March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    But my runner brain said, "There is no bad weather. There is only inappropriate clothing."

OMG, I love this. lol

How did I miss that? It's awesome.....new Running challenge motto?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to do this at recovery pace (~8:45) but my afternoon coffee left my body thinking an 8:15 pace was easy. Oops. I tried listening to calmer music, breathing through my nose... nothing could get my legs to slow down! Hopefully I won't pay for that when I tackle some speedwork tomorrow morning...

So I fell into the same trap yesterday. Mon, Tue, were all easy/recovery paces. Normally Wednesday is a normal recovery run for me (assuming Mon and Tue were quality days). But I had started to get back some of my strength that I lost from last Saturday's trail run. In my head I was thinking, now don't go out too fast because you have your group run in the morning. So I tried to keep it under control. So when I noticed myself exerting too much energy, I tried to relax myself and all of my muscles, return to proper form (arch hips in and use those glutes), keep everything else nice and relaxed... then look at my watch and I am going even faster. That's not supposed to happen. LOL

So yeah, today's run reminded me that I am not fully recovered from saturday and that yesterday was actually a quality day and not a recovery day. I did good for the first 3 miles, then quickly crashed. But those last 5 miles count even though they were slower than normal.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    But my runner brain said, "There is no bad weather. There is only inappropriate clothing."

OMG, I love this. lol

Our next "t-shirt" order will have to be sweat hoodies and long sleeve tech shirts with this motto, maybe?

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

OMG, I love this. lol

Our next "t-shirt" order will have to be sweat hoodies and long sleeve tech shirts with this motto, maybe?

That would be approptiate
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options

OMG, I love this. lol

Fantastic idea!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace (pm)
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m @ 6:45 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    3/07: Off, have the flu
    3/08: 4.25 miles, easy
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (am)
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (pm)
    3/10: 4.75 miles, 3x800m @ 6:45 pace + 2x400m @ 6:30 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/11: 5 miles, super easy
    3/12: 2 miles, warm up
    3/12: 5K race, 23:27
    3/13: 9 miles, easy with strong finish
    3/14: 5 miles, easy
    3/15: 5 miles, 1.5 miles at LT pace (7:40)
    3/16: 5 miles, easy
    3/17: 5 miles, 3x1/2 mile @ 7:00 pace with 1/2 mile recovery
    3/18: Off, rest day
    3/19: 3 miles, easy with quick finish
    3/20: 10 mile race, 1:19:39
    3/21: 4 miles, easy
    3/22: 5 miles, easy
    3/23: Off, rest day
    3/24: 6 miles, easy (am)
    Total: 130.87 miles

Overview:
    This morning’s run was a cold, rainy 6 miles. I really was not feeling this run and my legs were dragging the whole time. I’m proud of myself for going out there anyways and getting my morning miles in.

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    03/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler 1:19:39 - PR and 2nd in my age group!
    03/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

OMG, I love this. lol

Where is the order link???
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I'm really concerned about summer running. I actually started running initially in hot August weather 2014 and I did okay but I was a beginner doing intervals and short distances. Last summer, I had worked up to 7 miles over spring and really improved my pace and everything just went downhill with summer. I couldn't run more than 20 min before getting chills, seeing spots, feeling like I was going to pass out. I drink a lot but I'm a super heavy sweater :-/ I'll try again this summer but I'm anxious. I did wear a cheap hat yesterday for the first time but the thing with me and hats is I have a really small head. Lol! Any and all ideas are appreciated :)
    @greenolivetree and @instantmartian - I too have a small head and I always wear a hat. I go to a running or sports store where they have hats specifically for women that are adjustable in the back. I have also purchased cheaper ones at Target (women's golf hats) that are also adjustable.
    I also sweat a lot and I think it is important to hydrate when run for sure but also all day long and if you are a salty sweater you may need some salt tablets on longer runs. Most important though is to slow down, really slow down. If you use a HRM you can see the impact of running in the heat as your HR will be much higher and it can be really hard to keep it low enough. This is a pretty good article about running in the heat - http://www.runnersworld.com/advanced-training/summer-running-how-to-stand-the-heat
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

OMG, I love this. lol

Where is the order link???
    LOL - I loved that quote too when I read it! Would be great on a hoodie!

@greenolivetree - I'm in Orlando and the summers are long and hot and humid. I leave at 4:30 am most days, and it is unbelievably humid. I am completely drenched when I get back. I also started running in the summer of 2014 - but I was away in Monterey for a month and the weather was perfect. When I got back home I quickly learned I could not do the same thing at home as in Northern CA!
    I try to run before sunrise and go slow. I don't bring a drink along unless it will be more than one hour - and I have a friend 3 miles away where I can stash frozen water in her mailbox. It works great. I also bought one of those towel things and I think it did help but I had a little trouble keeping it tight.

I did intervals again today and I really like these! I had read all about them from you all in here but just started in the last few weeks doing it and I find it is really fun and I'm amazed at how well I do. I made up my own plan - 12 minute slow run, then 10 high intensity intervals that are one minute each, with 2 minutes low intensity in between and then a cool down until the end. I never thought I would like something like that but it is fun.

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13- 62.5 miles biking Tour de Cure
    March 14 - 4.12 miles - PI run + 0.98
    March 15 - Recovery day
    March 16 - 4.7 miles (intervals) + strength training
    March 17 - 4.5 miles
    March 18 - strength training cancelled :(
    March 19 - 34 mile bike ride
    March 20 - 8.4 miles - biking was canceled so impromptu run
    March 21 - 4.4 miles (after school) + day 1 of 28 squat challenge
    March 22 - 4.4 miles (intervals on a beautiful chilly morning) + day 2 of squats
    March 23 - 22 mile bike ride + day 3 of squats which was a rest day for squats! I did great on that!
    March 24 - 5.1 miles - intervals! Squats coming up today!

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 - what is that you are holding in your profile picture?
    @kgj4105 - welcome to the running addicts club! Hello my name is.... and I am addicted to running :laugh:
    I should not keep looking at the Brooks website....there's a new pair of shoes I want to possibly
    Ha - not being able to run, workout or drive has me doing the only thing left to do (at least in my mind) besides going for walks and that is trolling the running gear sites... so far I have only bought an outfit (running capris and shirt) and a journal but it is getting harder and harder to pass up the shoes! I went so far as to put a pair in my basket and then talked myself out of them!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

OMG, I love this. lol

I might have just stolen this for my Facebook status. ;)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MNLittlefinn that Brooks site is the devil! I did some shopping at Academy the other day :smile:
    @elise4270 I loved the article, what a great story. How awesome is Chris Bilbrew that he gets out there and runs with him every morning. Super.
    Thanks everyone for the super support. I didn't even try to run today, but I did get up and do my exercises. I'll try tomorrow.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @greenolivetree and @instantmartian - I too have a small head and I always wear a hat. I go to a running or sports store where they have hats specifically for women that are adjustable in the back. I have also purchased cheaper ones at Target (women's golf hats) that are also adjustable.

My hat problem isn't necessarily always about circumference. Women's hats can fit that way, but my problem is also about the distance between the top of my head and my ears. In many instances, when I wear hats properly, they sit on the top of my hears and rub/hurt after a few miles. Oh, well. I've survived this long! haha
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Mar: 0.00 miles but 6.14 miles (walk)
    02-Mar: 0.00 miles but 5.73 miles (walk)
    03-Mar: 2.10 miles plus 2.50 miles (walk)
    04-Mar: 0.00 miles but 5.96 miles (walk)
    05-Mar: 3.16 miles
    06-Mar: <Life Day> but 6.87 miles
    07-Mar: 3.87 miles
    08-Mar: 4.93 miles
    09-Mar: 4.30 miles
    10-Mar: 3.28 miles plus 2.35 miles (walk)
    11-Mar: 4.66 miles
    12-Mar: 3.35 miles
    13-Mar: <Life Day> but 2.47 miles (walk)
    14-Mar: 4.72 miles
    15-Mar: 6.05 miles
    16-Mar: 3.17 miles
    17-Mar: 3.25 miles
    18-Mar: 6.67 miles
    19-Mar: 3.10 miles - Cherry Blossom Road Race 5K
    20-Mar: <Life Day>
    21-Mar: 5.40 miles
    22-Mar: 7.13 miles
    23-Mar: 3.18 miles
    24-Mar: 7.25 miles
    25-Mar:
    26-Mar:
    27-Mar: <Life Day>
    28-Mar:
    29-Mar:
    30-Mar:
    31-Mar:

exercise.png

It being race season, there's actually a whole lot more races/events I'm looking at, but I'm afraid of looking like @WhatMeRunning with his list of eleventy-one races he's doing.... :smiley:

Upcoming Races:
    02-Apr: Run 2 End Alzheimer's 10.5K, Bonaire, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Decided to test out the hip today and it felt pretty good on the treadmill for a 5k. I've been resting it from running for about 3 days, focusing on stretching and strength which I will continue to do. I think for now I will go back to running every other day and build up those runs. After and undecided amount of time I will introduce one back to back run. I'M SO RELIEVED!

I feel like I've taken a week off running and it's really been just three days! AND I squeezed a little mile in there. I'll call this my cut back week and roll on.

3/1 - 3.1
    3/2 - 3.1
    3/3 - x-train stationary bike
    3/4 - 3.1 slooow miles with my average HR
    3/5 - bought new shoes!
    3/6 - 4 miles
    3/7 - x-train stationary bike
    3/8 - 3.1
    3/9 - 3.1
    3/10 - true rest day
    3/11 - awesome 3.1
    3/12 - 3.1 windy but great
    3/13 - 2 mile building
    3/14 - x-train stationary bike
    3/15 - awesome 3.1. super awesome
    3/16 - 3.1
    3/17 - rest day. hip feeling hot, iced
    3/18 - 3.1 iced hip
    3/19 - 3.1 iced hip
    3/20 - 3.1 hip hurting. iced. stretches
    3/21 - rest. strength stretches hip glutes
    3/22 - 1 mile treadmill, felt good strength stretches for hips glutes
    3/23 - rest.
    3/24 - 3.1 treadmill. good dynamic stretches first, nice stretching after. no pain, iced after just in case.

exercise.png

June 25 Perth Kilt Run 8km
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @shanaber she is a tegu-her name is Gene. a local guy goes around with her and lets people hold her
    tegulizard_13593718_8col.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    It being race season, there's actually a whole lot more races/events I'm looking at, but I'm afraid of looking like @WhatMeRunning with his list of eleventy-one races he's doing.... :smiley:
    Ummm....

...that would be eleventy-two. I singed up for another yesterday. I didn't mention it with my post this morning because I was worried there might be a text limit or something...

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support on hot weather and small heads :smiley: My hat is from Target, ladies adjustable. I tried on several last summer and even bought & returned a nice one from Academy. I have thought about trying kids size. I got 2 winter caps as this January/February was my first time running below freezing. Those come down over my eyes. Hehe. I haven't run in rain yet but I'm learning to push through and not only run in perfect weather :wink:

No running for me today. But looking forward to tomorrow! Gonna tackle "the big hill". I've been working my way up it the past 3 Fridays. A little further each week! Normally Friday is also my longest run and I've made it up to 6.5 miles so far. But I'm gonna stay at 4 tomorrow because my husband and son have plans Saturday and I'll get my long run then. 7 miles maybe or stick to 6.5?
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    CChen8520 wrote: »
    HAVE NO IDEA HOW I CREATED TWO TICKERS....

exercise.png

Shouldn't your ticker runner be running AWAY from the giant paw prints? LOL...