some interesting realizations

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    Lower fat increases calories.

As a general statement this makes no sense. If you mean specifically salad dressing, then it would still not always be true.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    Lower fat increases calories.

As a general statement this makes no sense. If you mean specifically salad dressing, then it would still not always be true.

Agreed. For example, I often do an olive oil and balsamic mix. Sometimes I want to reduce calories (and pretty much always have some other source of fat in my salads, like olives), so I make a mustard and red wine vinegar dressing. No fat in the latter and also a lot fewer calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    I did a quick skim here, and didn't see this (apologies if I missed it): Yes, do get some fat! Some micronutrients (vitamins, etc.) are better utilized by your body if you consume fat with them. Several folks have listed good sources of healthy fats. I like to try to get some healthy fat with every meal.

Snow shoveling: Actually, 300 for an hour doesn't seem at all high. I think one of the best single-session "workouts" I ever had was when I shoveled heavy snow steadily/energetically for around 4 hours, and my heart rate monitor said I burned around 1800 calories! (Yes, it was seriously aerobic throughout, and yes, for the skeptics, despite being quite overweight, I was fit enough at the time to shovel snow for 4 hours continuously without it being even remotely risky. :wink: Hit 1100-ish per HRM in a couple of hours once, too, the same way.)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I never ever buy anything that says "fat free" or thereabouts. Why would I? Fat is great. It means I stay full for a lot longer.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    shoveling snow is a good workout. 300 does not seem too high. :smile:
    If you like avocados they are a good source of fat and fiber.

i have never had an avocado lol i know u can make guacamole with them though. what else can u do with them or add them too?

Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the avocado, and grab a spoon. Or smear it on some toast. It's also really good in sushi or on tacos or nachos. Ooh, or on a BLT. ...I want avocado.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are likely not too accurate in measuring calories from snow shoveling. This sites calculation fit well with the one here http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/calories-burned-calculator/
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    do u cook it or eat it raw?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For the shoveling, it depends on how dense the snow is. If it's dense, 300 seems actually low, lol! Last time we had 14 inches and it was so compact that I was sore for two days from the shoveling.

For the fat in dairy, well, it depends. For cheese, I typically go full fat (except those processed cheese slices that I like on burgers or in breakfast burritos, I get 2%). For yogurt, I can't really tell the difference between 0%, 2%, and full fat, for a lot of brands... so I just buy 0% typically... unless it's Siggi's or Oh My Yog! then I really like the full fat ones (and some Fage with lime and blueberries that I have sadly not seen in months).
    Lydilod wrote: »
    I find that when they take out the fat its replaced by sugar, or artificial 'chemicals'.

That's only true in *some* flavored yogurts.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Quarkles wrote: »

i have never had an avocado lol i know u can make guacamole with them though. what else can u do with them or add them too?

Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the avocado, and grab a spoon. Or smear it on some toast. It's also really good in sushi or on tacos or nachos. Ooh, or on a BLT. ...I want avocado.

My favorite way to have it is sliced on a cheese pizza. Lots of calories and a fat wallop but man when I can make it fit my day it's so delicious.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options

What can't you add them to? :smiley:
    You can add slices or chunks to any plate of mexican food. You can mush it up and put it on toast. I sometimes eat them out of the peel with a spoon. Put in a breakfast burrito. Add to any sandwich to replace mayonnaise or keep the mayonnaise too.
    You eat them raw.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are likely not too accurate in measuring calories from snow shoveling. This sites calculation fit well with the one here http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/calories-burned-calculator/

Calculator tracks pretty well with my HRM results, actually (which I think it should if you stay at a steady increased heart rate via continuous effort - that's steady-state cardio).

Four hours, according to the calculator (at 183lb bodyweight at the time, approximately):

snow shoveling, by hand, moderate effort, 5.3 METS, 1760 Cals
    snow shoveling, by hand, vigorous effort, 7.5 METS, 2490 Cals

:)
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I would often put half of one into my smoothies. It makes them really rich.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Calculator tracks pretty well with my HRM results, actually (which I think it should if you stay at a steady increased heart rate via continuous effort - that's steady-state cardio).

Four hours, according to the calculator (at 183lb bodyweight at the time, approximately):

snow shoveling, by hand, moderate effort, 5.3 METS, 1760 Cals
    snow shoveling, by hand, vigorous effort, 7.5 METS, 2490 Cals

:)

That is not bad for a comparison. I would have expected it further off because of the nature of snow shoveling. Glad it is pretty close.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Here in the Midwest we have a brand called Prairie Farms that makes the best cottage cheese I've ever had. For years I bought the blue container (2% milk fat variety) because it's what my mother always bought for me and I grew up on it. The assumption was that since the fat content was lower, it was "better" and "healthier". Then one day I bought the higher fat version....and the rest is history. It was so cream and delicious.,.I'll never go back.

Also, I noticed here recently that at my local Target, tubs of 32oz fat free plain Greek yogurt are $2 higher than the low fat and full fat varieties of the exact same size..wth? Just another reason to buy the full fat versions imho!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It depends on the item. If I like the low/no fat version and the calories are lower, I go with that. Greek yogurt is one that I always go with the low/no fat. Cheese is something I NEVER go low fat on. I'd rather have no cheese at all than that abomination.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I trade fats. I drink skim milk and eat light cheese and yogurt so I can eat full fat ice cream! :p
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    People,

What do you prefer to buy:

whole milk vs 2%?
    regular cheese vs 2%?
    regular mayo vs lite version?
    reg ranch vs lite version?
    Ground beef 72% vs 90%?
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    People,

What do you prefer to buy:

whole milk vs 2%?
    regular cheese vs 2%?
    regular mayo vs lite version?
    reg ranch vs lite version?
    Ground beef 72% vs 90%?

2% milk
    Regular cheese
    Light mayo
    Toss up on ranch...depends on my calories
    I usually buy 93% beef

Me, too :)
    That's why I was surprised to see this thread!
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    correction: I prefer 2% cheese. :) Lower calories and cholesterol number.