Being short sucks for dieting

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    People a few inches taller are still shorter than lots of people, so for example at 5"7" I can't eat as much as my husband or taller women. I can't eat as much at 170 as I could at 300. At age 60 I can't eat as much as women in their 20s & 30s. The point is....
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    We all have these days! It can be a huge bummer for some twit to spout off about our whining. Tends to make me violent, not lift me up... Motivation and support is needed here. I'm 5'3" also, and have my "moans" frequently. I don't eat the same meals my children do. My husband likes to bring home caramel rolls and I just want to smother him while he is sleeping! 6ft 8 and doesn't even look like he's over 300 lbs!! For me to lose 10 lbs is a monthly goal that I struggle with daily. So... Here's a few idea. First off, get a water app! When I haven't drank all my daily fluids, I get HANGRY. While my belly is full of water, I have less issues with eating. Also, make sure you enjoy the most of your calories! Eat what you like, and then make sure you are accurately doing it. Finally, make sure you exercise. That has been the biggest change for me. Work on your problem areas specifically if you want them to go away. And find friends to support you. We all have days we want to eat a bunch of crap. When I'm mopey, it's even worse. Find something constructive to do instead. Like a workout video. Best of luck to you on your journey.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    5'2 1/2". Age 64. I simply do not need as many calories as taller, younger people.
    It's just the way it is. I have lost over 1/2 of my current body weight (done under my Doctor & a dietician supervision). I am maintaining @ 1600 calories. If I go over that, I begin to gain. I lost @ between 1000-1100 calories and if you let the folks here know that, you get persecuted for eating too little. Everyone is at least a little bit different. and most of this is general guidelines, so it is pretty important to find what works for each of us. The alternative for me was being morbidly obese. When it comes between being able to eat more or be a normal weight, it is no contest.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love being short. I am 53 and 4'11". I lost 50 lbs since Sept 2015 and have been maintaining since. I love everything about being short. Once I figured out how much to eat, my body adjusted; and I feel great. I indulge on weekends and eat a little less during the work week.
  • _hangrygirl
    _hangrygirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I'm 4'10, desk job. I'm losing at 1,500 calories, but only because I'm a big girl. It's a slow process.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 110 pounds. For me it's all about activity; I'm very fortunate to have my health. If I did nothing at all, I could only lose weight eating 1200 to 1400 calories per day. Because of my activity level, I lose weight eating 1700 to 2200 calories per day. I really feel for short people who do not have the capability to exercise or have limited mobility and therefore have severely limited calories. My sister is 5'7" and has Multiple Sclerosis. Because she has limited mobility she only has three choices: go hungry, lose at a much slower pace, or stay her current weight. It sucks.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    We all have these days! It can be a huge bummer for some twit to spout off about our whining. Tends to make me violent, not lift me up... Motivation and support is needed here. I'm 5'3" also, and have my "moans" frequently. I don't eat the same meals my children do. My husband likes to bring home caramel rolls and I just want to smother him while he is sleeping! 6ft 8 and doesn't even look like he's over 300 lbs!! For me to lose 10 lbs is a monthly goal that I struggle with daily. So... Here's a few idea. First off, get a water app! When I haven't drank all my daily fluids, I get HANGRY. While my belly is full of water, I have less issues with eating. Also, make sure you enjoy the most of your calories! Eat what you like, and then make sure you are accurately doing it. Finally, make sure you exercise. That has been the biggest change for me. Work on your problem areas specifically if you want them to go away. And find friends to support you. We all have days we want to eat a bunch of crap. When I'm mopey, it's even worse. Find something constructive to do instead. Like a workout video. Best of luck to you on your journey.

Yep, just keep working at it..
    Coming on here and finding others struggling with the same problem IS support. I'm with you.. let me bloody vent with others and if you don't have that problem, go be merry somewhere else.. I'm in a hangry mood and just want support from others that can relate lol

I don't care that my current problem isn't a huge earth shattering one.. it's what I'm dealing with RIGHT NOW LOL

I find water is an issue for me. I have the worlds smallest bladder. I pee constantly and once I bring up my water intake, I feel like I'm stuck in the bathroom all day. Working out with a full bladder isn't comfortable. I don't drink my calories, I can't! So I have one coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day, but I can only drink so much and nothing after 2pm or I wont make it home from the office at 3:30 .. oh the struggle is real :D

• FitGirl_Running
    FitGirl_Running Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Being short has its advantages. At 5'1" tall I only need to lose 5 pounds to go down a size.
  • KittiesGoMew
    KittiesGoMew Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to bring home caramel rolls and I just want to smother him while he is sleeping!

Oh God, thanks for the good laugh! :D

• KittiesGoMew
    KittiesGoMew Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »
    Hey, you know what, I think we all know why we are here and accept that we have to change our lifestyle to get to where we want to be. However on days like today where I feel like I'm starving, its ok to have a bit of a moan. Particularly if having a bit of a moan stops me from saying *kitten* it and eating the contents of the fridge.

lol eating the contents of the fridge. I found that pretty funny for some reason. But really, you're right. If having that little bit of a moan keeps you from it then by all means, do it :D

Thank you.

It doesn't help that I am so bored at work there is nothing to take my mind off how hungry I am.

Yeah I can totally understand that :\ What's your daily calorie goal at if you don't mind me asking?

• LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" and trying to drop about 20 pounds. I agree it can be difficult to lose weight as a short person, but for a different reason than you.

I have bigger problems with the social/peer/cultural pressure to eat or "indulge". Sure, my 5'10" coworker can easily fit a donut (or two!) into her daily calorie allotment without having to move things around too much or restrict later in the day. I, on the other hand, have to really evaluate whether having 1/2 a donut is worth the 100 calories when I haven't had dinner yet.

I find those around me saying, "Just have a bite!", "What's the worst that can happen?", "You should treat yourself!", etc. Just earlier this week, a coworker was trying to convince me to have another serving of a treat that I JUST ATE (and which I planned for). When they asked me why not, and I said I was trying to avoid weight gain, they said, "Just go for a walk!" Yeah. I then had to get into an argument with them about how it takes me additional time and effort to burn 250 calories than it would for them.

So, I feel you. It does suck sometimes, and it's hard when you have to watch your friends/coworkers/family having large portions when you are also used to eating those portions. But I can honestly say that it gets easier, from both an emotional and physical standpoint. Once you develop the habits, after working on them and getting back up when you fall, it becomes second nature.
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey, you know what, I think we all know why we are here and accept that we have to change our lifestyle to get to where we want to be. However on days like today where I feel like I'm starving, its ok to have a bit of a moan. Particularly if having a bit of a moan stops me from saying *kitten* it and eating the contents of the fridge.

lol eating the contents of the fridge. I found that pretty funny for some reason. But really, you're right. If having that little bit of a moan keeps you from it then by all means, do it :D

Thank you.

It doesn't help that I am so bored at work there is nothing to take my mind off how hungry I am.

Yeah I can totally understand that :\ What's your daily calorie goal at if you don't mind me asking?

I'm actually on 1640 which is reasonable but I guess I'm used to eating much more than that.

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    5' 1 1/2''....and I reached a normal BMI in 2014 for the first time in my life (I'm 46 now...).

I feel your pain...these are my work arounds. They helped me lose 29kg in about 18mths and maintain for almost 2 yrs now.

- burn cals through exercise to eat more ;-), I know minimal for shorties (200-450cals/h depending on intensity)
    - I am a volume eater....not happy with little portions, so I eat loads of low cal veggies with whatever other dishes I cook
    - cal cycling. I eat at 500cals twice a week and my maintainance cals (1600-1700) + exercise cals) the other 5 days to lose weight (aka 5:2, yes it is healthy, doable and sustainable...soon in my 4th year)
    - in maintaince I can even eat a few hundred cals more on maintainance days as long as I have my low days.

Another possibility would be another form of intermittent fasting. For example 16:8 - here you only eat during an 8h time window. You can skip breakfast, eat lunch and dinner. The meals are then a little larger, than three meals and might keep you more satisfied, while staying in your alotted cals. Both 5:2 and 16:8 are not for everyone, but I know quite a few people that have achieved good weightloss and better health using these longterm tools.

In the end...whatever you choose, you need to eat a deficit to lose. If the deficit is on a daily basis or over the course of a week doesn't matter. That is just a personal preference.
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »

Yep, just keep working at it..
    Coming on here and finding others struggling with the same problem IS support. I'm with you.. let me bloody vent with others and if you don't have that problem, go be merry somewhere else.. I'm in a hangry mood and just want support from others that can relate lol

I don't care that my current problem isn't a huge earth shattering one.. it's what I'm dealing with RIGHT NOW LOL

I find water is an issue for me. I have the worlds smallest bladder. I pee constantly and once I bring up my water intake, I feel like I'm stuck in the bathroom all day. Working out with a full bladder isn't comfortable. I don't drink my calories, I can't! So I have one coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day, but I can only drink so much and nothing after 2pm or I wont make it home from the office at 3:30 .. oh the struggle is real :D

This *applause*

I'm your fellow hangry person today!!

ETA: look on the Brightside with all your trips to the bathroom you'll be building up those activity calories!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

You don't need to eat a lot to get pleasure, just chose the right foods in the right amount for your size. I am 4 feet 11 inches and I maintain between 103 and 105 lbs. I eat around 1450 calories a day and sometimes even that is too much because eating more it would mean not only to gain weight but also to feel stuffed; and that is not pleasurable.

I don't know how you can eat that much and maintain. I'm just a tad smaller than you and I would balloon with that many calories a day.

That is my max amount and I don't reach it everyday. I did yesterday and today my breakfast was only 180 calories because I wasn't hungry. I ate because I need fuel for my morning fitness class. I do workout a lot but I don't eat my exercise calories, I don't even log them. I don't exercise to be able to eat more, I exercise for fitness and because I really enjoy it.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Being short definitely sucks for weight loss. I know that I can feel full on less calories than a tall person so I'm not upset with that at all. Im sure 1600 calories seems just as small to a 5'6 women as 1200 feels to me. The part I can not stand is having such a small BMR /TDEE to cut from. I burn less exercising as well so its much hard to create a deficit especially now that I am only 12 lbs from the top end of a healthy BMI. Oh well ........... ever forward.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Ehhh . . . I'm only 4'10" and I'm hypothyroid (although it's well medicated at the moment) and I'm 53. And I don't find losing/maintaining weight to be hard at all. It was until my thyroid was taken care of. But now that I'm "normal" it's not difficult at all. I do move a LOT. Yesterday I was in motion almost all day long and my TDEE per my Fitbit was over 1900 calories.

I simply don't buy (lack of) height as an excuse. Certainly my almost 6' DH can eat a lot more than I can, but it's because he's sustaining a greater load for his bodily processes -- his heart and lungs are powering a bigger body, his blood travels a great distance, he uses more energy moving his bigger body, etc. I don't think I get any hungrier than he does, although I eat considerably less.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I chuckle at 5'3" being 'short'.... coming from someone that isn't even 4'11" yup our maintenance calories are not as much. We have to be more Careful in what we eat. 1,200 is close to my daily 'allowed' when everyone says "don't go below 1,200" we have to be on target with What we eat. watching the combo's.
    It is what it is for our height. Its hard when I have 'challengers' in my groups that are tall and saying "I need to eat How much"..... yes... so sorry. lol
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm a tall woman, I still got fat, and now I'm not.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    nancybuss wrote: »
    I chuckle at 5'3" being 'short'.... coming from someone that isn't even 4'11" yup our maintenance calories are not as much. We have to be more Careful in what we eat. 1,200 is close to my daily 'allowed' when everyone says "don't go below 1,200" we have to be on target with What we eat. watching the combo's.
    It is what it is for our height. Its hard when I have 'challengers' in my groups that are tall and saying "I need to eat How much"..... yes... so sorry. lol

^^this lol

If I eat 1200 a day, I better be moving A LOT that day! That's a high end calorie day for me.