Being short sucks for dieting

Options
Hi there I'm only 5'3 / 1.5m - and even after I reach my goal I'd still be 10kg within the healthy weight for my height - I can't even imagine eating any less that I am right now, I can't believe anyone my height can be skinny!!

I really envy tall people who can seem to eat so much more. I realise I could do a lot more exercise but that's something I'm working on.

Replies

• emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi I feel your pain , I'm even shorter than you 5ft but might be a bit less.
    It does suck that we cant eat as much and every pound shows, but stick to your deficit and weight will come off.
    The only excersise I get is walking and I eat back those cals if I need to.
    Truth tall people can eat more but if they eat too much they get fat too, and just because you can carry it well for a while , obese is obese.

I've come to terms with I can't eat big everyday but I can make the foods I love work

Good luck with your journey x
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is not your height, there are thousands of petite people (including me) on this site who have succeeded in losing weight and are now within the normal BMI range, but accepting that you have to eat less than you are use to. This is applicable to nearly everyone on this site, not just petite women.

Sometimes it is easier to start with just .5 lbs as your goal and slowly decrease your calories to your appropriate goal especially if you have over 75lbs to lose and are aiming for 2lbs a week.

You can also just set yourself a higher calorie goal and lose a little slower if that is more satisfying for you.

As you start to increase your exercise remember that MFP is set so that you log it and eat back those calories, (your deficit is in your base calories) it is part of staying healthy as you lose. However MFP, and most cardio machines, tend to overestimate calories burnt through exercise, eating back 50-75% is usually enough.

Cheers, h.
  • suzzi_can
    suzzi_can Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like the replies above and they are probably true..
    But I so agree being short sucks...
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think your personal history with food can affect your perspective. In my case, I really wasn't eating that much more while I was putting the weight on than I need to for maintenance now, so it's not been a drastic change for me volume of food-wise (I'm the same height, and I lose on 1650, maintain at over 2000, and all I've really done while losing is increase my walking). The worst bits about being short for me is that every extra lb looks like more.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is not your height, there are thousands of petite people (including me) on this site who have succeeded in losing weight and are now within the normal BMI range, but accepting that you have to eat less than you are use to. This is applicable to nearly everyone on this site, not just petite women.

Sometimes it is easier to start with just .5 lbs as your goal and slowly decrease your calories to your appropriate goal especially if you have over 75lbs to lose and are aiming for 2lbs a week.

You can also just set yourself a higher calorie goal and lose a little slower if that is more satisfying for you.

As you start to increase your exercise remember that MFP is set so that you log it and eat back those calories, (your deficit is in your base calories) it is part of staying healthy as you lose. However MFP, and most cardio machines, tend to overestimate calories burnt through exercise, eating back 50-75% is usually enough.

Cheers, h.

This 100%

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

This 100%

+1
    Us shorties don't need as many calories. Our needs will be less than someone much taller.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    How I've dealt with it is having patience and being okay with losing weight very slowly, and exercising a lot so I can eat more :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Hi there I'm only 5'3 / 1.5m - and even after I reach my goal I'd still be 10kg within the healthy weight for my height - I can't even imagine eating any less that I am right now, I can't believe anyone my height can be skinny!!

I really envy tall people who can seem to eat so much more. I realise I could do a lot more exercise but that's something I'm working on.

That doesn't even make any sense. We shorties can't eat very large amounts of food without getting fat, but we get full on smaller amounts. Tall people eat more because they need more.

5'3 is more like 1.60.
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I too am 5'3 but I think the only thing that bugs me is I look bigger than a taller person who weighs the same lol.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I too am 5'3 but I think the only thing that bugs me is I look bigger than a taller person who weighs the same lol.

But you do have a higher BMI than a taller person who weighs the same as you :confused:
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    For me (5 ft 4) the problems start when I try to eat as much as my 6 ft tall partner, haha! Now that has been a recipe for disaster xD
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    For me (5 ft 4) the problems start when I try to eat as much as my 6 ft tall partner, haha! Now that has been a recipe for disaster xD

Truth! I followed a similar recipe for ten years and 60lbs before I woke up to it...
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yeah we don't need as many calories I get that but eating is pleasurable so it's fun to do it, do I need to explain that?
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

That doesn't even make any sense. We shorties can't eat very large amounts of food without getting fat, but we get full on smaller amounts. Tall people eat more because they need more.

Tell that to my stomach! Height has nothing to do with how quickly you get full. Which is why there are obese short people.

I agree with the original sentiment it sucks being short. I need more calories! lol

I'm assuming my stomach will get used to having less in it and shrink appropriately. Please let this be soon!

• kommodevaran
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »

Tell that to my stomach! Height has nothing to do with how quickly you get full. Which is why there are obese short people.

I agree with the original sentiment it sucks being short. I need more calories! lol

I'm assuming my stomach will get used to having less in it and shrink appropriately. Please let this be soon!

I agree that height has nothing to do with how quickly you feel full. That's why there are obese tall people too. It has a lot to do with habits and attitude. What you perceive as a need isn't necessarily a need, it could be a want.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2" and been maintaining my weight loss for 3+ years, its doable at any height and not easy for anyone, it takes being consistent /accurate with counting calories, patience and exercise helps too.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Yeah we don't need as many calories I get that but eating is pleasurable so it's fun to do it, do I need to explain that?

You could try to reframe. You can get the exact same pleasure from smaller amounts, if you set your mind to it.

Or you can keep on complaining and feeling sorry for yourself, that's always an option. I don't care what you choose :)
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard at any height. I feel like a lot of posts in this thread insinuate that it's so much easier to maintain a healthy weight when you're tall, but as a taller person I don't feel that way at all. I'm glad I can eat more but like others said, whether or not eating is also a pleasurable experience, our bodies require and feel fuller or fewer or higher calories based on height, weight, sex, etc.

There are positives and negatives of any height, and you've presumably been that height for your entire adult life. It does not seem like a valid thing to blame for weight struggles.
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey, you know what, I think we all know why we are here and accept that we have to change our lifestyle to get to where we want to be. However on days like today where I feel like I'm starving, its ok to have a bit of a moan. Particularly if having a bit of a moan stops me from saying *kitten* it and eating the contents of the fridge.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would look at it from another perspective: I'm 5'3", if I lose 5 lbs it makes a big difference in my appearance. One of my siblings is 5'9" he needs to tell people he lost 5 lbs because nobody notices it...