How much weight loss before people start noticing?

Options

Replies

• iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    One lady that I usually miss bc of her shift at the convenience store i frequent has noticed, and my grandmother (who I'm not sure really counts) and I'm a little less than 20lbs into a 100lb goal.

i havent really noticed, other than some of my clothes fit a little better. and my love handles arent as obnoxiously prominent.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    People will notice more when you start to wear smaller clothing. If you continue to wear the same clothes, it's a lot harder to tell. I've lost over 50 lbs, and I'd say some people started commenting after about 20 lbs. I'm 5'3" and started at 240. I'm currently 184.6 and it's obvious now (I'm down 3 sizes), but still, I find that people who are overweight never say a word, while I get tons of comments from people who are already in a healthy weight range. I find this interesting, and a bit sad, to be honest.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    People likely notice but aren't saying anything. I find discussing other people's bodies to be extremely rude. Unless you're actively telling me you're losing weight I'm likely not going to mention it.

This has a lot to do with it, OP. I don't like to discuss other people's bodies, and I don't particularly like discussion of my own, even, from people with whom I am merely casual. So I'd be unlikely to bring it up first.

I got my first comments about 30 pounds down, from 200 at 5'3''.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    10 pounds. I'm 5'4" and started at 150. Seems like smaller losses are more noticeable when you haven't much to lose and you're not tall.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I found that people noticed something was different after 10-12 pounds, but didn't necessarily notice it was weight loss. Did you get a hair cut, you look more awake lately, is that a new shirt, etc.
    After about 25 pounds off of 257, more noticed weight loss. I'm also fairly short.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I started at 265 and am now 236. Nobody's noticed. My clothes are looser and my face looks thinner to me. I'm expecting people to start noticing after about another 20lbs or so I reckon!
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Started at 273, nobody said anything until I had lost like 50 pounds. I'm now 194 and just really realizing the difference
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    5lbs, I'm short so the difference between 120 and 125 is large. Especially since it all seems to be in my face.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Lost 30 pounds but I wear baggy clothes so no one has noticed. XD
  • Cesnoddon
    Cesnoddon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It will depend on your body build as well. I'm tje same way my starting was 232 and I've lost around 27lbs and in pictures its not really noticeable even though I have gone from a size 14 to a 10 in pants. My weight was always evenly disturbed and I naturally have high cheek bones and a thin face lines so my face couldn't really be a noticeable reference point either. It was really discouraging to have lost almost 30 pound and still not many people have said much. What really made me happy was when I seen and aunt I haven't seen in years and I was lighter than the 232 the last time I seen her and she noticed. What you have to think of too is that people who see you every day see the slow weight loss as well and may not notice cause it is happening gradually for them as well. After the thing with my aunt happened I could go back through my pictures and see the difference better.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I lost 33 lbs before anyone seemed to notice.

Then they were busy noticing and commenting all over the place for the next 22 lbs.

Fortunately now that I'm 55 lbs lighter and have maintained that for a little while, the comments have stopped.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I actually dread people noticing, because it means I have to explain why now. The reason is never flattering. :)
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had everyone flummoxed. I started getting comments when I got down to about 220 (started at 250). But I had also gotten new glasses, started cutting my hair super short, and started going with the clean shaven look. Some people didn't even recognize me.
  • Hartman1986
    Hartman1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started getting a lot of comments about my weight loss about the time I had to buy new clothes. That was after I had loss about 4 inches off my waist.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    People will notice more when you start to wear smaller clothing. If you continue to wear the same clothes, it's a lot harder to tell. I've lost over 50 lbs, and I'd say some people started commenting after about 20 lbs. I'm 5'3" and started at 240. I'm currently 184.6 and it's obvious now (I'm down 3 sizes), but still, I find that people who are overweight never say a word, while I get tons of comments from people who are already in a healthy weight range. I find this interesting, and a bit sad, to be honest.

As an overweight person, I comment only to close friends that I know would take it positively. I would never ever comment to anyone else because:
    - I personally actually hate discussing my weight, even when it's on the way down, so they might too
    - some people get derailed by compliments on their weight loss
    - As someone who's been there, I know it can make for very awkward moments for them if they don't stick with it for some reason or regain it.

So, basically out of (my own idea of) respect. I think that's what most people do - they are motivated to comment, or not, mostly by good intentions to you and perhaps by a little bit of social awkwardness.

Just hoped to lesten your sadness a bit :) Just believe that most people are positive, just have different ways of showing it.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, it depends on where you are starting from. I am about 5'6" and started at 170. I started receiving comments at work after only about 6 pounds. I'm now down 18.5 lbs and people comment regularly, probably because I haven't bought new clothes yet and my clothes have become very baggy haha.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and started at 198lbs it took about 25-30 lbs before anyone mentioned it and then they wouldn't shut up about it. I know that gets on some peoples nerves but I LOVED it, guess I'm a little self absorbed lol.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    For me it was around 30 pounds down, and then people commented some even saying I should not lose more even though I was still Obese Class 1.
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weighed 218 at Christmas, this morning I weighed 190. My husband is the only one who has said anything, and i think that's only because every day I'm like "look at me! down another half pound, can you tell yet?" lol It's getting discouraging.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Started at 240ish. Dropped 10 lbs and people at work started commenting a bit. The whole "you did something different" question. Dropped another 10 lbs and people starting saying they could tell. Dropped another 20 lbs (down 40) and people said I did not need to lose any more. I would not be "me" anymore. Great (sigh) thanks. That said I have about 40 more pounds to go.