WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,996 Member
    evening folks~
    well I am just a few steps below 13,000 steps and just a scunch under calories.. tomorrow working until noon, my cousin called and Dad and I are meeting for lunch on Sunday with him, his wife,my uncle(his dad) and my uncles girlfriend who by the way is my age :open_mouth:
    Tom staying home..
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited March 2016
    10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Goblet squat-3X7X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 5X 10 X 30

Challenge Total- 1500

This definitely is quite a challenge. More so because I am still doing my weight lifting routine. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Hello ladies!
    I'm here ... Just in a foul mood and not very good company. Failed miserably with Febrauary goals ... Have had to put out a few small fires with my older son ... My sinus crud came back... Got bit by a spider while sleeping ?! ... Generally speaking ... I'm having a pity party
    Beth near Buffalo

Beth- i'm sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time! Let us know if you need anything. (((Hugs)))

Becca- I love drinking a Mountain Dew on my cheat day! Or my have anything I want day! But like you I do pay for it. Even eating bread makes me sick. I do notice that because of eating clean most of the time when I do eat things like that I can really tell how negatively it affects my body.

Kimses - yay! It's nice coming away a winner!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Playing catch-up again! I can't believe there are 15 pages already. I will try and scan over the weekend but comments may be sparse.

g76uqldajihf.jpeg

:heart: May not be too far away! :heart:

February 2016 Goals :smiley: didn't do too badly in Feb considering I was on holiday for a third of the month: a week in Austria and 4 days in Rome. Played havoc with my weight!

Start weight: 220lbs (Spring 2014)
    Current weight: 163 (on 1/02)
    Goal weight: 159 (for 29/02)
    Actual Weight: 159 I had two trips abroad in Feb and my weight was up and down like a yo yo.
    Weight lost this month: 4 lbs

Daily goals:
    :star: Pre-log; follow through; balance carbs/protein/fat; 8+ cups liquids 29/29
    :star: 30+ minutes each Strength/flexibility/cardio; 9000+ steps daily 29/29
    :star: finish eating at 9pm 5/7 days per week; 10pm 2/7 days of my choice per week 28/29
    :star: post daily goals/progress - Just for Today/No Late Night Snacking 26/29
    :star: complete Hogwarts/GoTs/LOTRs/12 week weight loss challenges 29/29 My House won both Cups in Hogwarts for 3rd term in a row.
    :star: Post weekly progress reports here :sunglasses: 2/4
    :star: De clutter 15+ minutes every day 18/29 On holiday the other 11 days.
    :star: Work on poetry anthology for 15+ minutes every day 18/29

:smiley: I'm very happy with my progress, especially as I am the lowest weight I have been since my early 30s.

:star:March 2016 Goals :star:

Start weight: 220lbs (Spring 2014)
    Current weight: 159 (on 1/02)
    Goal weight: 155 (for 31/03)
    Actual Weight:
    Weight lost this month: lbs

Daily goals:
    :star: Pre-log; follow through; balance carbs/protein/fat; 8+ cups liquids.
    :star: 30+ minutes each Strength/flexibility/cardio; 9500+ steps daily.
    :star: finish eating:at 9pm 25/31 days; 10pm 6/31days of my choice.
    :star: post daily goals/progress - Just for Today/No Late Night Snacking.
    :star: complete Hogwarts/GoTs/LOTRs/12 week weight loss challenges.
    :star: Post progress here at the end of March. :sunglasses:
    :star: De clutter 15+ minutes every day
    :star: Work on poetry anthology for 15+ minutes every day

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses:[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/grey%5E_%5Egeorgia%5E_%5E3%5E_%5E5%5E_%5EWelcome! Newbies!%5E_%5E.gif[/img] :smiley:

:smiley: Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:star: There is no failure so long as you keep trying! :star:
    :heart: Let your light shine in the wilderness! :heart:

80464089.png

:star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
    [/quote]
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Goblet squat-3X7X 30

Challenge Total- 1500

This definitely is quite a challenge. More so because I am still doing my weight lifting routine. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!

Mary, I would love to know more about this challenge! I'm trying to increase my swings per week. :smile: Thanks!

Larisa in Seattle
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    DamitJanit wrote: »

Larisa, welcome! You are welcome to lurk as long as you want but when you finish that please tell us a little about yourself. This is a great place for support and information. We also ask that you sign each post with your name and a location, general or specific. Come often.

Thanks, DJ! I did start a little bit of an intro, farther down the thread. Thanks for the tip on signing posts!

Larisa in Seattle :smile:
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Welcome back Terri!
  • TerriRichardson112
    Welcome back Terri!

Thanks, Miriam. Life has just gotten so hectic. I will be glad of the break at Easter!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Being headhunted by one of my old companies... interview Monday. Would require relocation to Raleigh, NC, for 18-month contract. Thinking hard. It's stupid-high money, but high stress, or at least it was. Lots to think about. Been in talks all week, and discussing with my amazing husband.

Weighed one pound less at the end of Feb than at the beginning. Goal is the same for March.

Lisa in West Texas (for now)

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Anna in NE Iowa: Congratulations on the loss!!! :bigsmile:

Penny: I hope you and DH are reunited soon and that his flight is uneventful. :heart: Are you thinking of Red Hots? Little red candies that burn your mouth? :huh:

Heather: Congratulations on being back at target! WTG!! :star::star::star:

MightyLolo: Your goals are great. I have never been able to do a cartwheel and never expect to, but I will cheer when you tell us you've accomplished what you set out to do. :smiley:

Beth: I hope your ailments depart ASAP. :flowerforyou:

Diane: Welcome! Here is what works for me: 1. Log every bite and swallow, 2. Move more, 3. Have fun every day. I'm sure you will figure out what works for you if you stick with it. :smiley:

DJ: Thanks for your good wishes for nice sailing weather. This will likely require a miracle, but miracles do happen. DH and I have a plan. If it is too cold he'll stay ashore and let me share the excitement with the kids. :ohwell:

Terri: Welcome back! :bigsmile:

I went to yoga today without a brace on my wrist and got back into the routine. I didn't hurt myself, but I did push the envelope a little to ensure I make progress at regaining flexibility in my right wrist. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to my riding lesson, and a drive northward to DS' house in the Auburn, WA area. Gloria, I'll think of you as we pass Lacey & Pip, I'll think of you when we pass through the edge of Tacoma. DS & DDIL have planned a sailing adventure for us all. DH will back out if it is cold, and will leave me to be the parental representative afloat. :ohwell: I am hoping for a pleasant day on the water, but will take every bit of protective clothing I can. I don't like to be cold, and especially don't like to be cold and wet at the same time. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 446 Member
    Marcelynn, I adore New Mexico and its food!

Beth, glad you are back but wish life was not so hard right now.

I am so tired of gaining and losing the same pound. Was hoping to hit the Y tonight but feel like my body is fighting an oncoming cold. At least I am under 1200 today.

I hit upon a winner of a dinner idea tonight!

Heat up homemade chicken broth. At the same time cook up some brown basmati rice. Preheat the broiler and broil 4 boneless chicken thighs sprinkled with a bit of this Trader Joe's Indonesian salsa. In the lower rack broil up half a large onion chopped thickly, some broccoli florets and a red pepper also chopped thickly. Cook the veggies until they have a bit of crisp but not too much.
    When the chicken is done chop or shred it too. I wanted it chunky.

Bring everything to the table separately and let people fill their own bowls with what they want. Top with more salsa. This was the first time I bought this stuff and it is spicy! But we loved it.
    Also hoping the broth and spice will help ward off the cold.

I did put a bit of oil and salt on the veggies, but otherwise it was pretty virtuous. And the veggies were cooked but far from mushy.

Betty
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,695 Member
    Hi gals,

Gloria - hip hip hooray!!!

Marcelyn - Black Australian is on the favorite list, not tried dutch – will look for it…

Mary – NO but I would drive anywhere! How do I find out who can get Kemps? I have a wholesale license can he sell it direct to me????

Penny – the nice thing about licorice ice cream is it is strong – so a small amount really does the trick, It is a memory thing for me, when I was young licorice was a flavor that places carried some all the time, many at Halloween as it was black (it is now dark grey as the black food color was banned) . So if it was a “bad” day or a lazy day, my dad would ask if I wanted to go to ice cream – if he took all the kids it was to baskin robbins, but if it was just me – it would be a drive to the licorice place about 1 ½ hours away (each way) and we would get a double scoop of licorice ice cream on a cone and walk by the beach… it was the best! And such a nice way to have one on one time with my dad, he’s been gone for 39 years and sometimes I really miss him.

Heather – your DS and DDIL sound like what we would call “go getters” they will grab life and live it to the fullest.
    Thanks for the info on Hugh Bonneville – I don’t get all over my head about the actors but he comes across in interviews as a genuine nice guy… Not as full of himself as some successful folks get.

Larisa – lurk if you like, but jump in – its fun in here! *** later*** of course we wish you luck, but really not as much luck as persistence! This works if you work it.

Drcrisos - Sorry to hear Reagan passed so young, I love all of the fur babies I have ever had but some dig farther into your heart…. As for the scale, I could not eat without one, I already had one when I started and it died one day, I had to wait breakfast until the store opened to replace it. I am a reasonable judge, and don’t worry too much if I am over a bit on salad greens, but to be over just a bit on a calorie dense thing can eliminate your deficit too darn quick.

KJL “NSV- What is this? New Standard Version? Never Share Viruses? North Shore Vacation? lol I can't figure this one out!” I love your choices - but it is non scale victory…

Anna – Excellent – Way to go!!!!

Beth – glad to see you!

DJ – no TV is not that hard, I have a library near by and get all sorts of things including TV shows on DVD all for no-cost at the library – and I just watch Downton and the news on line…. No TV gives you much more time for other things too… unless you are really good like Barbie and do TV and exercise….

Lisa – Wow Raleigh,NC !! would you leave DH behind and commute?

Betty – sounds like a good dinner!

So I made the crustless quiche and loved it, had the rest of it for lunch today, so have a few extra calories for dinner, I am going to do a baked potato with broccoli and a bit of grated cheese… I used to do this smothered in cheese sauce, but have learned that baked the potato, splitting it adding a tiny amount of cheese some salsa, then a pile of broccoli and then a bit more cheese (I liked a smoked cheese – gouda tonight) back in the oven to melt the cheese and I am in heaven… it’s a bit high depending on the size, but not bad all in all… and very filling.

Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    edited March 2016
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Goblet squat-3X7X 30

Challenge Total- 1500

Mary, I would love to know more about this challenge! I'm trying to increase my swings per week. :smile: Thanks!

Larisa in Seattle

You can google the original if you want. They suggest not to vary challenge but several variations out there. I'm following a woman instructiors variation. Just get 10,000 swings in within 30 days. I also do Stronglifts 5x5 a weight lifting program in the morning. So on those days I do 250 Kettlebell swings using my 30# Kettlebell in the afternoon. First I do GobletSquats 3sets of 7 reps 30# written like 3x7x30. Then Kettlebell swings 25x10x30. On Stronglifts rest day I swing 500 times using my lighter 25# Kettlebell. Warmups are GobletSquats 3x7x25, Kettlebell swings 50x10x25. You can do it any way you want. Decrease sets increase reps I will have some non swing days by doing more now 7- when I need one. I use the app Swing Timerwhich I set work-20sec, rest-40sec. Reps 10, sets 53. So 1 minute intervals. You decide how much rest time and work time you need. One lady that has joined me is doing 15 reps per set. She's averaging 375 swings a day. Let me know how you do.

Kim-even if you're a wholesaler you generally have to order a minimum # of pieces like 15. That is why you might want to check out a restaurant.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited March 2016
    Thanks, Katla. Glad to be back!

Mary from Minnesota I know what you mean. The body sure lets you know when you try to eat something unhealthy!

Allie Have a great time with your family. You deserve the break!

Barbie WOW! Just WOW! Gobsmacked!

Pip, Janetr, Becca et al Since there are no banned foods in my life, cheat days do not exist for me. If I choose to eat something less health that's a conscious decision and I factor it into my day by doing more exercise. It seems to work for me. And I always pay the price now if I overdo it. I'm learning though! And I never drink carbonated. They fill me full of wind.

Diane Big time permanent dietary changes, and loads more exercise!

Heather I wondered what that noise is coming from the. east as I walk along the North Down Coastal path. I keep thinking it's a thunderstorm coming :lol:

Have read oodles of pages but too tired to comment more. Night night! Off to bed!

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/grey%5E_%5Egeorgia%5E_%5E3%5E_%5E5%5E_%5EWelcome! Newbies!%5E_%5E.gif[/img]

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

80464089.png

:star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • fanncy0626
    Irish Terri- I'm glad to see you back! You will have to post some pictures of your vacation!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
    i'm on a 1315day streak!

stats for the day-
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.49min, 13.8amph, 152mhr, 2.9mi = 114c
    Eliptical- 10min, 5incl 10resist, 90strpmin, 150mhr, .96mi = 101c
    Other -physical therapy @ gym- 23min, 7 stretches, 3sets of 15 w/5lb weights = 91c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.53min, 14.3amph, 147mhr, 1.4mi = 74c
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.51min, 9.4amph, 149mhr, 2.6mi = 174c
    total cal 554
  • pipcd34
    terririchards - i don't have any banned things either, if i want it, i eat it and log it
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Anna, when you write "the beautiful bluffs of northeast Iowa" it takes me right back to my own beautiful bluffs which I suspect may be similar to yours. I grew up in Minneapolis, not far from where the Franklin Avenue Bridge crosses the Mississippi. If I close my eyes I can still see those gorgeous limestone cliffs full of red and orange sumacs in the fall. (I can also smell the sewage, but from this vast distance in time, even that has developed a patina of nostalgia.) My next-door neighbor taught at Macalester, up Victoria Crossing way.

Good for you on finding a nutritionist and losing some pounds!
    /Penny

I know that bridge and those bluffs. Now think bigger and without the smell. And if you ever get a chance, Decorah, which is the little town in Iowa where I live, is famous for our Eagle cam. We have had a mated pair of eagles on a web cam for years now. This year they have three eggs. I think they are numbers 24, 25, and 26 for this pair. They are good parents. Just google Decorah Eagles and you will get the web cam. There are classrooms of children that are following our eagles all over the country. But there are large bluffs around the nest and a trout stream. It's just beautiful here. There is a 12 mile recreational trail that runs past the nest and back into town. Once I get my knee replacement, I am going to be out there biking. That's my goal, to be able to bike that whole trail.

Have a great night ladies. I'm sure glad I found you.
    Anna in the beautiful bluffs of northeast Iowa.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,971 Member
    Beth, hugs to you. I'm sorry.

Butt day at the gym, 45 minutes of cardio, then I went to Mama's to get her to put a button on a jacket that had gotten too big. The button allowed me to lap over the front of it. It's like a new jacket and fits me perfectly again. I offered to take her dress shopping to a different town, so we went shopping again. This time she bought 4 dresses and a top, all for $95 at Ross Dress for Less. Then we went to Dress Barn and paid $48 for a really nice pink jacket to wear over her $15 dress. She looks great in it. She had seen the jacket when we went shopping before, but they didn't have a dress in her size to go with it so she didn't get it. It was $60, but I found a 20% off coupon in my email on my phone.

I was supposed to go to the funeral home tonight (the 92 year old father a former co-worker), but I was too tired. I will go to the funeral tomorrow.

Just in case y'all think I can't sew on a button, I actually sewed the button on myself. I just can't do the buttonhole part. I am pretty bad with the whole sewing thing, but I can sew on a button. I actually can do more, I just don't like it. I decluttered my sewing machine a few years back when I realized I was never going to use it.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    came home and the roof wasn't finished.. kirby said he took the old route home, 1st time since the accident and he used the yellow blinking light that WASN'T there before he got hit, now it's there... i wonder why that suddenly showed up, hmmmmm.