How much weight loss before people start noticing?

Options

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I was huge my first time around, and people didn't say anything for about 50 pounds. It was a little disheartening but I also tried to think about it as my awesome exciting secret that would be revealed any day. I didn't talk about it with anyone, figured if I failed again at least no one would know. But yeah it was rough waiting for outside encouragement.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I started at 248 and most people started noticing around 35-40 lbs. I myself didn't see it until 50 lbs, I took the first two pics from my profile pic and put them side by side - that was the only way I could see it. I'm bad at noticing weight loss in other people, so I never expect anyone to notice mine. But now, the comments never stop and the more I lose, the weirder and more questionable they become. Most people are fine though.
  • KitchyWitchy
    KitchyWitchy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think people at work first commented when I had lost about 25 pounds or so. I usually don't mention I've noticed someone lost weight unless I know they are trying though so some may have noticed and not said anything.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I started at 160 (5 ft 4) and got my first comment at about 15 lbs down.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    The more you have to lose the longer it will take others to notice....
    But you're doing this for YOU, keep up the good work :smile:

I had only 20lbs to lose, it took me losing 10lbs before anyone at work noticed, it took losing the whole 20lb before my family noticed...
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", started at 215 and I'm down 17 lbs. Just yesterday, I got my first question of whether I had lost weight. It was also the day that my pants were ridiculously too big, so I'm not totally sure if that was more of a comment on my actual weight loss or a comment on my pants being too big lol
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I started to notice within 10lbs... I found it took close friends and family about 20-25lbs before they said anything... and other people (co-workers, neighbours, people in my circle that I am not necessarily close with) about 30 + lbs
  • missesquirejd
    missesquirejd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was 7 weeks into my journey when my co-workers said they noticed. I only weigh once a month, so I can't definitively say how much weight I had lost at that point.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and started at 128 pounds, down 10 pounds and my friends have started noticing.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    30lbs before people started commenting. Some people still don't say anything. I just ran into one of my aunts whom I haven't seen in 6 months and she didn't say a word about it. Guess it just depends.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I'd say 15 lbs off of 155 @ 5'6" for me.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    About 18 lbs. I started at 245 (5'5") and am at 202 now. Neighbors started noticing quickly. One neighbor, bless her heart, tried to tell me last week that I'd already reached a "healthy weight" and could stop now. Yeah, no, but the vote of confidence is nice. I have to look at pictures from last October to realize the difference myself. I'm in much smaller clothes now. Often now when I catch sight of myself in the mirror, I don't have the same old "Oh, my God" reaction, but I notice that in a candid photo shot posted by a neighbor, I still look huge to myself. And then I think how much bigger I was only four months ago! I really, really feel it in my feet and back at the end of a long day: terrific improvement. And my endurance on the treadmill is night and day.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My coworker commented yesterday that he liked my pants and they looked good on me. They aren't new by any means, I've worn that pair of trousers to work many times, which tells me that my weight loss has made the clothing look good.

Beyond that my husband has noticed. And that's all, lol.
  • UltraHealthSeeker
    UltraHealthSeeker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started at 272 and it took about 40 pounds before people started noticing. For the first 40 pounds they would say things like "did you change your hair?" they couldn't seem to put their finger on what was happening.
  • Cirque95
    Cirque95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11 pounds so far and feel like I look bigger :| . I haven't had any comments so far but I think the only people that would comment would be my family. I'd feel a bit awkward if anyone else commented. Last time I started noticing a different myself was at about 21 pounds.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started at 255 and have lost 15 pounds thus far (it won't be official until my WI on Monday morning). No one has noticed yet. The only thing I've noticed is that my pants are a tad bit looser, but not noticibly so to anyone else.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    So I was out last night at a family get together, I've not seen the majority of them folks since last summer, if someone is going to notice weight loss its going to be at one of these type of events where you've not seen people for a while, no one noticed my weight loss but more than that was I over heard this group of women discuss weight loss and weight watchers, one of them has lost 28lbs and I'll be honest I never noticed, all the women had lost weight and you wouldn't notice.

Obviously you can't pick where the weight comes off from but I think this is an issue, for me I notice it coming off my belly, I have on odd build in the most of my weight is on my belly thanks to years of beer drinking, and I have a chubby face, my legs arms etc are trim probably due to years of manual labour, I think if you have a chubby face you still look fat even if the weight is coming off.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I'm down 91 and have only had comments from a few people. I have a hard time seeing it on myself so I'm not sure what others are seeing especially when they see me every day.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    Curious about this, how much weight did you loss before people started noticing? I've lost 17/18lbs 9kg since New Years so far all thats noticed is my mother and well mothers always notice that anyway so we can disregard her. If I'm honest I haven't really noticed myself either, looking in the mirror I see no change, no change even in the progress photos. Looking at the photos I took at the start with the photos now I see no change.

Measurements are going down so thats something I guess.

Shirt on or shirt off?

Measure your body fat percentage, and take a look at what men and women look like with various percentages. At some point - people start to notice. And you can use the mirror to check your progress as you move lower in the body fat percentage number.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

25264459645_92a7594575_o.jpgbody-fat-percentage-men

25431601281_50dc6efa75_o.jpg
  • kaybelle0
    kaybelle0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I began to lose weight at 138.8 pounds (63 kilos) and it was difficult to get into routine or notice a difference. It was also difficult to motivate myself as many (including close friends) put me down and said there was no reason for me to lose weight as I was already "skinny" I don't think they really understood my on insecurities, so I continued. I noticed my weight loss after maybe losing 15 pounds (7 kilos). But this was because I already had a slim build to begin with, but others began to notice after I lost about 24 pounds. (11 kilos). It all depends on how you are built. Most noticed the difference in weight around my thighs, as I have always been heavier on the bottom than on the top.