March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    First day of the cutback week with a 4 mile out and back to the store to get some beet roots. Going to start adding some beets into the diet now that I am no longer grossed out by them. I am still grossed out a bit by the canned ones however. I think I'll use them in my typical post run meal smoothie.

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 5 miles
    3/16 - 5 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - Rest
    3/19 - 12 miles
    3/20 - 5 miles
    3/21 - 4 miles

110/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to be off today! Not horribly sore, today. Last HM my hip flexors had me down a week. This time it's my calves/soleus. Hot bath, lots of food :smirk: and a RR planned for the day. I left 2 girls at home while I was gone. My daughter said " I'm so glad you bought food cuz Kat eats" (her cousin). A grocery store trip may be in order. Maybe. I really hate Walmart.

I'd really need to catch up on the posts! There are so many great efforts! I love having running company here. Under Armour (owner of MFP) should hold an annual convention and offer free travel for those in this thread. Cuz we are ALL awesome.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning ...first of all, I read "beer notes" instead of "Beet Roots"...dunno, just don't know where my brain was going with that! And second...what's the deal with beet roots that you'd run four miles round trip to get them? Sounds like I missed an important memo!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning ...first of all, I read "beer notes" instead of "Beet Roots"...dunno, just don't know where my brain was going with that! And second...what's the deal with beet roots that you'd run four miles round trip to get them? Sounds like I missed an important memo!!
    :lol::lol: Oh, nothing that big really. They definitely have loads of iron and help in transport of oxygen through the blood. There are some indications that taking beet juice before a 2 to 4 hour run has a measurable performane gain of 1% to 2% reduction in time due to the nitrates in the beets, but that's not necessarily why I wanted to get some. I'm more interested in having the added nutrients in them that are lacking in basically everything else...and maybe out of curiosity to see if it has an impact on endurance. I had a 4 mile run planned and I know from one of my routes that I hit the 2 mile mark right in front of a grocery store. So I did not have to add it to a shopping list for later, I just picked them up while on my run today!:smile:
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui I'll be thinking about your son and sending nice healthy vibes your way. Strength to you thru this.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni - I am impressed with that 10 miler. In the races I've been in, the people who run in costume have typically been middle to back of the pack runners; but a sub-8 mile pace should put you well ahead of middle of the pack, and not just in your age group! Speed plus a nice theme costume is something I don't see very often.

@HonuNui - Wow, tough race, with a tough Life Happening backdrop. Good for you, gutting it out and achieving your goals. Sometimes you just have to remember that Dead Last Finish beats Did Not Finish, which beats Did Not Start. And you didn't even finish dead last. Some people might say, why do the race when you have son who has just been diagnosed with cancer? I say, it's a form of taking care of yourself so you'll be able to do what you need to do for your son. Good job!

@Elise4270 - Great bling picture, and I love Where's the Finish as the expansion of WTF! I think I'd eat in a revolving tower too, if I ran in a city that has one.

@zmcgrandles - Congrats on completing your first race, and on meeting your goals! I remember my first race was a 5K, and my goal was to be able to run the entire way. I made it, but just barely. Same old classic rookie mistake, going out too fast and trying to keep up with people who were faster than me.
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Had a slow week, only 20k. A have a goal of 100k so 25k a week, right? But no, this week it did not happen.
    It's cold again, so back to running inside (boring...).
    To get things worse, Friday had a laser treatment done to my eyes, so Saturday was feeling, dizzy and sick. Couldn't run.
    Sunday to EATING events, a brunch with my friends and a birthday party in a sugar shack, oh gawd... Woke up early to run at the gym.
    Hope to catch up this week, but not sure they're announcing SNOW for Wednesday. Reeeally?
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ok, full race report time. My sister flew in to Tulsa at about 9am Saturday, and we drove directly from the airport to Ardmore (exactly 3 hours). After checking into the hotel, we decided to spend the afternoon at Turner Falls. Our training plan called for a 2 mile run, but we decided to just hike around instead. Climbed lots of stairs and steep paths to look at the castle and the big waterfall, then scaled some rocks to go into a cave. Unfortunately, when we got all the way up, there was a family with a bazillion young kids hanging out on the cliff, running around and yelling at each other. They wouldn't get out of the way, so we decided to turn back. Really shocked that none of them ended up taking a dive off that cliff--so not a place to take little kids, especially badly behaved ones. Anyway, the trip to the falls was fun, and a good way to work out the traveling stiffness. Plus, it let us drive most of the race route to get a feel for what to expect.

The marathon itself was a point to point course, and we had to ride a school bus to the start line at Turner Falls overlook. The bus left at 6:40am for the 7:30 start time. At the start, it was about 34 degrees. We opted for long sleeves and shorts. Wish I'd had a cheap blanket or something that I could just dump after the start, as it was a tad chilly. I made good time on the first half of the race, relying on my camelbak and running past all the water stops. All of my first half miles were mid 9s to mid 10s. Definitely took advantage of the largely downhill first half to boost my time without wearing myself down too much.

After I hit the halfway mark, I started using the water stops--walking through them, alternating Gatorade and water, and taking half a banana at one. The second half of my race was all low 11s to high 12s. This part was much hillier. Nothing steep, but several long and sloping ones. I started feeling some aching in my quads at around mile 18 (keep in mind, my longest training run was 17 miles, and that was before a 4 week hiatus due to injury). The aching died down at around mile 20 and I got a second wind around the time I hit mile 21 (I think that one was 10:50 pace). About mile 22, we headed north into the wind, and I felt like I was barely moving. I walked several times from then until the end of the race, but managed to keep under 13 minute miles throughout. The finish was 1 lap around the high school track.

My gun time ended up being 4:52:02, and chip time was 4:51:56. I came in 4/4 in my age group. The person who came in 3rd finished in 4:08, so I didn't have a snowball's chance of beating any of them! Tough competition this year.

Overall, I'm happy-ish with my time. I know it would have been better if I hadn't injured myself, which is a bit disappointing. I had originally hoped for 4:30, but had to let that go due to reduced training. But I still finished in under 5 hours, which was my new post-injury stretch goal.

I just can't believe it's over. I finally ran the race I've been training for for months. Now what do I do with myself? I'll have to think on that over the next week as I rest up. Considering adding some speed work and trying to improve times for upcoming shorter distance races (half, quarter, 5k)...
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    pcarvalho3 wrote: »

exercise.png

Had a slow week, only 20k. A have a goal of 100k so 25k a week, right? But no, this week it did not happen.
    It's cold again, so back to running inside (boring...).
    To get things worse, Friday had a laser treatment done to my eyes, so Saturday was feeling, dizzy and sick. Couldn't run.
    Sunday to EATING events, a brunch with my friends and a birthday party in a sugar shack, oh gawd... Woke up early to run at the gym.
    Hope to catch up this week, but not sure they're announcing SNOW for Wednesday. Reeeally?

We have the same goal - you're doing well! You'll make it. :) I just relocated a large bag of Cadbury Mini-Eggs and a canister of Pringles (yes, both) to a back office because I can't control myself today. And it was my easy run day, so precious few little calories for me ... diet of chocolate and water isn't terribly satisfying. :)
  • rune1990
    Options
    @ariceroni love the outfits, well done!
    @meganridenour lovely pic, tho that looks like the water is realllllly high?
    @skippygirlsmom my husband used to do long haul, gone for about 3 weeks at a time. Not quite as long as yours, but I know how ya feel. Kinda sucks eh!
    @Elise4270 Wow that is a lot of bling, lol. My race that i signed up for is expecting about 4k runners. Kinda freaking me out. I try to avoid high pop encounters...
    @freakymistkd count it if it counts to you! The only ones we're accountable to here is ourselves :) And I don't blame you, outside alone at night freaks me out.

Ok apparently I'm having an higher anxiety day today. It's thinking about my stupid hip that's doing it. Shouldn't run on it I don't think, biking will probably aggravate it (hell, driving did today). I mean technically I should probably do NOTHING! Bursitis, arthritis, something along those lines I'm thinking.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    :lol::lol: Oh, nothing that big really. They definitely have loads of iron and help in transport of oxygen through the blood. There are some indications that taking beet juice before a 2 to 4 hour run has a measurable performane gain of 1% to 2% reduction in time due to the nitrates in the beets, but that's not necessarily why I wanted to get some. I'm more interested in having the added nutrients in them that are lacking in basically everything else...and maybe out of curiosity to see if it has an impact on endurance. I had a 4 mile run planned and I know from one of my routes that I hit the 2 mile mark right in front of a grocery store. So I did not have to add it to a shopping list for later, I just picked them up while on my run today!:smile:

hey, I read that about beets and beet juice and was curious if it was anedotal or if it really makes a difference. I would be curious on your research.

LOL on "beer notes".

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Great race report, and awesome job running it. Marathons aren't even in my train of thought at the moment.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @ariceroni - I am impressed with that 10 miler. In the races I've been in, the people who run in costume have typically been middle to back of the pack runners; but a sub-8 mile pace should put you well ahead of middle of the pack, and not just in your age group! Speed plus a nice theme costume is something I don't see very often.

Brandon York (as pictured in his strava profile pic) won the 2015 Cookie Dash 5K wearing a bunny rabbit costume in 15:34 (5:01 pace).

This guy qualified and ran in the Olympic Trials marathon last month in L.A.
  • rune1990
    Options
    @zmcgrandles that is awesome, congrats on your first race and great job!!!
    @kristinegift aww awesome friends :)
    @brian_gunther wooohoooo you got this! Those programs got me running!
    @ceciliaslater grats on the race, awesome job on the finish post injury!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Great race report and awesome job on your marathon. I assume that was your first?
    That's gotta be tough to do after recouping from injury and running on a 17 miler previously. My first, I hit a bad wall at mile ~21/22 and had to walk a couple of miles before I finished.

Just keep up the mileage and work on that. Maybe some tempo runs. I do hardly any speedwork for marathon training.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    @ceciliaslater - Way to go on pushing through the injury to get to the start and persevering a challenging marathon!

I agree with @ Stoshew71's advice about keeping your mileage up. There are many races still this year.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater I heard he last bit of that course is hard with the wind. I think that's why they offered the 20.6 just for kicks, to avoid the park (my training ground).

I'm in awe of the marathon still. I think I hear a distant calling, but I keep trying to ignore it and focus on a sub 2 half.

Turner falls is a nice place. I know the cave you speak of. My husband climbed it, I refused. Like you said, it's not a place for everyone. The castle is cool, lots of steps. There's a group of guys in the area that train in Turner falls. They are crazy fast. I've done one all day walk there, and had no desire to try again.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    According to Runkeeper (walking and running) I'm over my mileage goal...According to Garmin (Running only) I have just 7.11 miles to go to reach it....47.89/56...With 2 more 3 mile runs and a 5 mile run this week, Things look good for getting there ahead of time. Going to up the goal for next month I think. Thanks to an awesome community for encouragement and advice!
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Gonna throw this out there for some ideas. The half marathon I'm signed up for has 6 miles on gravel road. I'm currently running Nike Pegasus 32 for shoes. I haven't run on gravel much (not much near me) I am wondering, are they an appropriate shoe for this? I love them, so it's actually not an excuse to get another pair of shoes, just out of curiosity.