Random Thought For the Day

Options

Replies

• honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,513 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Posing a question.....it's official, I'm flying out of Boston to visit my dd in Seattle the end of May. I've never been further west than N.Y. and it may be the only trip I make, IDK, out there. :/
    Suggestions of top things to see/do?
    I really want to visit a coastal area but everything she's told me sounds like it's quite a road trip. But I read Port Townsend is only 60 miles away. So....here I am, asking you all.

Thanks!!!

I’m excited for you!
    I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice,
    I’ve never been to the west coast.
    I’m sure it’s beautiful up there.
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Posing a question.....it's official, I'm flying out of Boston to visit my dd in Seattle the end of May. I've never been further west than N.Y. and it may be the only trip I make, IDK, out there. :/
    I really want to visit a coastal area but everything she's told me sounds like it's quite a road trip. But I read Port Townsend is only 60 miles away. So....here I am, asking you all.

Thanks!!!

@ReenieHJ - Sounds fun and exciting! I’m not sure of the top things to see in Washington, but several years back my parents went on a whale watching tour in a zodiac boat located out of the puget sound area. They loved it! They said it was an experience they would always remember. Depends on how you feel about inflatable boats and the ocean I guess. A coastal drive is definitely worth the travel if you can swing it. 🙂
  • Sharsou
    Sharsou Posts: 8,844 Member
    Options
    We connect with people on MFP, either they send FR or we do.. some of them will never care to reach out to you, motivate you by writing a comment or liking ur workout or food diary, etc. they sit in the Friend’s list like a corpse. What do you do with those ppl? Remove them? Remind them that we need to motivate each other (basic reason for MFP to exist)? Or just let them be there and wait that someday they will reciprocate for the motivation ur giving them to achieve their goals? Any thoughts?
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    Sharsou wrote: »
    We connect with people on MFP, either they send FR or we do.. some of them will never care to reach out to you, motivate you by writing a comment or liking ur workout or food diary, etc. they sit in the Friend’s list like a corpse. What do you do with those ppl? Remove them? Remind them that we need to motivate each other (basic reason for MFP to exist)? Or just let them be there and wait that someday they will reciprocate for the motivation ur giving them to achieve their goals? Any thoughts?

I always feel so bad when I delete people but I do if they never like, comment or interact.
    I do respond to my friends so I can’t have too many or I’d never keep up.
    😊
  • JsaddlerB2706
    JsaddlerB2706 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cold and snowing in my wee bit of scotland tonite and fancy a wee drink
  • Cat0703a
    Cat0703a Posts: 17,421 Member
    Options
    @ReenieHJ, the traditional tourist spots that I enjoyed were the Pike Place Market, the Ferris wheel over the water, and the bubble gum wall (all within walking distance of one another). The space needle I did when I was young; didn’t get there last time. I’m sure others that live in the area can give you advice. Oh yeah and wave at me across the ocean!! 👋
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    nfrta2jy4onf.jpeg
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    yg4ycvieow7k.jpeg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    :D
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    u9rova3fjqum.jpeg

The way it should be imo.
    A sight most don’t see anymore.
    Reading the box, not a phone or pad.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Cows, pigs, chicken and a couple fish, that’s it for me.
    At 61, I’ve tried quite a few kinds of meat in my life.
    No to venison, no to lamb, no to crustaceans, mollusks, most fish, no to buffalo, no to rattlesnake, no to octopus.
    Don’t tell me alligator tastes like chicken coz it doesn’t.
    😂

Wow. For a person that has travelled and possibly eaten an alpaca, you sure have some strict "no's" on your list, and you are missing out on a lot of good food. I could live without buffalo myself, but the rest of your list is all well worth trying.

And at the end of the day, you like it, or you don't. I've eaten reindeer in Norway, squid ink seafood paella in Portugal, some unknown mystery meats in several places, and often went to the off the beaten trail reaches in Mexico when NOTHING was close to sanitary.

Having lived near an ocean most of my life, I can't imagine life without crustaceans or mollusks. Those two alone have so many delicious foods it's hard to describe. If you ever visit an area with good fresh well prepared seafood you might find out what you've been missing all of your life. I'm not kidding.

Thanks!!!

I've never been that far north on the west coast, but if it's anything like a couple hundred miles below it should have some amazing views along the coast. If you can wave down @NorthCascades he must be fairly close to that area. I'm not sure he does anything in particular that's not outdoor related, but he might at least have some ideas.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the Seattle ideas, everyone. :) Dd mentioned a few of those as well. She also said we're going on a gondola ride, with great views of Mt. Rainier. They're safe, right? :s
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Cows, pigs, chicken and a couple fish, that’s it for me.
    At 61, I’ve tried quite a few kinds of meat in my life.
    No to venison, no to lamb, no to crustaceans, mollusks, most fish, no to buffalo, no to rattlesnake, no to octopus.
    Don’t tell me alligator tastes like chicken coz it doesn’t.
    😂

Wow. For a person that has travelled and possibly eaten an alpaca, you sure have some strict "no's" on your list, and you are missing out on a lot of good food. I could live without buffalo myself, but the rest of your list is all well worth trying.

And at the end of the day, you like it, or you don't. I've eaten reindeer in Norway, squid ink seafood paella in Portugal, some unknown mystery meats in several places, and often went to the off the beaten trail reaches in Mexico when NOTHING was close to sanitary.

Having lived near an ocean most of my life, I can't imagine life without crustaceans or mollusks. Those two alone have so many delicious foods it's hard to describe. If you ever visit an area with good fresh well prepared seafood you might find out what you've been missing all of your life. I'm not kidding.

I said no to those things,
    never said I haven’t tried them.
    Why would I not like something I’ve never tried? 😊

I’ve traveled/lived in some other countries and tried some weird looking stuff, lol. 😳

You’re fortunate that you enjoy so many foods.
    I wish I did but I don’t. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 😊

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the Seattle ideas, everyone. :) Dd mentioned a few of those as well. She also said we're going on a gondola ride, with great views of Mt. Rainier. They're safe, right? :s

Well MOST of the time they are safe... I think. I'd guess they are probably much safer than being in the car to get there. Most these days are fairly heavy and don't sway either, so unless you have a heights thing it should be a breeze. I've been on a few and the views are usually well worth the trip.

I said no to those things,
    never said I haven’t tried them.
    Why would I not like something I’ve never tried? 😊

I’ve traveled/lived in some other countries and tried some weird looking stuff, lol. 😳

You’re fortunate that you enjoy so many foods.
    I wish I did but I don’t. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 😊

My bad. I assumed you had a phobia to certain types of foods, and I've met quite a few that do. They just won't even try certain things.

Which brings me to my random thought. At what point does our brain decide what is a reasoned concern and what is a phobia, or for that matter what is tasty and what isn't? I think both @ReenieHJ and @honey_honey_12 have reasoned responses. One is a simple question on safety and one is a subjective thing of taste preferences. But there are people that can take either of those types of things simple to most of us to an extreme phobia. What triggers such an emotional response in some people?
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    fis8ipeh13wk.jpg
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    0a72ww7fp0j7.jpeg
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    a6q7nxpq0abw.jpeg