diet pills yes or no?

Options

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Waste of money.

They aren't regulated by the FDA, so there's no guarantee that you are really taking what they say are in the pills.

Every diet pill I've ever seen says something about "when included as part of a healthy diet and exercise program." Meaning: the pills do nothing, the diet and exercise do all the work.

The diet pill industry is a huge industry... for their pocketbooks. People are looking for a quick fix and willing to shell out money for it. The companies in the industry make bank on this desire.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Abbie918 wrote: »
    No. No no no.

Even if they DID work (which they don't), do you want to be dependent on pills for your health? Eat less and move more, and you will get to your goal weight without any hinky side effects. I'd personally rather have a slower weight loss progress than poo my pants at work because of diet pills!

And I think we can all agree with this.

No. Just no. Never, ever, ever, ever.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Adding my NO as well! NO no no no way.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    NO there is no magic pill just making up your mind and sticking to it.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Just because "Dr. oz" said it works, doesn't mean it does.

I'm in for a "no".

Keep drinking the water that you would have taken with the pill though :P
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    One more in for a big fat NO.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Over the counter "diet" pills are worthless garbage. They're a hole you throw money down and they do nothing. There USED TO BE supplements that really worked, they were "stackers" which used ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin. They were extremely effective. They are no longer available in the U.S. (you can get them in Canada from what I understand).

Prescription diet drugs do work. There are potential side effects that may or may not be worth it for you and you usually have to physically go in for a doctor's visit once per month to get a refill (they will not give you 90 days of it, nor will they refill it without seeing you). I cannot say "don't do it," because for me these prescribed drugs have worked on the short-term. I'd consider using it as a 90 day boost to get STARTED with weight loss, but the effects of the drugs diminish and you need to get off of them and focus on just diet. What the drugs do is help you to have no feeling of hunger. I would go until noon, before which I would usually it 1-2 snacks, and at noon I would forget to eat lunch! I actually felt good, not bad, except that I would be more easily angered or frustrated, which is a side effect of the drug. I was using Phentermine, which is a very common generic. Insurance will not cover it. It will cost you about $40 a bottle (one bottle per month).
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Here's the bottom line and if someone else in the list already said this, my apologies for repeating it:

Diet pills = speed weight loss.
    Speed weight loss = temporary effect.
    Temporary effect = Yo-yo response.
    Yo-yo response = significant weight gain after stopping the use of the pills.

Weight loss is boring and simple, once you understand it (speaking as someone who just recently had his AH-HA! moment):

Calories In < Calories Out = Weight Loss.
    Calories In > Calories Out = Weight Gain.
    Calories In = Calories Out = Maintained Weight.

Now the only hard part to this equation is utilizing the *right* calories to improve overall health. And that is a subject that is so hotly debated you could write 10,000 self-help books about it...in fact, I believe they have. But in general, the best idea I've heard is:

1) Protein (Think about it first and avoid foods that don't have much or any)
    2) Sodium (Keep it low)
    3) Fat (Enjoy some)
    4) Carbs (Keep it low)
    5) Eat your fruits and veggies like mom and dad said. (Or take a multivitamin/nutrient/fiber supplements galore, your choice)

Hope this helps.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    How is garcinia cambogia helping, considering it doesn't do anything?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Diet pills = illusion...if it "works" and you're losing weight then congrats...you are consuming less energy than you're expending...that is all...it has nothing to do with your "magic" pill.

Ms6j0zn.gif

Here's a little info...I'm not going to bother putting a ton of time and energy into this because diet pills have time and time again been proven to be snake oil nonsense...but here ya go...

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/garcinia-cambogia-weight-loss
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    kalie8789 wrote: »
    What's some peoples out look on diet pills I'm taking garcinia cambogia and so far it's helping. I was also told about dexatrim max

I took the same thing for about three days about a month ago and when I was ravenous by mid-morning, I stopped taking them, returned them, and resigned myself to getting back in shape the old-fashioned way -- eat less, move more.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!
  • irishlad91
    irishlad91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, major fad.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It's snake oil. smh.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Garcinina cambogia is very expensive vitamin C.
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have some of those. I bought a cheap bottle at Walmart. It seemed to help with my appetite a bit and gave me a little energy. I have tried Plexus as well, and I havent had any diet pill or supplement that worked as well as Plexus. However, its too expensive!
  • summermalenehubbard
    Options
    NO! I took Adipex and was under Dr supervision for monthly check ups. I did lose weight. 60 pounds in 6 months. I exercised 5 days a week and used MFP. Maybe the pills helped.. maybe it was just my dedication?? I had sever side effects - 2 seizures and my blood pressure went thru the roof.
  • Praizes2him
    Praizes2him Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Waste of money.

They aren't regulated by the FDA, so there's no guarantee that you are really taking what they say are in the pills.

Every diet pill I've ever seen says something about "when included as part of a healthy diet and exercise program." Meaning: the pills do nothing, the diet and exercise do all the work.

The diet pill industry is a huge industry... for their pocketbooks. People are looking for a quick fix and willing to shell out money for it. The companies in the industry make bank on this desire.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options