WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Kimses- I love House of Cards - what season was released?

Marcelynn - I had to laugh at the fact that feel a need to finish a book that you don't like. I thought I was the only weirdo that couldn't just stop reading a book that I didn't really enjoy. And to think that a psychologist once told me that I never finished anything!confusion-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • GloworminWA
    Welcome LadyChar - That now makes 3 of us who will turn 70 next month. Me on the 8th and I can't remember who else it is on here later in the month.

My daughters informed me that we are having a "soiree" in Seattle on the 9th. I asked them in the male strippers were in town . . . LOL That's all I know seems it's all very hush hush except the part about it being in Seattle and no kids allowed (oh darn)!

Who else is 70 or over?

Gloria partying-smiley-emoticon-1.gif
  • GloworminWA
    Terri - I'm a cog, I'm a cog, I'm a cog! And I love being a cog! I think you look very regal in your new photo. Reminds me of Dorothy (Bea Arthur) from Golden Girls. We should all have as much fun as they did at our ages!

Rori - I absolutely love Newport Beach. I grew up in Anaheim so Huntington Beach was where I hung out most of the time but Newport is just down Pac Hwy and spent much time there also. I am a CA beach girl at heart and will die being so. I've been in WA since 1979 but CA will always be my home.

Beth - Sending good thoughts your way so you can go back to your normally happy self like your picture depicts! Just take your index fingers, place one on each side of your mouth and push up! You can do it!!!

Love and hugs to all - thanks for all of the congrats!!!

Stats for March 4
    5X10Xthe kitchen counter (when doing this pushup should my boobs be on top of the counter or underneath?)
    5X10Xthe wall
    5Xminutes dancing on feet to Mortdecai music
    5Xminutes dancing in chair

Uh oh - someone has put my battery back in and I am fully charged and ready to go! Watch my dust tomorrow when I start the walking challenge Just put a stepper app on my Iphone. Woot!Woot! Chuga Chugatrain-goodbye-smiley-emoticon.gif

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,603 Member
    Seems a lot of people, whatever their ages, are getting revved up and recharged for the spring. :D Excellent job!
    Welcome new ladies. Jusy start with baby steps and you have no idea where it will end up. I certainly didn't. I haven't hit 70 yet, but I am 66 and feel better than ever. :D I was fat, miserable, almost crippled by bad joints and sinking into despair. Nearly 4 years (in June) later, I am slim, happy, energetic and feel I have a lot to look forward to. :bigsmile: It doesn't happen all at once, I would ssy it is a slow miracle, but nevertheless it is miraculous.
    No tricks, no funny foods, no diet; just excellent, healthy food, consistent logging and an exercise programme you can stick to. My exercise is my highest priority, but it was a slow build up. When I started I was out of breath walking along the flat sidewalk for 100 yards.

Those of our group who are finding life and slimming difficult are those with very heavy burdens in the caring department. My heart goes out to you. It's not my place to give advice as only you know what the issues are, but even a little bit of "me time" , or making the hard decision to put yourself first occasionally, may help. I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through. :flowerforyou:

Kim - Yes you are right about DS and DDIL. My son loves to live on the edge or he gets bored and my DDIL is wise enough to know that. She is very supportive of him. Her clear boundaries and innate sense of her own worth are also a great help. I just hope it all works out. :ohwell:

Love to all, Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,996 Member
    Morning ladies~
    Wow am I sore... but a good kind of sore... have to go to work 7:30-noon today and am on the fence about going to the gym.. I like early mornings at the gym, so I think It will be a walk today after work....
    Lisa~ hard decision but wowza money.. I understand you are between a rock and a hard place...would it help you both retire earlier?
    I am starting to really enjoy getting up and going to the gym again and I feel much better.. just have to keep it up..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Welcome to all the new members of our chat! Please keep coming and tell us about yourselves.

Lisa ~ Pray that you will make the right decision for you and your husband.

Beth ~ Hoping you have a better and brighter day.

Kim and Penny and Others ~ I detest licorice.

My experience with the oral surgeon and extraction was horrible. I didn't get seen until 2 hrs after my appointment time. Finally, went through the extraction of what was left of the tooth that had had a crown on it. Drilled, hammered, dug, etc. Was ready to hit the ceiling. I know he was a good doctor. Just hope I never have to have another tooth pulled. The darn thing bled until 10 PM when I finally just went to bed with gauze in my mouth.

Carol
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    edited March 2016
    B)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,847 Member
    Good morning! Happy Saturday! Got a good night's sleep, last night. My little house guest went home yesterday; and even though I see him every weekday before and after school, he still cried when he left to go home because "...I love it here!" He gave me a big hug. I sometimes forget that my daycare, in some of the kids cases, is the only stability that they have in their lives. This little guy's parents are newly divorced, and mama is in a new relationship, and I am sure things are not very civil during "hand-off" times. He has been one of my daycare kids since he was one year old and my house probably feels very safe to him. Have to admit, as tired as I am of my job and having kids around ALL of the time; my heart broke a little to watch him go home, when he really wanted to stay with me longer.
    My cough is still with me, I now sound like a two pack a day smoker! Thank goodness I am not! That is a hurdle I don't need to get over. Been there, done that.

drcrisos -Sweet pup in the picture! Sorry for your loss! I am without furbabies, but I had a dog growing up and I know the place that they hold in our hearts stays forever! In regards to the scale- I grew up watching my mom use a scale for her food and thought it was silly; but I am a die hard scale user. I weigh/measure everything now. I bought a rather inexpensive digital ($22), but it works really well. I keep parchment/wax paper squares nearby to place on the scale to weigh my food.

[b]Diane, Mardill, Keepmovin16 and Char- Welcome new girls! Jump in when you see something that interests you! Diane, I am turning 50 this year and have gone through menopause early and my body has decided to work against me! I can't give advice about battling the "pooch/pouch" because I have more to lose than that, but it has all come down to diet for me. I have had to really restrict my foods, because my body seems hell bent on turning everything into added padding. I am doing a high protein/low carb and fat plan. I still have to put in at least 30 minutes of cardio (walking will do) every day. It looks like you are in good shape, so Mary or Barbie or one of the other ladies probably have some great "pooch" losing ideas for you! Good luck all! Glad to have you!

Beth
    - Glad to see you! Hope you are feeling better! We miss you and your sense of humor!

Lisa- Ugh! I don't envy you and your decision! It is a hard thing to weigh; some extra $$ versus the extra stress... Good luck! Thinking of you in this decision!

Anne in WI- Just checkin in with you and saying "HI!" Hope your weekend is relaxing and treats you well! Better yet...I hope you do something this weekend to treat yourself! Thinking of you! <3

Gloria- I have that problem with books, also! No matter how awful the book is; once I begin, I have to read it through. There was one book this year that I just couldn't read through because it was making me so angry and remarkably it was The Happiness Project!

NC Carol- LOLOLOL! OH NO YOU DON'T! You absolutely can not say "I had the most boring date ever..." and leave it at that! Spill girl!

Becca- "There was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead; when she was good, she was very, very good, when she was bad she was horrid." Was it you that quoted this? My mom used to say this rhyme all of the time when my sister and I were naughty; but because my sister had the curly hair, I always thought it was about her!

Got my strength training in this morning:
    1 minute push-ups
    1 minute bridge
    1 minute Superman
    1 minute jump squats
    1 minute lateral lunges
    (repeat four times)

added a two minute plank
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    KJLaMore thanks for thinking of me. Going to the best I can to be positive. Not that easy right now but it is better than sitting on the couch crying eating a box of girl scout cookies.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Hi, all...

Allie - yep, the job, if I get it, would let us pay off the warehouse and sock enough away that my hubby might be able to retire with me when I'm 65 and he's 56 (he's nine years younger) and just travel. This job has the possibility of going full-time built into the contract, which is unusual for this company, as well--so the future might be even brighter, if I can stand up under the pressure.

Carol/Peach, Kim, KJ, Katla, everyone, thank you for the support. I hope there's a win-win here, myself, and the possibilities are intriguing, or I would have just said "No, thanks."

NC Carol - we'll have to meet somewhere in the middle! And what the heck happened on the date?

(TL;DR warning) The reason my husband can't just up and go with me (I have to keep remembering, IF the job is offered, of course) is that he's nine months away from vesting in his 401K match, and that is also a fair chunk of money. So, basically, as of December 2, he's free to decide whether to stay here or come join me in Raleigh. If I get the job...

This company laid me off--oh heck, it's Cisco Systems, I'm tired of typing "this company." Cisco laid me off in 2013, but I was in good company--they also laid off 10 of the 14 folks who worked for me, and approximately 4,000 other people. They got rid of 12,000 people in two years, all told.

It was personally pretty devastating. I was told October 1, 2013, that I had the choice, either I could tell my people they were laid off or my boss would, and she gave me a list. And as soon as I finished, I was laid off as well. In order to get my severance, I was also expected to do a "knowledge transfer" over the next two weeks for the poor buggers that had to do all the same work with 11 less people on the team. It was a tough time, but it was a heck of a severance package. Because I was over 50, and in a protected group, I got an extra chunk of money to sign a piece paper saying I wouldn't sue. I wasn't going to anyway, but wasn't going to turn it down! So, it allowed us to pay off everything, put some money away, and come back down here to Texas.

Here's the deal, and one of the reasons I'm pretty sure there may be an offer--Cisco people LOVE to hire ex-Cisco people, because it's a very different culture, and most folks simply can't cut it, honestly. There's an expectation of being in communication about 16 hours out of the day, starting early, working late, basically drinking the Cisco Kool-Aid, and very little tolerance for anyone who's a 9-to-5'er. There is no work life balance. It would actually be a good thing to be away from my husband for a bit if this comes through, as my entire attention for the first couple months would be riveted on the job, until I get my feet under me. You work, you come home, you sleep, you go back to it. It's part of the deal. And I honestly thrive in that environment for some reason.

So, that's the thought process. Sorry for writing a book, but being able to put it down in black & white steadies my thinking, and appreciate being able to lay it out for someone. Not putting it out in any of my other social arenas, like Facebook, because a) it could fall through, b) my husband's boss is connected to me on Facebook, c) so are a number of my old Cisco buddies, d) so are our kids, and don't want to freak them out and make them think I'm leaving their daddy! :smiley:

Lisa in West Texas (for now)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Sorry for being MIA again. My flu came back with a vengeance. Still feel awful, but today is caucus day, so I have to feel better by 2:00.

My hips are killing me, so I'm going to call the doc and take the next step. She was talking about injections. The anti inflammatory meds made me really constipated, so I quit those fearing another bowel blockage.

I'm going back to bed. Have a beautiful Saturday!

Sylvia
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Sylvia hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself. Hugs

Anne from Wisconsin
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Lisa, what a huge decision, knowing what I do about you, you'll figure out a way to make it work, or pass - you seem to have a good handle on what is important.
    I second this quote. Life has a funny way of giving you choices, and isnt that wonderful?

Beginning to feel under the weather but am going to the gym before i do anything else. Taking care of sic daughter and surrounded by sick folks at work, was bound to swing around and hit me. I am going to make some home made chicken broth (my fave) and drink it out. I hope.
    Karen from ny
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    edited March 2016
    Stayed up late and slept late but got my 10,000 steps and strong lifts along with making smart food choices at restaurants yesterday :smiley:
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Glowormin Season 4 of House of Cards was released yesterday. I have a deal with myself I won't watch it unless I'm on the elliptical.

I'm pretty frustrated this week. I worked out hard for at least an hour each day and my weight it up 2 lbs. This happens to me consistently and the only thing I can think of is my portion sizes. I've read articles that said working out too much causes people to eat too much (not that an hour is too much). Maybe my path to weight loss is to pay more attention to the food part and less to the exercise part. Dunno.

I think for next week I'll just stick with the 30 min of P90x3 a day or (elliptical or swim) and commit to measuring.

Grrrrr....aggravated. But I love me (I have to say that so I don't get into the berating mode).

Kimses in MA
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Good morning!

The date: I should have said no to begin with because he lives over an hour away but he basically begged. His profile says he is 5'7". Not!! I'm 5'7" and I was taller than he was. In age, he is two years older than I am but he looks, dresses, and acts like an "old" man. There is nothing young in spirit about him. And he doesn't talk!! I'm an introvert so small talk is hard anyway, but I asked all sorts of questions to try to start a conversation and got nothin! He was nice but I was ready to leave as soon as the meal was over. I stuck it out until 10 o'clock and was ever so glad to get in my car and come home. I have got to find a polite way of saying we're not ever going to have ANY sort of relationship! See! Even my description is boring! LOL

I didn't sleep much last night. My stomach hurt--don't have a clue as to why. I think a nap is in my future.

My son left about 30 minutes ago to begin his trip to Charlotte and leaves from there tomorrow to head to Panama City, FL for Spring break. I hope he has fun and I am going to enjoy my time alone this week!

I have a 2nd date tonight with a guy who is at least fun to be around. Not sure it will ever go anywhere but at least I enjoy his company.

BTW, we went to Olive Garden last night and I brought half of my lighter fare meal home because it was more than I could eat. I'll enjoy it for lunch tomorrow! Anyway, I avoided breadsticks and came out at just over 300 calories for my meal.

I hope everyone has a lovely Saturday!

Carol in sunny NC

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lisa: Good luck with the possible job. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: (((hugs)))

Barbie: Congratulations on the smart choices at restaurants and getting your steps in! :bigsmile:

Today is a busy day. I have a riding lesson and we are supposed to go north to visit DS and DDIL. I'm thinking that may be a bit much for today & considering calling in sick for the riding lesson. I don't know what I'll decide yet. I banged my healing wrist pretty hard yesterday while I was in the process of refilling hummingbird feeders. I didn't spill a drop and the wrist seems to be doing fine this morning.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Sylvia - I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. Sending hugs and chicken soup. Hope you feel better soon, you seem to have had more than your fair share lately.

Janetr okc
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited March 2016
    Morning all!

Living the Aspie life is a roller coaster...I'll leave it at that.

Good news is the scale is going back down and not up as it has been. I've been ever vigilant with logging and measuring.

8osc3p5tqr6w.jpg

Running some errands then to work on 3 crochet projects.

Thinking of all with big decisions, blessings to those in need !

Cheri
    oHIo