Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Question for people. I have a 10k race on sunday and I was supposed to do interval training or hills Wednesday. Should I skip that and only do easy runs this week or it is ok if I do it?

Depends on what you want out of the 10K. If all you care about is finishing, then do whatever workouts you would be doing anyway. If you want to try for a PR, you might want to tone down the Wednesday workout. Toning down might mean doing easier intervals or hills. Just running easy would be the extreme end if you feel the rest/recovery is really vital before the 10K.

For reference, I belong to a running club that has speed workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Thursday before a race that many members will run, Coach gives us really light speed work. The Thursday before I have a race, Coach has me tone down the marathon plan speed work.

Example 1: The Thursday before Winter Warrior Half, my plan assignment was 1 x 800 at T; 2 x 1600 at T; 1 x 800 at T; and 2 laps striding the straights. This was on a 200m indoor track. Because I had a half two days later, Coach had me slow the 1600s down to half marathon pace. T pace is lactic threshold, about the fastest you can sustain for one hour in race conditions. N.B. - because I was in early stage Boston training at the time, Winter Warrior Half was not an A race on my schedule. Essentially, it was a long speed run in the context of marathon training. Coach probably would have had me back off much more if Winter Warrior had been a target race.

Example 2: Before a major 5K on Sunday, Coach might just have the club run a warmup, one set of 15 second cutbacks, and a cool down on Thursday. The 15 second cutbacks are, run for 90 seconds at R (~1 mile race pace), then 90 seconds easy; 75 seconds at R, 75 seconds easy; and so on down to 15 seconds. People who aren't running the race might be told to do 4 x 800 at T, then 2 sets of 15 second cutbacks.

In your case, with the hill/speed work backed up to Wednesday, the need to tone down the workout is less pronounced. You just have to make a judgment call based on how you feel and how you know your body will react.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Congrats on your AG win. Nice curved glass award.
    Nice one on your 10K @AdrianChr92
    Nice running @kristinegift on yesterday.
    Way to go skip. And glad your ITB is not hurting @skippygirlsmom
    Nice century ride @Ohhim
    Prayers out to you and your son @HonuNui
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    5 hilly miles at easy-ish effort to start this week off right! Easy flat run tomorrow to prep for the start of adding mid-week long runs on Wednesday. Only 8 miles on the mid-week long run these first few weeks, which is my minimum long run (finish right around 90 minutes typically). The weekend long runs are bumping up to 14 milers, with a new weekly mileage target of 42 miles per week over the next 3 weeks. The last two 14 mile long runs this cycle are actually scheduled HM's so I will have to keep running past the finish for a bit, I guess.

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 5 miles
    3/16 - 5 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - Rest
    3/19 - 12 miles
    3/20 - 5 miles
    3/21 - 4 miles
    3/22 - 4 miles
    3/23 - 4 miles
    3/24 - 4 miles
    3/25 - Rest
    3/26 - 8 miles
    3/27 - 4 miles
    3/28 - 5 miles

139/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 thanks for advice. I think I will do it on flat and just run the intervals at tempo pace and add 3-4 strides at the end. I'm aiming for a PB but I'm sure I'll make it anyway since I never raced a 10 k :))
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I wear tight shorts most of the time because they don't ride, but lately I can't find any with enough/big enough pockets. I ordered a pair of Saucony scoot tight shorts and the pocket barely could hold one gel! Some of the loose-leg Oiselle shorts (and other brands, obviously) have larger pockets and side pockets you can't get with compression shorts. I hate to leave compression shorts behind because they make my butt look great ;) but I need more pockets, darn it! I wear tight shorts to avoid chafe, but I actually didn't chafe with the Distance shorts, which was a happy surprise -- though I did lube up quite a bit with Vaseline beforehand!

@kristinegift I totally hear you about the pockets! Y U No give me decent shorts pockets, sport companies?

I totally adore my Nike Running Dri-Fit capris which have a phone pocket at the left hip and a key/cash divided zipped pocket on right. I've got 2 pairs.

But can I find shorts with these features? Hell to the no.

@Orphia Capris have the best pockets! But I have a hard time finding leggings with big enough pockets for winter long runs just as I'm hard pressed to find tight-shorts that have big enough pockets. So frustrating! Those Nike capris sound amazing though. Nice big, convenient pockets! Whenever a phone can fit, I'm super impressed, since phones have gotten so darn big!
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I wear tight shorts most of the time because they don't ride, but lately I can't find any with enough/big enough pockets. I ordered a pair of Saucony scoot tight shorts and the pocket barely could hold one gel! Some of the loose-leg Oiselle shorts (and other brands, obviously) have larger pockets and side pockets you can't get with compression shorts. I hate to leave compression shorts behind because they make my butt look great ;) but I need more pockets, darn it! I wear tight shorts to avoid chafe, but I actually didn't chafe with the Distance shorts, which was a happy surprise -- though I did lube up quite a bit with Vaseline beforehand!

@kristinegift I totally hear you about the pockets! Y U No give me decent shorts pockets, sport companies?

I totally adore my Nike Running Dri-Fit capris which have a phone pocket at the left hip and a key/cash divided zipped pocket on right. I've got 2 pairs.

in re: pockets - I literally got back in my car before my long run yesterday so I could more carefully inspect the darn capri tights I was wearing - what do you mean there are no pockets? There must be a pocket somewhere <practically undressing in search of a pocket>. Nope. Carried my key fob for ten miles.

@4leighbee Haha, how inconvenient! At least give us ONE fob-sized pocket! That's always the first thing I look for when I buy bottoms for running -- where/how many pockets. A zero-pocket pair usually elicits an eye roll from me. In an age when everyone has phones and fobs and ID cards and keys to carry, how do these companies get away with zero pockets?!

This whole discussion makes me happy I have my Flipbelt!! I was never a consistent runner in the past and I got my Flipbelt because most of my clothes are yoga clothes so they typically don't have pockets. I never thought about how hard it would be to run if I didn't have my belt, it sounds like a real headache!

Men's shorts aren't quite as bad as women's, but the pockets provided are typically inadequate. I bought some Saucony throttle shorts because they had 2 zippered pockets. Got running, and found a problem. The opening is vertical, so if I unzip the pocket while running, everything comes out. So I can keep whatever fits in a pocket, as long as I don't want access to it while running; or I can keep one (1) gel, because if I keep 2 they both come out when I get the first one! Later I found a pair of Nike shorts that had a proper horizontal opening on the zippered pocket, but only one pocket. And of course the CWX compression shorts only have a little internal pocket that's good for about one key. And my tights have no pockets at all.

I'm a pack horse, so I ended up getting a hydration belt with a large pouch. At first I kept my wallet in the pouch and gels in the small pocket on the outside. Then as my runs got longer, I needed more gels than I could carry that way. Now, I live with putting my driver's license, health insurance card, and one credit card in the small pocket and putting gels (and perhaps a pack of Sport Beans) in the large pouch. My iPhone 5 goes in a leather holster that clips onto the belt; in cold weather, I'll pack the phone in a ziplock bag and put it into a SPI belt that goes under the outer layers to keep the phone warm.

I've never needed the ID, insurance card, or credit card while running, though I have used the credit card after running to buy things. However, I like the ability to call a cab and pay for the cab if Something Bad happens several miles from where I started. And if that Something Bad requires a trip to the emergency room, the insurance card would be necessary. May I always be over-prepared and never need those precautions!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71 thanks for advice. I think I will do it on flat and just run the intervals at tempo pace and add 3-4 strides at the end. I'm aiming for a PB but I'm sure I'll make it anyway since I never raced a 10 k :))

I think it was @MobyCarp that gave the advice. But good luck!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ohhim great ride - I can't even image. My cousin is a big cyclist and he does a lot of long rides like that.
    @shanaber how is the day back going?
    @EvgeniZyntx sounds like a very cool race
    @kristinegift leaving without your Garmin is as bad as forgetting your running shoes! Great job in the pouring rain though.

Decided not to run today to make sure I give the ITB rest time. Hopefully I can get a longer run in tomorrow. I've regrouped my thoughts for my HM on the 10th. I just need to finish and not worry about my time. I hate that, but I'm certainly not ready for anything else. That's okay I'm good with that.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Rain all day today with lighting, so might be a treadmill gym run in my future tonight.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Will catch up on 8 pages (!) later today.

3/3 - 3.25 miles on indoor track
    3/5 - 4 windy miles.
    3/6 - 6.5 flat, windy, hot (72°) miles...sweaty.
    3/9 - 3.46 miles
    3/10 - 4.45 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/11 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/12 - 7.5 hilly miles
    3/13 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/14 - Rest day...seriously sore from squats and dead lifts on Sunday
    3/15 - 4 miles on treadmill + weights (early a.m. thunderstorm kept me inside)
    3/16 - 4.02 windy miles...took a good 2 miles to get into a groove.
    3/17 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/18 - 4.13 miles. Sooo excited that I am on track for my goal this month!
    3/19 - Unplanned rest day...life got in the way.
    3/20 - 8 wind, flat miles
    3/21 - Planned rest day
    3/22 - Beautiful 4.7 miles. It was about 50° F with a very light breeze at 5:00 a.m.!
    3/23 - Wet 4.3 miles...almost biffed it when I slipped on a downhill. Thankfully saved myself without tweaking anything...thank God for small favors!
    3/24 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class)...lots of "speedwork" today. Sore calves.
    3/25 - 4 miles. Nice afternoon run.
    3/26 - Rest day
    3/27 - 9.01 miles...took a while to get warmed up and then was extremely sore in the hamstrings and calves.

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    Options
    @MobyCarp oh yea wrong person. Thx for the tips
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@Orphia Capris have the best pockets! But I have a hard time finding leggings with big enough pockets for winter long runs just as I'm hard pressed to find tight-shorts that have big enough pockets. So frustrating! Those Nike capris sound amazing though. Nice big, convenient pockets! Whenever a phone can fit, I'm super impressed, since phones have gotten so darn big!

in re: pockets - I literally got back in my car before my long run yesterday so I could more carefully inspect the darn capri tights I was wearing - what do you mean there are no pockets? There must be a pocket somewhere <practically undressing in search of a pocket>. Nope. Carried my key fob for ten miles.

@4leighbee Haha, how inconvenient! At least give us ONE fob-sized pocket! That's always the first thing I look for when I buy bottoms for running -- where/how many pockets. A zero-pocket pair usually elicits an eye roll from me. In an age when everyone has phones and fobs and ID cards and keys to carry, how do these companies get away with zero pockets?!

This whole discussion makes me happy I have my Flipbelt!! I was never a consistent runner in the past and I got my Flipbelt because most of my clothes are yoga clothes so they typically don't have pockets. I never thought about how hard it would be to run if I didn't have my belt, it sounds like a real headache!

Men's shorts aren't quite as bad as women's, but the pockets provided are typically inadequate. I bought some Saucony throttle shorts because they had 2 zippered pockets. Got running, and found a problem. The opening is vertical, so if I unzip the pocket while running, everything comes out. So I can keep whatever fits in a pocket, as long as I don't want access to it while running; or I can keep one (1) gel, because if I keep 2 they both come out when I get the first one! Later I found a pair of Nike shorts that had a proper horizontal opening on the zippered pocket, but only one pocket. And of course the CWX compression shorts only have a little internal pocket that's good for about one key. And my tights have no pockets at all.

I'm a pack horse, so I ended up getting a hydration belt with a large pouch. At first I kept my wallet in the pouch and gels in the small pocket on the outside. Then as my runs got longer, I needed more gels than I could carry that way. Now, I live with putting my driver's license, health insurance card, and one credit card in the small pocket and putting gels (and perhaps a pack of Sport Beans) in the large pouch. My iPhone 5 goes in a leather holster that clips onto the belt; in cold weather, I'll pack the phone in a ziplock bag and put it into a SPI belt that goes under the outer layers to keep the phone warm.

I've never needed the ID, insurance card, or credit card while running, though I have used the credit card after running to buy things. However, I like the ability to call a cab and pay for the cab if Something Bad happens several miles from where I started. And if that Something Bad requires a trip to the emergency room, the insurance card would be necessary. May I always be over-prepared and never need those precautions!

I do the Road ID. It has emergency contacts and keeps online access for EMT's - current scripts, medical info, insurance info, and such. I never carry money or card, but I run the park and am never too far from my vehicle.

• AdrianChr92
    Options
    My shorts only have a small pocket on the inside that I can fit my keys and maybe a gel. That's it. No phone or anything like it. I'm considering a belt
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    To get in on the shorts thing....I'm considering getting these to try out: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-pants-shorts-shorts/mens-better-than-naked-shorts-5-ca1z?variationId=JK3
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    6.2 miles this morning. Tackled the big hill again and took 28 sec off my best time last Friday (just that hill segment of .2 mile not whole run).

New pain in my left leg. It's not directly on the side of my thigh nor is it directly in back. So like between. Lol Lots of foam rolling and stick massaging. Maybe it'll go away and I won't have to pinpoint exactly what it is.

I use a Flip FlipBelt and don't worry about pockets. Carry my phone, tissues, sometimes ID (if I'm trail running vs my neighborhood) and sometimes my inhaler for asthma.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Would it be a bad thing to admit that I still go on training runs in basketball shorts? Most of the time I only carry my car key and maybe a 32 oz of Gatorade (on long runs only).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I do the Road ID. It has emergency contacts and keeps online access for EMT's - current scripts, medical info, insurance info, and such. I never carry money or card, but I run the park and am never too far from my vehicle.

Road id, cards, waterproof belt with phone and keys across shoulder.
    Longer stuff, I use running vest.

Shorts usually have a small back pocket for gels or my VIRB fits there.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

@MobyCarp Isn't it amazing how much stuff we cart around with us on runs? On group runs, I'll have a baggie in a zip pocket with my apartment key, prox card/uni ID, and cash for coffee. I've never thought to take my insurance card, but my dad is listed on my Road ID as my emergency contact, and I'm still on his insurance, phew!

I wish I could stand wearing a spibelt or flip belt, but I had one once and it made me feel, like... nauseous, but like, below the stomach. Is there a word for that? Butt-sick? Idk. Anyway, I typically avoid running in anything to tight around the waist to avoid any emergency bathroom stops!

Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Would it be a bad thing to admit that I still go on training runs in basketball shorts? Most of the time I only carry my car key and maybe a 32 oz of Gatorade (on long runs only).

@Stoshew71 Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! But what about on really long runs? Do you take gels?
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I use Road ID too. Have one attached to my shoe and a bracelet. I also like their app, it notifies my husband and mom when I go for a run and it will notify them if I stop moving for 5 min. They can also track my run via a link in the initial message. My husband uses it more to text me when I'm done with my run and tell me I could have gone further (just teasing of course! He doesn't understand how I run at all much less the distance).