WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: I hope your DH is feeling happier already. Your comments somehow reminded me of a college professor who talked about "you" statements v "I" statements. My DH is always making "you" statements and they tend to make me mad. I hope the two of you are back in balance now. :heart:

Lisa: I'm sending good thoughts your way regarding the jpb interviews. I hope the decision does not take until the vacationer comes back to work. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Thanks for sharing "The Guest House." It is what I need these days as my DS and DDIL prepare to move all the way across the continent. :broken_heart::heart:

Debbie: Welcome to a great group. My two best snack suggestions are coffee and tea without sugar. Snacking is how I gained a goodly number of unwanted pounds, along with eating huge meals. If you need to snack, try raw veggies. :smiley:

Carol in NC: I love the poem. Thank you. :flowerforyou:

Anne: I had an acquaintance years ago who was a professional woman who worked long hours. One day during the weekend, she cooked all of the food for her week and packaged the food into individual meals and froze them. As the week went along, she'd get a frozen meal out and heat it for her dinner each night. I wonder whether a similar strategy would work for you. When I get home and am tired after a long day, I like breakfast for dinner because it is fast and easy. I also like a hearty salad with meat or fish in it, & I like soup. :flowerforyou:

Beth: Love your morning wisdom. I'll try not to be the bug today. :laugh:

DDIL asked me to get her birthday gift to DGD out from the place where she's stored it in our home and send it along. As a military wife, she was expecting transfer and had this all done in advance. I'll do that happily. Now what will I get DGD? She is turning 5. This will be the first birthday we haven't shared with her. Great ideas are welcome, and good ideas will also be treasured. Whatever it is will need to be shipped.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Marcelynh - Wow! We thought we were being Supergrandparents when we had our two for 36 hours! :noway: Do you have any help?
    Love to all, Heather UK

Nope, all on my own. My husband will be there at night and I plan on doing a serious collapsing routine after they are all in bed.

pipcd34 wrote: »
    I intentionally did the all bold :0)

Rebel :smiley:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    <3
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Marcelynn, I would suggest EVERYONE has to take a "nap" after lunch. The little ones will sleep and the big ones can read or lie there quietly. When I did in home day care, I did that in the summer, and I took a "nap" with them. Sometimes I would actually doze off, but often it just gave me a break from the noise and chaos so I could function better in the afternoon. I called it "rest time" so the older kids wouldn't fuss. You could also put in a movie for the older kids to watch if they are not in to books, but if you do that, don't let them watch all day long so the movie is special and they actually watch it quietly. So often kids have TV noise all day long, and they then don't sit quietly and watch it.

MissPen. I have 16 rescue kitties. I work with my local shelter and take special needs kitties, plus some are strays that just showed up and stayed. They are all neutered/spayed, vaccinated, and get routine and emergency health care, so I am not a "hoarder". I just have a hard time saying NO to a cat that needs a home. I do find homes for some of the ones that come, but some are too special and I could never part with them. I take the old cats that need medicine daily- no one will adopt them. Ones that have litterbox issues (I have no rugs or carpet and have the patience to teach them better manners). Blind, deaf, amputees. It is a lot of work on a daily basis, but I get so much love back that it is well worth it!
  • miriamwithcats
    Anna Linnel, I suspect we have met each other about ten years ago.
  • fanncy0626
    10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

GobletSquat- 3X7X25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 25X10X25, 17X15X25 = 505

Day 10 Challenge Total- 4,030

Since we had to go out of town I brought my kettle bell and did a broken set of 505 swings. I wanted to eat breakfast with my husband so I did the first set at 5:30 AM. Then after he left for his meeting I did the last set. I wanted to make sure that I initiated fat burning mode prior to eating.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    So all of you who are single and cook for themselves only no kids at home etc what do you make. I need stuff that is not to difficult to make. Dinner time has been the worst for me. If it is not easy I just don't eat.

Anne from Wisconsin

I'm celiac *and* allergic to beans, so I eat modified paleo; I don't want to weigh you down with me-specific recipes. :) but in general, I make giant pots of soup to freeze, crock pot roasts that I usually eat one meal a day for several days, casseroles that I divide up and freeze, and lots and lots of salads. Of course, I don't have unlimited freezer space, but I have discovered that if I make it delicious, I don't mind eating it a few days in a row; I just make the next one completely different. :)

Oh, and what Chris said about the boiled eggs. Super handy!

I recommend having a "fallback routine" as well; if I'm out of time, out of energy, *and* out of prepared food, I tend to nom a romaine heart while cooking baked eggs, and call it good. It's not the most complete nutrition, but it's not that bad, either, and it fills me right up.

Larisa in Seattle

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,971 Member
    Thanks to all who posted inspirational poems, pics, etc, both serious and funny. Loved them all.

I thought I'd post a two-month progress pic. I can tell a little difference, but those arms....sigh! Maybe one day.

802wj19fjqln.jpeg
  • miriamwithcats
    Dr. Katie, I can definitely see the difference- much better muscle tone!

Larissa, I have celiac too. I tend to eat my meals in pieces. I will make a bag of microwave veggies for one meal, then eat just meat the next. Since I am cooking for just myself, if just doesn't make sense to make everything for every meal.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Anne - I also do the batch cooking thing on the weekend and freeze individual portions. Right now I have a few different kinds of soup, chili, meatloaf, grilled hamburgers, browned and measured ground beef, and lasagna (and maybe more) in my freezer. I, too, am a big fan of breakfast for dinner--either eggs or cereal--especially if it has been a particularly late or trying day. I keep canned and frozen veggies on hand so that I don't always have to prepare something that needs prep time and longer cooking time. Of course, I also keep quick cooking raw veggies--baby carrots, asparagus, and others in season. And, I eat raw veggies (that are not salads) as an "appetizer" if they don't 'go with' my meal. I pack breakfast, snacks, and lunch every day so I do prior prep a LOT! Hope this helps...

Larissa - My son also has Celiac. It can be a tough diet to follow although he does exceptionally well. Would you mind sharing what kind of allergy to beans that you have? I have a friend who will go into anaphylactic (sp?) shock if he eats any kind of mature bean.

John O'Donahue has written at least one book that is a book of blessings. I love them and wish I could write/think like that.

Carol in NC
  • fanncy0626
    Drkatiebug - you look great! Don't worry about your arms, strength training will take care of that! It has really made a difference on my arms.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • MightyLolo
    nccarolb wrote: »

Larissa - My son also has Celiac. It can be a tough diet to follow although he does exceptionally well. Would you mind sharing what kind of allergy to beans that you have? I have a friend who will go into anaphylactic (sp?) shock if he eats any kind of mature bean.
    I'm "lucky" in that none of my allergies "use the pathway" (as my GP says) that results in anaphylactic shock, although she prescribes me an epi-pen in case that changes. I get massive joint and gut inflammation from beans in the Phaseolus genus (read: most beans!), not that different from what I get with wheat. and the flu (minus the asthma).

Larisa in Seattle
  • MightyLolo
    edited March 2016
    Dr. Katie, I can definitely see the difference- much better muscle tone!

Yeah, look at those shoulders! Way to go, Dr. Katie!

Larissa, I have celiac too. I tend to eat my meals in pieces. I will make a bag of microwave veggies for one meal, then eat just meat the next. Since I am cooking for just myself, if just doesn't make sense to make everything for every meal.

Yeah, I switch off like that, myself...usually when I don't have time to cook complete meals. A serving of the pot roast for lunch, a big salad for supper..
    I have a large pan of Moussaka right now, though--not strictly the Americanized-Greek version most people know... I learned from a Croatian-Turkish friend, that Moussaka is basically "Balkan Hot Dish"; you can put nearly anything you want in it... they don't use bechamel sauce. either...they use strained yogurt with an egg beaten in. This one has zucchini and spaghetti squash in it...I'm going to eat it for the next week :smiley:

Larisa in Seattle
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,993 Member
    11,000 steps all for not, as I have just sabetaged myself with junk... Oh well, will try and wash it out with alot of water... and back at it,to the gym and no more yucky stuff... Katie I can see the difference...
  • MightyLolo
    11,000 steps all for not, as I have just sabetaged myself with junk... Oh well, will try and wash it out with alot of water... and back at it,to the gym and no more yucky stuff... Katie I can see the difference...

Nooo don't think of it that way :)
    Imagine if you had eaten junk and *not* had the 11,000 steps...this is better, at least.
    Prevail! :wink:

Larisa in Seattle
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    drkatiebug, that is a great deal of progress, woohooo, keep agoin' you are looking summer ready!

Lots of good prep tips for eating and working. I do have one tip for getting home from work, dont let yourself get too hungry. Before i get home to deal with dinner, i have me some protein, nuts raisins, hard boil egg--somehow it fuels me enough so i make better dinner choices and dont nibble through calories during dinner prep.

Karen from ny
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Drkatiebug looks like a,big difference to me. Great job.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,971 Member
    Thanks for the compliments. I showed the picture to D(not dear at the moment)H, and he said, "yeah, I can tell a big difference." (Pause while he waits for me to look happy.) "You're smiling in the second picture."

Tell me again why I stay married to this man for 41 years?

Oh, yeah, it's because he does my laundry!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,847 Member
    Hopping on MFP midday!

Pip- LOL! You are a sarcastic snot; but we love you! "don't snack"! You go with the extra calorie burn! I am looking forward to the time change, too, as it will mean more time to enjoy the daylight without small children in tow! Woo-hoo!

Anne- If I remember correctly you mentioned you are kind of a picky eater? I can't say enough about soups! With a basic broth to start, you can add whatever veggies, starches, meats, herbs suit your taste! Plus, they fridge and freeze really well! I always make at least two soups each week. Another thing is prep up your veggies, fruits after you shop. I spend a couple hours on the weekend washing and slicing/prepping veg and cooking a couple meals for later in the week. You can cook up a few lasagna noodles and roll different fillings in and freeze those. I also cook up about a pound of chicken and dice it or shred it to add to sandwiches and salads. Just some ideas! You got this!

Katie- Looking great! I can see the "inches" lost and the toning! You look great in that bright coral!

Larissa
    -Eggs! Eggs are my fallback! I use mainly whites, but I save the yolks to use in other dishes when I am allowed the extra fat!

New girls-welcome!

Marcelyn- Woo-hoo! Sounds like a fun week for you with the grands! Good ages, too! I am sure you got this handled, there are a lot of ideas online for things to do for free or for fun.

Beth- Today I am the windshield. I guess that is a good thing, at least better than the bug? Or...maybe I am the slipstream?

Just finished off the last bowl of white bean and winter veg soup. I have a pot of Curried Butternut Pear Soup on the stove! This is my favorite...well, maybe not FAVORITE...because I have a few favorite soups. Hard to pick one. But this one is way up on the list! Recipe is on Allrecipes.com. It has become a Thanksgiving staple at my house. Chorizo and lentil soup will be starting the week on Monday. I think I am going to make a couple crustless quiches for easy meals next week, too! Maybe I can talk my son into grilling a couple nights and that would take care of the dinners for next week! That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,600 Member
    edited March 2016
    DrKatie - My DH does the washing up! And the trash (recycling, bottles, garden etc) And the coffee. And all the fruit (fresh, grown and stewed) Cleans the kitchen (but not the stove top grrrr) How could I ditch him? :laugh: I do the cooking and the laundry. :noway:
    You are looking really good. Great middle area! I can understand the frustration with the arms - mine are still bigger than me, if you know what I mean.
    Heather UK