Paleo... your take

Options
124»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I have been eating and cooking the Paleoish and Whole30ish way for long time now. I say "ish" because if you think about the principles of the dies, it works, and where it falls short is just like any other diet eliminates too many foods that unless you are allergic to, it eliminates (beans, grains, milk etc.)
    Concentrate on eating plenty of fruits, veggies, lean meats and mix in some legumes and grains here and there. Cook at home and dont buy the crappy processed stuff and by default you are paleo :)
    No not exactly...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Or just balanced.

or anything else. Point is you can call your diet anything you want but the Paleo Diet has defined parameters. And grains, legumes and dairy aren't in those parameters.

I totally agree. Meat only makes about 10% of my diet, if not less, I can't call myself vegetarian-ish or vegan-ish just because I eat more plants than the typical omnivore because both of these diets have clearly defined parameters which I don't meet. Same thing with Paleo.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have been eating and cooking the Paleoish and Whole30ish way for long time now. I say "ish" because if you think about the principles of the dies, it works, and where it falls short is just like any other diet eliminates too many foods that unless you are allergic to, it eliminates (beans, grains, milk etc.)
    Concentrate on eating plenty of fruits, veggies, lean meats and mix in some legumes and grains here and there. Cook at home and dont buy the crappy processed stuff and by default you are paleo :)

No, since the central rules of paleo are no grains, legumes, or dairy, if you eat grains, legumes, and dairy you aren't paleo. Numerous healthy diets involve lots of whole foods, vegetables, lean proteins, etc. so that doesn't make a diet paleo. That's how I eat too (I aim for more of a mediterranean style, and tend to prefer olive oil to coconut oil as a matter of personal preference, lots of seafood, and eat whole grains and legumes and greek yogurt and cheese). It's not inherently paleo, nor do most people necessarily eat better for going paleo, as many people already eat lots of whole foods and vegetables, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

You are better off saying that you follow a flexible diet or you don't even follow a specific type of diet. I know i never associate my eating style with one diet as I take the best of many diets.

But saying you are paleo while eating legumes, grains and dairy is the equivalent of a vegan eating meat occasional or wearing leather.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic- but I have a theory that trainers assign paleo/keto/low carb to clients because it is an easy shorthand for them to get their clients to eat less without having to convince them to count calories or monitor them through their eating. Saying "don't eat bread, pasta, cookies, etc." is easier than "eat whatever you want in moderation, but you need to log everything you eat, and stay below x calories a day." Also, if the person is not losing weight, it's easier for the trainer to be like, "well, did you eat bread?" and the client will fess up they ate 2 carbs the other day, and that can be the explanation, rather than the trainer having to tell the client, "hey, you are eating more than you think you are." Because people don't like unpleasant truths. If bread can be evil rather than a client's inability to track/weigh/monitor their food, all the better.

No, no you are not. You can call it paleo or paleoish if you want, but you could also call it Dash or Mediterranean or Fred.

And thats why I said that just like any diet to follow this strictly and for like will not happen. Whole, healthy, nutritious food will win out over any diet any day. That and moderation.

This is why I eat whole, healthy and nutritious Oreos. Moderation in all things.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

No, no you are not. You can call it paleo or paleoish if you want, but you could also call it Dash or Mediterranean or Fred.

And thats why I said that just like any diet to follow this strictly and for like will not happen. Whole, healthy, nutritious food will win out over any diet any day. That and moderation.

I agree. I just don't see why you'd tout Paleo when you don't follow it. There are a number of popular diets that better describe the way you eat.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic- but I have a theory that trainers assign paleo/keto/low carb to clients because it is an easy shorthand for them to get their clients to eat less without having to convince them to count calories or monitor them through their eating. Saying "don't eat bread, pasta, cookies, etc." is easier than "eat whatever you want in moderation, but you need to log everything you eat, and stay below x calories a day." Also, if the person is not losing weight, it's easier for the trainer to be like, "well, did you eat bread?" and the client will fess up they ate 2 carbs the other day, and that can be the explanation, rather than the trainer having to tell the client, "hey, you are eating more than you think you are." Because people don't like unpleasant truths. If bread can be evil rather than a client's inability to track/weigh/monitor their food, all the better.

This is why I eat whole, healthy and nutritious Oreos. Moderation in all things.

It is a part of it. Plenty of trainers have probably seen that while calorie counting works for the devout, compliance in such programs is hard.
    I also imagine there's quite a few that hand out cookie cutter diets because they don't actually have the knowledge to tailor or teach diet and nutrition to their clients. Some of them may not even really understand diet and nutrition enough for themselves personally.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

It is a part of it. Plenty of trainers have probably seen that while calorie counting works for the devout, compliance in such programs is hard.
    I also imagine there's quite a few that hand out cookie cutter diets because they don't actually have the knowledge to tailor or teach diet and nutrition to their clients. Some of them may not even really understand diet and nutrition enough for themselves personally.

Truth. And a lot of them still rely on old broscience - 6 meals per day to stay "anabolic", make sure to drink a protein shake within 30 minutes after your workout, cut carbs, eat nothing but chicken, brown rice and broccoli, etc. Not that those things won't work, but they're completely unnecessary.