March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    rohanivan wrote: »
    Hi People,

I got a doubt. today the organizers of the next 5K which I registered sent an email telling, do 1 speed run, 1 Tempo run and one long run so that you don't end up injured during the race.
    I generally do is just run at normal pace, walk when tired and regain running and put maximum towards end the running. In weekends I just try to put some extra distance. Am I doing something wrong?

What are this Tempo runs and Speed runs? More I am learning about running it's getting more complicated. :(

I have already put this in our group page under references.

Speedwork for Beginner's & Distance Runners can be found here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32577586/#Comment_32577586

And tempo runs are explained a little further down with the links, All about Lactate and (Lactate) Threshold Training:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32927287/#Comment_32927287

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    With this month drawing to an end, with just one more scheduled run, and having realized that I set a goal that ended up being too low, I'm looking to set my goal for next month. Anyone have a suggestion on how to figure a good mileage goal? I'd almost rather fall short of an ambitious goal that have too easy a goal and meet it early on.
    Are you following a training plan, or any sort of loose guidelines on how you set up your runs from week to week?

Training plan, not yet. Runs have been 3,3,3 for Sun/Tue/Th and 5,6 or 7 on Sat, just taking it kind of easy. Over the last 2 weeks, I jumped up to 4 miles on my not-long-run days, because the 3 milers were getting almost too easy, and 4 feels right. With an 8k in mid July, and a half marathon in September, I won't be "starting" on training for at least another month, since the longest (beginner) HM plan I've seen was 16weeks and that would be beginning of June. I'm doing base building, but my base is already more miles than the first week or 2 of the plans.

Sorry for the wordy answer.
    I would plan your month based on that schedule. You're currently at 4,4,4 and 5-7 and have been doing that for two weeks it sounds like. If you are feeling good you could do that another week but at that point you might consider backing down one week to allow your body to "build up" from all of the training you put it through over 3 weeks. Maybe 3,3,3 and 5 perhaps that week. The week after that you could move up to more mileage again, say 5,5,5 and 6-8, doing that for another 2-3 weeks, followed by a "down week" again but at the 4,4,4 and 5-7 mileage, and could then keep progressively moving up like that.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    3.1 - sick
    3.4 - 7.2 km
    3.5 - 5.6 km
    3.6 - 10.1 km
    3.8 - 7.5 km
    3.9 - 5.3 km
    3.10 - 7.7 km
    3.13 - 12.2 km
    3.18 - 5.1 km
    3.20 - 10.1 km
    3.26 - 5.3 km
    3.27 - 13.8 km
    3.29 - 10.1 km - 10 K PR

Races / Training Runs:
    3.20 - Ghent Urban Trail 10 km

100.0 km so far - goal is 120 km
    I have 13 km scheduled over the next two days. So close.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I would plan your month based on that schedule. You're currently at 4,4,4 and 5-7 and have been doing that for two weeks it sounds like. If you are feeling good you could do that another week but at that point you might consider backing down one week to allow your body to "build up" from all of the training you put it through over 3 weeks. Maybe 3,3,3 and 5 perhaps that week. The week after that you could move up to more mileage again, say 5,5,5 and 6-8, doing that for another 2-3 weeks, followed by a "down week" again but at the 4,4,4 and 5-7 mileage, and could then keep progressively moving up like that.
    Thanks for the advice. I keep forgetting to do "down weeks" and I think that's part of my problem...I'm always wanting to add more mileage, and not remembering to actually take it easy after every few weeks.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    With this month drawing to an end, with just one more scheduled run, and having realized that I set a goal that ended up being too low, I'm looking to set my goal for next month. Anyone have a suggestion on how to figure a good mileage goal? I'd almost rather fall short of an ambitious goal that have too easy a goal and meet it early on.
    Are you following a training plan, or any sort of loose guidelines on how you set up your runs from week to week?

Training plan, not yet. Runs have been 3,3,3 for Sun/Tue/Th and 5,6 or 7 on Sat, just taking it kind of easy. Over the last 2 weeks, I jumped up to 4 miles on my not-long-run days, because the 3 milers were getting almost too easy, and 4 feels right. With an 8k in mid July, and a half marathon in September, I won't be "starting" on training for at least another month, since the longest (beginner) HM plan I've seen was 16weeks and that would be beginning of June. I'm doing base building, but my base is already more miles than the first week or 2 of the plans.

Oh, one more thing that I forgot...

Your non-long runs should not exceed much more than about an hour max. So if you wind up building to a point where you are running 5 or 6 miles on those days but it is taking 70+ minutes to do so you need to rethink your strategy. I would suggest at that point adding in an extra non-long run day and bumping those long run mileage days down to compensate for the added stress of adding in that extra day. The total mileage may stay the same.

So let's say 5 miles takes you one hour (no clue if that is the case) and you are at a point where you are considering going to 6 miles on your non-long run days. Instead of going to 6 miles 3x/week, do 4.5 miles 4x/week which is still the same 18 miles you would get with three 6 milers, but each run would be under that hour or so limit. The reasoning for that is for the effects of those easy non-long training runs give their benefit when under an hour basically. Long runs should be in the 90+ minute range. @Stoshew71 of @MobyCarp may have some sage advice in that regard.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    01/03 3.5miles
    02/03 3.5miles
    04/03 3.5miles
    05/03 3 miles
    07/03 3 miles
    09/03 4.5miles
    11/03 5 miles
    12/03 3.75miles
    14/03 3.5 miles
    15/03 3 miles
    16/03 3.5miles
    19/03 5 miles
    21/03 3.5miles
    22/03 3.5miles
    23/03 4.3 miles
    26/03 5 miles
    29/03 6 miles - a first for me and not planned. At 4 miles I thought give it a try Marissa and it went fine. It did take 1hr 13min with a 250ft climb.

Congratulations on the new distance!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Your non-long runs should not exceed much more than about an hour max. So if you wind up building to a point where you are running 5 or 6 miles on those days but it is taking 70+ minutes to do so you need to rethink your strategy. I would suggest at that point adding in an extra non-long run day and bumping those long run mileage days down to compensate for the added stress of adding in that extra day. The total mileage may stay the same.

So let's say 5 miles takes you one hour (no clue if that is the case) and you are at a point where you are considering going to 6 miles on your non-long run days. Instead of going to 6 miles 3x/week, do 4.5 miles 4x/week which is still the same 18 miles you would get with three 6 milers, but each run would be under that hour or so limit. The reasoning for that is for the effects of those easy non-long training runs give their benefit when under an hour basically. Long runs should be in the 90+ minute range. @Stoshew71 of @MobyCarp may have some sage advice in that regard.

Thanks for that advice! Running fairly easys, 4 miles puts me at 43 minutes, so 5 is about my max for under an hour. I'm working up my long runs now, since my last 7 mile run only took 1:14 and when I slowed down for running with my mom, my 5 mile long run only took 1:01:01 and I ended up running another 4 later that day. I think my long runs are, at the moment, where I need to work, so I can get the distance/time right. Thanks again.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    The most interesting wildlife I encountered on a run was a porcupine who decided to meander across the trail in front of me. I knew porcupine were in the area, as I could smell them while out running, sometimes, but that was the first and only time I saw one.
    I guess I am loving the wildlife discussion today!:lol:

That reminded me of a very recent encounter on the same paved park trails I ran this morning. I don't recall if I mentioned it here or not, but I was running back from the same 5 mile route I took this morning along the stream in the wooded part of the park and a beaver popped out from the brush onto the trail about 100 feet ahead of me. I was very surprised to see a beaver there as this park is surrounded by residential on all sides. Just a couple miles away are prime beaver areas though, so this one meandered in close to civilization I guess.

Anyway, as I kept running (towards it) it got scared and started running away from me right down the trail the same way I was going. It would stop every 12-15 feet or so to look back and see if I was still coming right at him, and then he kept going right down the trail. I was laughing about it because the brush and stream were right there next to him on the side to dart into. But no, we chased each other until the trail veered away from the stream at which point he finally decided to head back to the stream.

I got to tell my wife I was chasing beaver. She was pleased.

Aw she knew you were up to no good all along :blush:
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - Ha! Chasing beaver. And your wife was pleased...sounds like you have an interesting relationship. LOL

Jumping in on the wildlife discussion since I have no running to add (not starting up again until tomorrow evening).

1) Spiders. I hate spiderwebs, just because they're annoying to run into and impossible to remove once you have. Spiders themselves don't bother me much in terms of running. We have black widows, brown recluses, and tarantulas around here. Plus scorpions, if you want to count all arachnids. The tarantulas are generally harmless, as they're not particularly aggressive. Brown recluses only bother me when they're in the house. I actually had one in my bed a couple days ago (not the first time), and have a nice bite on my back. Lucky for me, I don't get the whole necrosis reaction, just a long spreading allergic reaction/welt that will last about two months. Sigh...benedryl is my friend.

2) Running concerns include: stray dogs--plentiful on my paved routes; black bears and mountain lions--I know they're around, but have never actually encountered one; armadillos; venomous snakes--water moccasins, copperheads, pygmy rattlesnakes. I plan to pick back up my weekend trail running soon and will have to be much more vigilant.

By the by, I do my trail runs out at the ranch where I board my horses, as they have about 2000 acres of trails. The horse trails are nice because you never have to worry about running into anyone--except the occasional horseback rider/trail group (careful not to spook the horses...)--and the paths are well-worn. Running them also gives a much different perspective than riding them. Definitely increased my respect for what my horse is capable of (especially carrying my big ole butt around on her back!).
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The most interesting wildlife I encountered on a run was a porcupine who decided to meander across the trail in front of me. I knew porcupine were in the area, as I could smell them while out running, sometimes, but that was the first and only time I saw one.
    I guess I am loving the wildlife discussion today!:lol:

That reminded me of a very recent encounter on the same paved park trails I ran this morning. I don't recall if I mentioned it here or not, but I was running back from the same 5 mile route I took this morning along the stream in the wooded part of the park and a beaver popped out from the brush onto the trail about 100 feet ahead of me. I was very surprised to see a beaver there as this park is surrounded by residential on all sides. Just a couple miles away are prime beaver areas though, so this one meandered in close to civilization I guess.

Anyway, as I kept running (towards it) it got scared and started running away from me right down the trail the same way I was going. It would stop every 12-15 feet or so to look back and see if I was still coming right at him, and then he kept going right down the trail. I was laughing about it because the brush and stream were right there next to him on the side to dart into. But no, we chased each other until the trail veered away from the stream at which point he finally decided to head back to the stream.

I got to tell my wife I was chasing beaver. She was pleased.

OMG That is absolutely hilarious! Man, I need to find some better trails to run on. I feel like I'm lacking in wildlife encounters, these days. There's not much other than few birds and a squirrel or two here or there on my usual loop that goes through the local cemetery. I do, however, look for zombies during every run. The cemetery has different sections with different names (including Faithful Friends pet section). One of these parts of the cemetery is called Resurrection Garden. It is at the very back of the cemetery. The way the named bench is placed, it makes it look like that section is behind a large gate (that leads into the woods) and very tall fence. Zombies are wildlife, right? :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Options

I started to break my longer midweek runs into doubles. I used to do 10 miles for 3 mornings during the week on top of 2 recovery runs on the off days and the actual long run on Saturdays. That was wearing me out. So I capped those 10 milers to 8 miles and then added 4 more miles in the afternoon during lunch time. I realize that may sound really scary where most of you beginners are, but the idea is the same as @WhatMeRunning is suggesting. Breaking up the longer midweek runs into more sessions but smaller per session. Still, it may not be a bad idea to have 1 midweek kinda long run. Whatever fits into your schedule but won't wear you out.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Stoshew71, that makes a lot of sense for me. I'm no marathoner, but I'm hoping to be a half marathoner. My morning runs feel really good and I can fit maybe another mile in before it gets to the point where I have to get up way too early. At that point, I'm thinking about adding another short, say 2-3 miler in the afternoon on 1-2 of those days, to get my mileage up. Does that sound right/work?

Oh, yeah, Summers will be easier, I can just load my little guy in the jogger for 2-3 mile afternoon runs all I want, and I usually walk another 2-3 every day in summer.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 70 Miles for March

3/1 – 3.21 Mi
    3/3 – 5.91 Mi
    3/6 – 3.17 Mi
    3/7 – 3.28 Mi
    3/9 – 3.97 Mi
    3/12 – 8.28 Mi
    3/19 – 6.14 Mi
    3/21 – 4.18 Mi
    3/23 – 3.21 Mi
    3/25 – 4.46 Mi
    3/28 – 5.90 Mi
    3/29 – 4.58 Mi

Progress toward Goal 56.29 / 70
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning The info for @MNLittleFinn was also helpful to me. Thank you :)

My January goal was 33 miles and I ran 42.18. February goal was 45 miles and I ran 47.78. March goal was 52 miles and I'm at 71.7. Having a whole week off work really helped me get more miles so I think I'm just going to set my April goal at 70 and hope I can do it again without the time off work.

I was planning to run 3 miles today to end March but I had that leg pain yesterday and I'm thinking it could be stemming from my low back. I have issues with sciatica and usually it's my right side affected but it could just be switching. So I'm just gonna take it easy 3 days and try to pick back up Friday to start April. This can be a cut back week anyway. I count my weekly mileage from Friday-Thursday because I started back running Friday Jan 1. The past few weeks have been 13.6 miles, 18.2 miles, 20.6 miles, and this week will be back to 17.3. Probably for the best and I can start April strong.

I have never even run 50 miles in a month before so this is all new territory having surpassed my goal of 52 and even passed 70 miles!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Oh, here's my final March report:

3/1/16 - 2 miles
    3/4/16 - 6 miles
    3/5/16 - 4.5 miles
    3/6/16 - 3.1 miles
    3/11/16 - 6.2 miles
    3/12/16 - 5 miles
    3/14/16 - 3 miles
    3/15/16 - 4 miles
    3/18/16 - 6.5 miles
    3/19/16 - 4 miles
    3/20/16 - 5 miles
    3/21/16 - 3 miles
    3/23/16 - 2 miles
    3/25/16 - 4 miles
    3/26/16 - 7 miles
    3/28/16 - 6.2 miles

Total 71.7 miles (Above numbers are rounded. 71.7 is the exact total.)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @greenolivetree you're in a similar position as me, my March goal was 56, and I'm at 72.6. I have this week and next week, then a cut back week to recover a bit, before going at it agin. This month was kind of ridiculous for me as I never expected to run that much...or, actually, feel the need to run that much.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    With all this talk about vampires...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71, that makes a lot of sense for me. I'm no marathoner, but I'm hoping to be a half marathoner. My morning runs feel really good and I can fit maybe another mile in before it gets to the point where I have to get up way too early. At that point, I'm thinking about adding another short, say 2-3 miler in the afternoon on 1-2 of those days, to get my mileage up. Does that sound right/work?

Oh, yeah, Summers will be easier, I can just load my little guy in the jogger for 2-3 mile afternoon runs all I want, and I usually walk another 2-3 every day in summer.

I would say that sounds like a smart idea.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Thnks @Stoshew71 Now I think I have an idea of what to do until I start dedicated HM training.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Stan might have done some research on time limits for non-long runs, I haven't. My observation is that as the long runs and total weekly distance get longer, the non-long runs are forced to get longer as well. Upon reflection, I think the limit of the long run to no more than (25%, 30%, 33%, 35% depending on who you believe) of the weekly mileage isn't designed so much to limit the long run distance as to force the total weekly mileage base up, which also forces up the length of the non-long runs.

In marathon training, I have a lot of non-long runs that are an hour or more. Some weeks call for this by definition. There was a week with a 15 mile workout and a 13 mile workout, neither of which I can do in anything close to an hour. Sometimes it's a time assignment, such as run easy for 90 or 100 minutes on a day that isn't the long run. And sometimes I'm forced into it by the mileage target. Stan might meet the mileage target with a double, but it works better for me to have an easy run of 8 or 9 miles than two runs of 4 and 5 miles. That's just how my schedule works out. I'm fast for an old fart, but I won't run 8 miles in an hour at an easy pace. (A while back, my coach made an offhand comment about people not understanding how 8 miles can be an easy run. Ironically enough, I'd done 8 easy miles three days earlier. Yes, it took me over an hour; but it was easy.)

I suspect the major point of limiting a non-long run to under an hour is that an hour is the limit of being able to run at lactate threshold. Most new runners gravitate to lactate threshold unconsciously, and need to learn to run slower when they need to run for more than an hour. Once you learn to run at a true easy pace, it's possible to have easy runs longer than an hour. Whether that's advisable if you're training for shorter distances than a marathon, I don't know. It certainly isn't *necessary* for most people aiming at a 10K to have long runs of more than an hour.

Disclaimer: When we start talking about people who run 11 or 12 minutes to the mile, the time on the road is enough greater than what I have for the same distance that I'm not sure how much of my experience is relevant.