Being short sucks for dieting

Options

Replies

• runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Trust me being tall is not a help.... I am 5'10" and i have to eat a lot less than I am used to get results :/ and it was alot longer before anyone noticed which was a little soul destroying.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Using height as an excuse that weight loss is more difficult, isn't really valid.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Hi there I'm only 5'3 / 1.5m - and even after I reach my goal I'd still be 10kg within the healthy weight for my height - I can't even imagine eating any less that I am right now, I can't believe anyone my height can be skinny!!

I really envy tall people who can seem to eat so much more. I realise I could do a lot more exercise but that's something I'm working on.
    You gotta go to Asian countries then. Average Asian for females is 5'-5' 4". And many are on the "skinny" side. While genetics matter, culture and habitual behavior do to. Many Asians that migrate to the US inadvertently gain a lot of weight due to eating behavior change.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Urafiki1769
    Urafiki1769 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there I'm only 5'3 / 1.5m - and even after I reach my goal I'd still be 10kg within the healthy weight for my height - I can't even imagine eating any less that I am right now, I can't believe anyone my height can be skinny!!

I really envy tall people who can seem to eat so much more. I realise I could do a lot more exercise but that's something I'm working on.

• KittiesGoMew
    KittiesGoMew Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »
    Hey, you know what, I think we all know why we are here and accept that we have to change our lifestyle to get to where we want to be. However on days like today where I feel like I'm starving, its ok to have a bit of a moan. Particularly if having a bit of a moan stops me from saying *kitten* it and eating the contents of the fridge.

lol eating the contents of the fridge. I found that pretty funny for some reason. But really, you're right. If having that little bit of a moan keeps you from it then by all means, do it :D

• 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You put the weight on, and you gotta lose it. It's doesn't make any difference if you are short, medium or tall.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    What sucks for me is restaurant portions and trying to fit in eating out. They don't make a "short persons" menu, and while a 700 calorie plate is only 1/3 of my bf's quota, it's 1/2 of mine. So, it's a matter of trying to figure out how much to leave on the plate (which can be tricky), or just accepting that I'm going to have to skip the accompanying cocktail and order water while he gets to indulge in two sodas.

Some restaurants will offer an a la carte menu. Those places rock. It's so much easier to order small (when you can) then try and figure out how much of your wrap you'd have to leave behind to equal 200 calories.
  • Urafiki1769
    Urafiki1769 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I feel your pain too being 5'1, but I read an interesting article on how the BMI ratio calculation is out dated, they showed 6 women all the same weight, some appeared to be over weight, anyway the point of the article was that because we are so different we should calculate our waist measurement to get a more accurate assumption of if we are unhealthy or not. I thought this was a more positive way of keeping track of my health.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm close to your height, and I've been maintaining for the last 20 years. It took some readjustment of my expectations, training myself to snack less, and thinking of physical hunger as my guide to eating, not appetite or the urge to eat.

It helps me to eat my meal, and then go do something that really occupies my attention, not drift around feeling bored, looking for more food. It takes a while for satiety to set in.
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    294Rich wrote: »
    You put the weight on, and you gotta lose it. It's doesn't make any difference if you are short, medium or tall.

and the prize for stating the bleeding obvious goes to........

:p

• clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »
    Hey, you know what, I think we all know why we are here and accept that we have to change our lifestyle to get to where we want to be. However on days like today where I feel like I'm starving, its ok to have a bit of a moan. Particularly if having a bit of a moan stops me from saying *kitten* it and eating the contents of the fridge.

lol eating the contents of the fridge. I found that pretty funny for some reason. But really, you're right. If having that little bit of a moan keeps you from it then by all means, do it :D

Thank you.

It doesn't help that I am so bored at work there is nothing to take my mind off how hungry I am.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I would look at it from another perspective: I'm 5'3", if I lose 5 lbs it makes a big difference in my appearance. One of my siblings is 5'9" he needs to tell people he lost 5 lbs because nobody notices it...

^This. And I'm barely 5 feet tall. I don't think being short sucks or is a disability in any way. Think of it as "fun size". If you're starving try some really filling foods, like veggies, huge salads. Protein and fats will also keep you full longer. (peanut butter, yum!) And the more you move the more you get to eat. Some days I ride my bike just so I can eat pizza!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    yes!! I'm under 5 feet.. about the bloody size of a 5th grader :neutral: .. it SUCKS.

You have to workout harder.. you have to eat less. You can't eat like other adults do and maintain. impossible. lol

I'm pissy about it also haha.. I know there is nothing I can do about it. I get that in the grand scheme of things, it is really a first world problem .. blah blah blah.

But it still SUUUCKS.. lol I hear you!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I somewhat disagree with exercising in order to eat more (although do whatever works for you). For me, it was most important to learn to eat less, end of story. Sometimes I exercise a lot, sometimes I break a leg and don't exercise at all for 3 weeks, and I never trust the numbers that calories burned calculators give. I exercise and am on my feet most of my waking hours. It counts as my activity level, and I don't add more calories to my goal because I've exercised.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I somewhat disagree with exercising in order to eat more (although do whatever works for you). For me, it was most important to learn to eat less, end of story. Sometimes I exercise a lot, sometimes I break a leg and don't exercise at all for 3 weeks, and I never trust the numbers that calories burned calculators give. I exercise and am on my feet most of my waking hours. It counts as my activity level, and I don't add more calories to my goal because I've exercised.

Different strokes for different folks. I can eat less on a day without exercise if I HAVE to for whatever reason but I'm definitely a shorty that will work out harder and longer for the calories to eat more!
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    yes!! I'm under 5 feet.. about the bloody size of a 5th grader :neutral: .. it SUCKS.

You have to workout harder.. you have to eat less. You can't eat like other adults do and maintain. impossible. lol

I'm pissy about it also haha.. I know there is nothing I can do about it. I get that in the grand scheme of things, it is really a first world problem .. blah blah blah.

But it still SUUUCKS.. lol I hear you!

Yeah! I mean when you go for a meal or buy food out its all just one size. It's no fun cutting a burger in half. I have an appetite much bigger than my frame, don't we all to varying degrees? Isn't that why why anyone would want to lose weight?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yeah we don't need as many calories I get that but eating is pleasurable so it's fun to do it, do I need to explain that?

You don't need to eat a lot to get pleasure, just chose the right foods in the right amount for your size. I am 4 feet 11 inches and I maintain between 103 and 105 lbs. I eat around 1450 calories a day and sometimes even that is too much because eating more it would mean not only to gain weight but also to feel stuffed; and that is not pleasurable.
  • majigurl
    Options

Yeah! I mean when you go for a meal or buy food out its all just one size. It's no fun cutting a burger in half. I have an appetite much bigger than my frame, don't we all to varying degrees? Isn't that why why anyone would want to lose weight?

This! I'm happy I have found some restaurants that offer half portions. I don't like bringing home leftovers because I'm a mom with kids and a husband. I can't reheat half my meal for everyone to eat. It will just go to waste.
    I can out eat my husband. Seems we might be short, but our stomachs are adult sizes lol

I get even those taller than us have to cut back, but their cutting back isn't the same as ours. Being able to drop weight while eating 1300-1500 cals a day is insane! The amount I would have to work out ( possibly never stop moving for a moment all day) is just lunacy lol

• localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    You don't need to eat a lot to get pleasure, just chose the right foods in the right amount for your size. I am 4 feet 11 inches and I maintain between 103 and 105 lbs. I eat around 1450 calories a day and sometimes even that is too much because eating more it would mean not only to gain weight but also to feel stuffed; and that is not pleasurable.
    I do agree, the more do I MFP the more stuffed I feel more often. I do miss that biscuit or candy at work though.

• majigurl
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

I don't know how you can eat that much and maintain. I'm just a tad smaller than you and I would balloon with that many calories a day.