Replies

• iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Honey Wheat. Nom nom nom.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Usually whole wheat/whole grain... but as for brand... pretty much whatever is on sale, because !!!!!!Have you seen the price of bread!!!!!!!
    Also, sometimes I make my own, but that's hard.

Awww, don't give up! Bread baking is a bit like science. You need to weigh all your ingredients on a food scale, but other than that, there's nothing too difficult about it. Especially if you do all the mixing in a stand mixer. Keep at it :D

I've never weighed the ingredients for making bread, or any recipe for that matter. The bread has always turned out just fine. Too fine really. I buy bread because I'd eat way too much bread if I made it myself.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Usually whole wheat/whole grain... but as for brand... pretty much whatever is on sale, because !!!!!!Have you seen the price of bread!!!!!!!

Awww, don't give up! Bread baking is a bit like science. You need to weigh all your ingredients on a food scale, but other than that, there's nothing too difficult about it. Especially if you do all the mixing in a stand mixer. Keep at it :D

I've never weighed the ingredients for making bread, or any recipe for that matter. The bread has always turned out just fine. Too fine really. I buy bread because I'd eat way too much bread if I made it myself.

With certain doughs you have to measure due to different hydration levels. For example, the focaccia and ciabatta recipes in the book are very wet. They're supposed resemble melted mozzarella initially. But, they are meant to be that way. Stuff like pizza dough and regular sandwich bread are more forgiving. The recipes in the books have cup measurements, gram measurements and oz measurements.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Great thank you everyone for your input. I am making lifestyle changes along with doing MFP to hold myself accountable....i know most bread has a crap ton of GMO and other crud so i will eventually give it up. But not yet. No not yet. Lol i do realize i sounded like Oprah BZAH10 hahahaha oh well. Tried to be funny and failed.

giphy.gif?w=658&h=361[img][/img]
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Freshly baked Semolina Bread
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Oprah, is that you? Just kidding. I don't eat bread anymore but when I did sourdough was my fav. Hearty, dark rye bread also. And with butter. Always with butter.

THIS WAS MY EXACT THOUGHT!

I found some onion poppy seed ciabatta that I really enjoy. I also love rye toast. Buy what you enjoy that fits in your calorie goal.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The Cub brand (MN and IL grocery store) whole wheat. Want to take a stab at making my own though!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's better. Nice bread, or nice bread with good cheese or butter...
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm a big bread person, so I attempt to get low calorie bread as much as I can. I do the 100 Cal Sandwich thins, or the 60 calorie Tumaros wraps. If I'm doing toast for breakfast, I prefer Ezekiel bread.

I just hate eating 2 pieces of bread that are 180 calories for a small sandwich. I feel like that's just a waste of calories, when the low carb bread is just as easy and tastes fine.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Naan.

There's nothing wrong with bread of any kind unless you have a medical issue with it (gluten allergy, IBS, etc.).
    Mmmmm love Naan, also pumpernickel freshly baked.

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

That sounds delicious! I am making focaccia right now and I started a sourdough starter made with rye. If he likes to make bread, have him check out The Bread Bible. It's an amazing book with tons of different recipes, from boules to crumpets, to rye, to New Zealand bread and everything in between.

The bread was delicious! It didn't even last three days... I'll check out The Bread Bible. Thank you!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Check out no-knead bread. It doesn't get any easier than that.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My own artisan bread. Super easy to make and usually works out to about 214 Calories per 100g but it is soooooo good!