause may be, which usually but not always, isn't gluten.

I am truly glad that you have managed to alleviate your symptoms and you have found what works for you.

However, that does not mean to say what is true for you is necessarily true for the general population.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Awesome... Gluten Free.. more marketing Hype if you ask me.. Create a disorder then sell you the cure / prevention. Eat whole grains and minimally processed food & a balanced diet, you will be fine. Just like grandma used to make... jmop. . . :wink:

Um ... marketing companies did not create celiac disease or gluten intollerance. They may hype it to make more people imagine they have it, but those are real conditions.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I don't think I've ever read that anywhere except on MFP. I've seen it a lot on here.