Squats-flat or raised heels?

Options
Merkavar
Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
i don't normally wonder over to this side of mfp, hey how's it going? *smiles awkwardly*

So what are the oppinions on doing squats in regards to raised or flat heels.

Seems raised heals shifts the focus to the knees and allows for more depth in the squats.

While flat feet shift the focus to the bum area and at least for me prevents going lower than parallel.

Which sort of squat do you recommend if you want to improve running and kicking and jumping?

If I can barely get to parralel with flat feet should I work on ankle flexibility? Any siggestions?

Replies

• KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to work on flexibility. Doing squats w raised heels is a bad idea, as a big component of squat technique is keeping your weight in your heels. Otherwise you're putting too much strain on your knees.
    There's not much point in doing an exercise with improper form, as it won't work the muscles you want to work & it could eventually lead to serious injury.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have the natural flexibility of a big rig tire, and while I still work on that I wear Adidas Adipowers. Ignore the B.S. about raised heels causing knee problems. The shoes are designed that way for a reason. It works for me and plenty of others. If it works for you, go with it.

Edit: typo
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Flat, ideally don't use running shoes. Use a flat shoe
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    No one's flexibility is natural. They get it by repeatedly moving through a greater range of motion. Don't like your flexibility range? Practice pressing on the edges of it (i.e. stretching, yoga, etc.) On a regular basis. It will change.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »

I'm not talking raised using shoes I'm talking raised as in heels on a platform or on weights.

Let me see if I can find an image.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Using plates under your heels is helpful if you lack ankle flexibility and have a tendency to fall forward or go on your toes when squatting. You should work on your flexibility though so you don't have to use them forever.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    jpaulie wrote: »

I'm not talking raised using shoes I'm talking raised as in heels on a platform or on weights.

Let me see if I can find an image.

That puts more emphasis on the quads. If it allows you to move more naturally then go with it. As your quads increase in strength though make sure you are balancing it with hamstrings work such as Romanian deads. If you don't naturally go below parallel though don't make too much of it. Hit parallel and call it a day. Bret Contreras has some good discussions of this and if I remember right he tends to squat just slightly above parallel. If you're not a power lifter and are only going for strength increases then it's not an issue.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    This is what I mean by raised heels, just so we're clear, since people are talking about shoes.

agb0sys3je1f.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Using plates under your heels is helpful if you lack ankle flexibility and have a tendency to fall forward or go on your toes when squatting. You should work on your flexibility though so you don't have to use them forever.

This.

Yoga!
  • Merkavar
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »
    No one's flexibility is natural. They get it by repeatedly moving through a greater range of motion. Don't like your flexibility range? Practice pressing on the edges of it (i.e. stretching, yoga, etc.) On a regular basis. It will change.

any recommendations on ankle flexibility?

Maybe standing on a stair and lower and raise yourself?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

You have no idea what those of us who are naturally inflexible deal with. My kids are the same way. I took martial arts for years, even as a juvenile, was put on stretching machines for quite some time, and my flexibility never substantially improved. I heard this crap from yoga enthusiasts regularly over the years. Even running I never suffered any injuries from it though. People work with what they have and if you can improve flexibility do it, but don't think that it's that big of a deal. And, do not stretch before lifting.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

You have no idea what those of us who are naturally inflexible deal with. My kids are the same way. I took martial arts for years, even as a juvenile, was put on stretching machines for quite some time, and my flexibility never substantially improved. I heard this crap from yoga enthusiasts regularly over the years. Even running I never suffered any injuries from it though. People work with what they have and if you can improve flexibility do it, but don't think that it's that big of a deal. And, do not stretch before lifting.

I agree as I am not flexible and lack mobility in my t spine and shoulders but in lifting if you lack mobility your form suffers and you can get injured. I don't recommend doing crazy things but doing some mobility exercises helps a lot.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yep - terrible ankle flex in both directions. Took months just to dorsiflex enough to not go backwards when kicking in the pool. That said I'm trying not to use the weights under the ankles very often either.

Oddly enough this same lack of flexibility in the ankles tends to make for better running.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use lifting shoes with raised heels for front and regular squats and go barefoot for goblet and zecher squats.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Improve running, jumping and kicking - Start with bodyweight and box jumps, lunges.
    Ankle flexibility - get a theraband and do rotations with ankle. Calf raise with no shoes
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I squat bare foot pushing through my midfoot.

I've squatted on awith heels on a piece of wood 2"x4" over 30 years ago.

My mobility is an issue because of swollen joints 24/7 and my hip dislocates at times, but yoga has helped me a lot in a short time.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i squat flat, in chucks.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i squat flat, in chucks.

Same. I'm newer to lifting but have pretty good flexibilty from years of yoga. Maybe google yoga poses for ankle mobilty?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i squat flat, in chucks.

Me too sister! ;)