My very boring treadmill.

Options
13»

Replies

• ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I hired magician who also juggles to entertain me while I run.
  • GonzoMcG
    GonzoMcG Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    audio books for long runs, or music.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    TracyYates wrote: »
    I'm two months into my healthier lifestyle and down 25.5 pounds. (Yay!) I've definitely kicked up my activity level by just moving more, mostly via brisk walks and mostly on the treadmill. (There's not great outside walking conditions in my rural area. Skinny, Curvy, Dangerous, Dirt Roads.) Here's my struggle. IT'S BORING and I tend to watch numbers. The numbers on the treadmill, the numbers on the clock, the number on my Garmen. I'm driving myself a little nuts watching the numbers. - I'm just wondering what YOU do to pass the time on the treadmill! - THANKS ALL!

Set the incline at 15 and the speed at 8. That should help keep you entertained.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Rock concerts on youtube on my iPad (placed over the display), sound via bluetooth to external speakers.
  • TracyYates
    TracyYates Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    I read lol. I just put the font really big on my phone and read away. I never have time to read so this is awesome way to do two things at once.

If you knit, some people knit also haha.

and then of course there's tv and audio books that others have mentioned if you get bored of reading or don't knit lol

You laugh about the knitting on the treadmill, but it's a thing!

***** KNITTING? How in the heck do you Knit while treadmilling? I dont think I'm that coordinated! ****
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Workout music and running apps. I'm so busy I don't realize how much time I've finished. Couch to 5K sends verbal prompts. I also occasionally watch Netflix.
  • TracyYates
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I run and don't usually use the treadmill for walking, but I always cover the treadmill display with a towel so I don't have to look at it, which is the biggest help for me.

I'm another one who enlarges the font and reads on an ebook or tablet, too.

And I use the Zombies, Run! app, which is super engaging and makes an hour fly by for me.

Intervals are also a big time-kill on a treadmill, if I'm doing sprint/walks I can make fifteen or twenty minutes at least fly by because I'm so focused on getting them done and changing the speed and all that.

I live in a place that gets -40 temps with crazy windchills, tons of snow and ice, and am in an urban core with lots of traffic and other safety concerns, so I love that the treadmill is an option for when it's dark/cold/icy/etc outside and I don't want to deal with it. I find I quite enjoy the opportunity to blast my music and totally zone out and not have to pay attention to anyone or anything for an hour sometimes, you know?

*** Zombies, Run. I gotta try that. Kick kicking butt peleroja! ***
  • TracyYates
    Options
    If you can put a TV in front of your treadmill, that'd be ideal. I don't have that option, so I use my iPad to play music when I'm running (I live in a cold climate and I'll be damned if I'm going outside when its 14 degrees and dark so I can run!). I tried the podcast thing once but the talking didn't really do it for me when I'm trying to push through on an exhausting run, but music seems to keep my energy up and keep me pumped!

I like the cover the clock/numbers thing, too. I tend to glance down too often and really try to avoid the whole clock-watching phenomenon (plus it tilts my neck down and makes my back hurt when I'm running!), so I may try that next time out! Good hint, thanks!

*** Thanks a bunch Brian! ***
  • TracyYates
    Options
    danacondah wrote: »
    Congrats on your loss! While my first instinct is to say GO OUTSIDE... I understand you aren't living with above average conditions... so here's my advice...

1. If you're not listening to music, start.
    2. Make sure the music is super awesome and you want to sing along but you can't because your working out so hard and getting sexy that you can barely breathe.
    3. Trying changing up the brisk walk... make it interesting... walk for 2 min, jog for 1. Vary between different inclines. Try skipping (killer on the calves).
    4. Cover the numbers with a towel. Bye bye numbers.

All of this!!! I have a Rob Zombie station on Pandora that I blast, trying to match my pace with the beat of the music. It's not perfect, but the energy boost I get from LOUD heavy metal is awesome! I also will sometimes do a warm-up of 3 mph for 5 min, run at 5-5.5 mph for a mile, walk another 5 minutes, etc.

*** You guys ROCK. Thanks bunches Redbeard! ***
  • TracyYates
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I also cover my display with a towel or something or I'll number watch. To pass the time, there are a few things I do:

-listen to podcasts
    -listen to music (I tend to really get in to the song and move my legs to the beat and before I know it, the song is over and 3 minutes have already passed)
    -watch youtube videos (my favorite youtube videos to watch are health/fitness/weight loss related ones that really get me motivated)
    -watch anything on netflix
    -Start a running program (this is my top recommendation if it's something you're interested in. Couch 2 5K is amazing and starts with alternating running and walking. There's a timer for walking and running. While you're walking, you're getting pumped up ready to run and before you know it, it's time to run. Then while you're running, time just flies by and it's time to walk again. before you realize it, 30 minutes have gone by!)

*** Couch 2 5K. I've heard so much about it. Maybe it's time to check in to it and DO IT! Thanks! ***