March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was able to do my first 30 min non stop run this morning. I am slow but that's ok with me. I started running on my 62nd birthday month in January having been overweight and out of shape almost my whole adult life...proving you are never to old to try! Now I am at my goal weight with 71 lbs gone. This is so I can run/walk the 5k in the Ottawa Race weekend at the end of May. I need 2 days between runs but I swim and walk and do Tai Chi and Aqua strength training in between. I have to keep active to help maintain good blood sugar control with my Type 2 diabetes and I think I am doing it. I challenge myself to run and I don't mind that I run at 4.9 or 5.0 lol. To me it's a miracle I can even run!!
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Here's to March: In like a ab1e259945fec1a0b7e09de4567fe38c-d6qgssu.gif and out like a ....bigger Lion
    Goal Achieved WHOO HA
    :p

exercise.png
    • 03 - 7.5mi Commute run to work
    • 07 - 7.5mi Commute
    • 11 - 6.4mi Fisherman's Wharf Run - Embarccadero: Tourist dodge 'em
    • 12 - 5.2mi More Humid than Human
    • 16 - 5.2mi
    • 17 - 1.3mi post lift cardio
    • 18 - 1.2mi post lift cardio
    • 19 - 6.8mi
    • 21 - 2.3mi post lift cardio
    • 22 - 2.2mi post lift cardio
    • 23 - 6.3mi Full Moon run
    • 25 - 2.2mi post lift cardio
    • 27 - 5.2mi
    • 28 - 2.2mi nooner
    • 30 - 2.2mi post lift cardio

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif

Bring on April

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    01/03 3.5miles
    02/03 3.5miles
    04/03 3.5miles
    05/03 3 miles
    07/03 3 miles
    09/03 4.5miles
    11/03 5 miles
    12/03 3.75miles
    14/03 3.5 miles
    15/03 3 miles
    16/03 3.5miles
    19/03 5 miles
    21/03 3.5miles
    22/03 3.5miles
    23/03 4.3 miles
    26/03 5 miles
    29/03 6 miles
    30/03 3.5 miles

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    I was able to do my first 30 min non stop run this morning. I am slow but that's ok with me. I started running on my 62nd birthday month in January having been overweight and out of shape almost my whole adult life...proving you are never to old to try! Now I am at my goal weight with 71 lbs gone. This is so I can run/walk the 5k in the Ottawa Race weekend at the end of May. I need 2 days between runs but I swim and walk and do Tai Chi and Aqua strength training in between. I have to keep active to help maintain good blood sugar control with my Type 2 diabetes and I think I am doing it. I challenge myself to run and I don't mind that I run at 4.9 or 5.0 lol. To me it's a miracle I can even run!!
    Congrats! Honestly, for T2 running there is nothing wrong with all that hard effort at all as long as you are not reading low. :smile: Keep going!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Re the @Stoshew71 and @MNLittleFinn discussion: Remember also that just because you do a long run at your good LR pace (~12 min miles) doesn't mean you should immediately start running further. At the end of a long run you SHOULD feel strong, not like you want to die. But that doesn't mean the next week you need to add a mile to your LR. It may be useful to temper your excitement and keep your mileage static for 2-3 weeks at a time and then add some midweek and weekend miles so your body has more time to adapt and master what you're setting out to do before you add on. It seems like you have bigger and better ideas for a schedule every day, but don't let your mind take on more than your legs can keep up with!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift I've been updating/moderating my training schedule. I have a long time to train, so slowing it down is more of a problem of ME needing to remember that I don't need the huge miles right now.

Current runs are and will be 4-4-4-6 this week and next week, the following week is a cut back week at 3-3-3-5. After that I'm still trying to figure it out, hence all of the questions, since I'm not sure where to go from there, wanting to buuld my long runs to the 90 minute range by summer. Hope that makes sense, foggy today, got decaf instead of real coffee this morning
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift I've been updating/moderating my training schedule. I have a long time to train, so slowing it down is more of a problem of ME needing to remember that I don't need the huge miles right now.

Current runs are and will be 4-4-4-6 this week and next week, the following week is a cut back week at 3-3-3-5. After that I'm still trying to figure it out, hence all of the questions, since I'm not sure where to go from there, wanting to buuld my long runs to the 90 minute range by summer. Hope that makes sense, foggy today, got decaf instead of real coffee this morning

I would recommend adding variety to your midweek runs. So this week maybe 4-4.5-4-6 and then 3-4-3-5 next week. Then you could maybe do 3-5-4-7. If you have different length runs midweek you can add or subtract a mile here and there for more flexible mileage. That's why I do a variety of miles midweek: 10 or 12 Wed morning, 5-6 that night, 7-8 on Thursday morning and anywhere from 7-10 on Saturdays. You can add and adjust without changing everything for the week and it keeps your body on its toes. If I ran 8 miles every time I went out, I'd get burned out!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So, I've got a question to everyone who's run both "real" and "virtual" races:
    how did your time in the virtual race compare to your race time at official event?

I've just received the package with the bib and goodies for my first virtual race (Zombies run! VR B) ).
    I'm hoping to run it tomorrow or Friday after work. I'm just wondering if I should try to go at the pace that would be my goal for a regular 5k race. Or will the lack of event-day adrenaline mean I'll end up wiped out if I head out too fast?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I would recommend adding variety to your midweek runs. So this week maybe 4-4.5-4-6 and then 3-4-3-5 next week. Then you could maybe do 3-5-4-7. If you have different length runs midweek you can add or subtract a mile here and there for more flexible mileage. That's why I do a variety of miles midweek: 10 or 12 Wed morning, 5-6 that night, 7-8 on Thursday morning and anywhere from 7-10 on Saturdays. You can add and adjust without changing everything for the week and it keeps your body on its toes. If I ran 8 miles every time I went out, I'd get burned out!

Good point. I've been pretty static in my weekday runs in length and course, but that's more a function of it being dark and only having a few options for courses runs in the morning. I can't go any real distance without running the same circle a few times, or going out on the highway (which isn't bad, full paved shoulders on both sides), which made things a bit more boring.....I just love the running though, so scenery isn't a huge issue
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - Do your cookies always match your shoes?

Not on the way out...unless it's muddy.

I have 3 pair hidden, all the same color. So if DH notices chances are he'll think they are the same shoe. Which I have a pair of Newton boco trail in 8.5 I can not do if anyone is interested. You can have'em for shipping.

Not that I'm hiding spending money on shoes. He'll just be on to me if he realizes I have squirrelled enough money for random shoe therapy to start asking questions. The innov8 were a find.

Love this, but I would eat my homemade cookies before store bought :)

Which Innov8s are they and where did you find them? I have been looking for a pair in my size on sale but so fare no luck. Almost bought Skora Cores and/or Forms on Amazon but again they didn't have my size!! It is keeping me from my retail therapy!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Oh @_nikkiwolf_ - I have run my virtuals as a regular training run depending on the distance and what my day calls for.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - Do your cookies always match your shoes?

Not on the way out...unless it's muddy.

I have 3 pair hidden, all the same color. So if DH notices chances are he'll think they are the same shoe. Which I have a pair of Newton boco trail in 8.5 I can not do if anyone is interested. You can have'em for shipping.

Not that I'm hiding spending money on shoes. He'll just be on to me if he realizes I have squirrelled enough money for random shoe therapy to start asking questions. The innov8 were a find.

Love this, but I would eat my homemade cookies before store bought :)

Which Innov8s are they and where did you find them? I have been looking for a pair in my size on sale but so fare no luck. Almost bought Skora Cores and/or Forms on Amazon but again they didn't have my size!! It is keeping me from my retail therapy!

Left Lane Sports had a flash sale. I get emails through Active (race/event finder). They are the f-lite 215. They also had the 218, but I'm new to the line and just picked one. They were 54$ plus ~6 on shipping.

I like them so far. I'm thinking these may be the shoe. I like that they seem similar to the Merrell All out flash, but with a stiffer sole.
    I wore the Merrell All out Charge yesterday. Not bad. But I noticed when I kicked them off in the parking lot, I wanted to run or walk around barefoot. My feet felt a bit forced I guess.

I'm just lost without a go to shoe at the moment.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

For where you are right now, I wouldn't fixate on the 90 minutes. Yes, all the benefits @Stoshew71 writes about are there; but a lot of the scientific research is a process of putting an explanation on why the elites are successful with what they do. From a standpoint closer to a beginner, it might be more helpful to think of long runs as expanding your range. Once in a while, you'll run so far that your legs feel it, even if your cardio is fine. That happened to me when I went from 13 to 15.5 miles (a routing mistake) and again the first time I ran 18 miles, and again the first time I ran 20 miles. (No, those were NOT consecutive weeks!) When you get that feeling, it's time to back off next week, then maybe go back up to the former record distance the week after that. The idea is that you're training your body for endurance, so you can do X miles routinely. You'll get a lot of benefit from slowly building how far you can run, even before you get to the 90 minute mark.

Hint: The muscular/skeletal system develops to stand the distance more slowly than the cardio vascular system does. This is the major reason it's easy to run yourself into injury; you feel great in the moment, but your legs and feet are taking a pounding. Training the legs and feet to endure the pounding is a long, gradual process.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp I think I'm going to keep my current schedule of 4-4-4-6.21(10K) for now, do a cut back week in 2 weeks (3-3-3-5) to get some rest and evaluate after that. I kind of want to add some mileage after the cutback week, just a matter of figuring out how much (way too many theories on that).

I think the hard part for me is that I went from barely being able to run 3 miles, to having 3 be a normal weekday run, to running 4 on the weekdays and being able to do a double this last Sat (5 easy, 4 speedwork) that putting things in perspective and slowing things down is harder than I thought it would be. This group has been invaluable in helping me get some perspective on this
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    So, I've got a question to everyone who's run both "real" and "virtual" races:
    how did your time in the virtual race compare to your race time at official event?

I've just received the package with the bib and goodies for my first virtual race (Zombies run! VR B) ).
    I'm hoping to run it tomorrow or Friday after work. I'm just wondering if I should try to go at the pace that would be my goal for a regular 5k race. Or will the lack of event-day adrenaline mean I'll end up wiped out if I head out too fast?

When I was a new runner just out of my first 5K training plan, I ran a virtual 5K. I mapped out a 5K route near home that was pretty flat. I ran as hard as I could, slowing down when I needed to in order to keep running the whole way. When I slowed down, I imagined other runners passing me. Got to the end, and I ran that in right around 22:00. I was thrilled with what was an excellent pace for me at the time.

Three weeks later, I ran my first official 5K. It was a flat, fast course. I made the common rookie mistakes of going out too fast and trying to keep up with people who were faster and better trained than I was. I ended up slowing down a lot for that last kilometer. In 3 weeks, I doubt I made any significant improvement in conditioning; but my time was right at 21:00. I had never run that fast before in my life. I didn't have a specific time goal. My pre-race goal was just to keep running for the entire course. I did that, but I don't think I could have kept running for 6K that day. As the saying goes, I left it all on the course.

The race environment does make a difference, even if you're trying to go as fast as you can in a non-race environment. I can't say how much of it is due to adrenaline, how much is due to the fact that other people are watching, how much is due to the desire to pass that runner who is only a little bit ahead of me, and how much is due to other factors; but there is a big difference.

Now that I have more experience with live races, I don't run virtual races. So I don't have a good comparison of how an experienced runner's virtual race time might compare to the official race time. But there was certainly a big difference for me as a newbie runner.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Virtual vs "real" I have done both and I find that I'm faster in a "real" race. I know I'm guaranteed a medal in a virtual race so the pressure is off LOL Most of the time in a "real" race I get to the first mile and when they call out a time I'm like holy Sh** who is that for because I never run that fast in my daily runs.
    @becky71_cm don't worry about all the science people here just enjoy the friendship and the run. Honestly I just scan over all the science, if I have a specific question I'll ask, but besides that it's too much for my little brain to think about
    @elise4270 free race woohoo! Love the new shoes and the cookies
    @janeknoll1 awesome!!!!

Poor Skip called today to come get her from school. Must be a bit of a stomach virus. Her only concern is the weekend, meet on Saturday, 5K run with friends on Sunday and meets on Monday and Tuesday. She's got herself a boyfriend it seems (first one) I told her boys have cooties and that is why she's sick now. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    How many of you on Strava have premium memberships? And Those who do, how do you like it? I've been using Garmin for all my run stuff, but with all the folks on Strava, I'm thinking of using that more, and trying to decide on free or premium.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Got in another 9 miles last night via a mix of treadmill & outdoor, and a hot (but manageable) 10 this afternoon. May do a second run tonight, to make tomorrow's goal a bit easier, but I'll play it by ear as I need to hit the pool hard in a bit.

3/1 - 3.5 miles
    3/2 - 10 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 3 miles
    3/6 - 11 miles
    3/7 - 18 miles
    3/8 - 7.5 miles
    3/10 - 13 miles
    3/12 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 6 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - 1 mile
    3/19 - 10 miles
    3/21 - 20 miles
    3/23 - 11 miles
    3/25 - 5.5 miles
    3/27 - 9 miles
    3/28 - 20 miles
    3/29 - 9 miles
    3/30 - 10 miles

Total: 182.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 17.5 miles

@mobycarp - Probably should have clarified - I'm still 38 & turning 39 in the fall, but the qualifying window for the 2018 Boston Marathon (when I'll be 40) opens up right before the Chicago marathon. There are a handful of races that take place the week of the window in September (Preque Isle), that let me try to qualify for both 2017 (for the 35-39 group) & 2018 (for the 40-44 group), but I suspect I won't have the 3:07'ish fitness by then and would rather try for the 3:12'ish BQ time on a flat course with better crowd support like Chicago (assuming the qualifying times and safety margins don't change for next year).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    3.1 - sick
    3.4 - 7.2 km
    3.5 - 5.6 km
    3.6 - 10.1 km
    3.8 - 7.5 km
    3.9 - 5.3 km
    3.10 - 7.7 km
    3.13 - 12.2 km
    3.18 - 5.1 km
    3.20 - 10.1 km
    3.26 - 5.3 km
    3.27 - 13.8 km
    3.29 - 10.1 km - 10 K PR
    3.30 - 5 km - dreadmill

Races / Training Runs:
    3.20 - Ghent Urban Trail 10 km

105.0 km so far - goal is 120 km
    I have 8 km scheduled for tomorrow. So close. Missed it by a day or two.

Goal for next month will be 140 km.

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Free is all you need honestly. Premium might worth it if you train with a heart rate monitor. If you want to get premium buy it to support the company cause in itself it doesn't offer that much.

I never knew there was a such a thing as a "virtual" race. My country is kinda scarce in real races though. For example the biggest 10k race only has like 1000 people. It's all good I guess, less crowded race