some interesting realizations

Options
so I have bought products that are low fat or 0% fat and not meeting my fat goals. realized that I will probably have to buy reg fat greek yogurt/cheese etc now. does everyone else eat reg fat products?
I am snowed in my driveway so i shoveled snow for like 1hr and it says over 300cals which seems high lol

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I rarely buy "fat free" items, because usually, the "fat free" version of whatever you're buying isn't significantly lower in calories, and it probably contains some artificial something or other. I take the position that natural fats (not trans fats) are mostly good for you in moderation. So I eat them, but use careful portion control.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    shoveling snow is a good workout. 300 does not seem too high. :smile:
    If you like avocados they are a good source of fat and fiber.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on low fat as the whole anti-fat thing was based on incomplete science. Fat, within reason, it fine, and will not in and of itself make you fat as long as you are in a calorie deficit. You might want to mix up your fats a bit so they are not all from animal sources (eg. Incorporate something like avocado into your diet).

Shoveling snow is very energy demanding assuming you had a reasonable amount of snow, 1 hour of shoveling will burn a lot of calories. Depending on you age, height, and weight 300 in an hour doesn't sound unreasonable.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I find that when they take out the fat its replaced by sugar, or artificial 'chemicals'.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I always buy regular/full fat versions when available.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't buy fat free versions of products. I usually get full fat dairy products.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I buy fat free plain greek yogurt because the protein content is a lot higher. I use it as topping on savory items or make sauces with it. Milk either 1 or 2% because I just do not like full fat milk. I mostly* avoid low fat or fat free everything else. I love full fat flavored yogurt with actual sugars like noosa. The difference in taste and satiety is big.

*Mostly avoid is because occasionally I am away from the house and couldn't bring food and almost all the grab and go yogurts are fat free/low fat as well as other lower calorie items.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I get full fat or reduced fat and avoid fat free whenever possible. Fat tastes good and is good for you.

It is kind of annoying how hard it can be to find non 0% fat greek yogurt at times. My local grocery store doesn't carry it at all. I have to go to the next town over for it.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

i have never had an avocado lol i know u can make guacamole with them though. what else can u do with them or add them too?
  • lisa9805
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I get full fat or reduced fat and avoid fat free whenever possible. Fat tastes good and is good for you.

It is kind of annoying how hard it can be to find non 0% fat greek yogurt at times. My local grocery store doesn't carry it at all. I have to go to the next town over for it.

i just recently found 0% plain greek yogurt and 2 flavours but its limited.
  • ShrinkingScientist
    ShrinkingScientist Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »

i have never had an avocado lol i know u can make guacamole with them though. what else can u do with them or add them too?

You can cut them up in salads, put them on sandwiches, my co-worker just eats them straight as part of his lunch.
  • lisa9805
    Options
    I do get fats from nuts and oil and meat too not just dairy. I just have bought alot of low fat or ff dairy products because i thought i should be eating less fat. i see now that good fats in moderation are helpful
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I prefer low fat greek yogurt and cottage cheese, but get plenty of fat from other foods, like olive oil, olives, avocado, nuts, meat (including fatty fish), cheese, eggs. Being low on fat has never been an issue for me, although I am not overly worried about hitting any particular percentage (usually around 30%, though).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I eat lowfat or nonfat dairy and go for lean meats. Partly because I prefer the taste, but mostly because I have a real problem not overeating fat.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lydilod wrote: »
    I find that when they take out the fat its replaced by sugar, or artificial 'chemicals'.

This is not true in dairy. All they do is remove the fat (or decrease it). Also not true for egg whites, for that matter, or skinless, boneless chicken breast -- all probably common dieting foods. Other foods are of course naturally low or no fat, like dried pasta, but should have no sugar added. I mention this just because many of these are common foods for dieters and the sugar is added thing is claimed far too broadly. I don't really eat egg whites (except with the yolks) and prefer whole chickens or chicken breasts, but sugar isn't added to the lower fat versions (my issue is that I think the others are more satisfying and taste better, which is what everyone should probably decide for themselves, as people vary).

Sugar is added to flavored yogurts commonly, but that's true regardless of the fat percentage.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I usually eat half of one plain with breakfast, with just a bit of salt. They are good in a wrap or on a sandwich, too.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I looooooove avacados - plain. Once in a while, I'll eat half an avocado with a meal - just slice it up and eat it. A perfectly ripe avocado is so creamy and delicious....
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the full fat. Try wallaby organic whole milk Greek yogurt. It is amazing! And clover organic whole milk cottage cheese.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Lower fat increases calories. Go check out the salad dressings aisle. Avacados are wonderful sources, but not everyone likes the taste of them. I like them on salads etc.
    •Avocados
    •Olives
    •Nuts (almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews)
    •Natural peanut butter (containing just peanuts and salt)
    •Walnuts
    •Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds
    •Flaxseed
    •Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines)
    •Non-GMO sources of soymilk and tofu

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on the food item. I buy 1% milk for example and non-fat Greek yogurt...I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere...and for these particular products, they're not replacing the fat with some other artificial ingredient or sugar or whatever. I also prefer lower fat salad dressings...again, I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere.

I get plenty of fat though...most of my fats from things like avocados, nuts, nut butters, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc which I use extensively in my day to day cooking and eating.
    Lydilod wrote: »

This is typically true for foods that are highly processed in general and are going to contain a significant number of artificial chemicals to begin with. These tend to be marketed "diet" foods. This is not true for dairy and many other reduced fat products for which fat is merely skimmed off. This also doesn't apply to other measures of lower calories like leaner cuts of meat and poultry or using egg whites instead of a whole egg, etc.