low carb meal and snack ideas

Options
deathantaxes
deathantaxes Posts: 10 Member
Today I was placed on a low-carb dietary guideline by my physician. I prefer to eat non-processed, whole foods (I grind my own flour for bread and everything, this is going to kill me.)
Do you have any suggestions for fast breakfasts, meals I can pack for lunch that will stay good in an insulated lunch sack, dinners, and snacks? This snacking thing is also part of a brave, new world. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Have you heard of egg mugs? Hungry Girl has tons of recipes using eggbeaters. You could use egg whites or whole eggs. I like the California, Denver and Mexicali. hungry-girl.com/go-to-guides/show/best-of-egg-mug-recipes

Snacks: Hummus and veggies or cheese, nuts and fruit. I have been using mason jars to pack snacks and lunches. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/09/recycle-tip-fruit-cups-mason-jars.html

Lunches: Mason Jar Salads. There are tons of ideas out there. I did one with chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, red peppers, lettuce and feta with lemon and olive oil.

Dinners: You can make all kinds of lettuce wraps. Asian style, Tacos, Chicken salad, lunch meat. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/roast-beef-and-cucumber-lettuce-wrap.html I love spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles as a base for different sauces. The Dr. Oz Protein Bowl recipes are good.
    doctoroz.com/recipe-collection/total-10-protein-bowls
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I gave up flour months and months ago.

Snacks? Almonds, mozzarella sticks, apple, even some Fiber One cereal (weighed).
    Food? I go high lean protein and high fiber (beans, lentils, brown rice, quinoa, barley, plain oatmeal).
    Lots of fruits and veggies.
  • cheryllynn0129
    cheryllynn0129 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Strawberries are a great low carb snack. If you're not worried about fat intake (on low carb plans you need more fat) salami slices. Very satisfying and no carbs. Genoa is the brand I buy. The other snack I like is boiled shrimp. I buy a small pack from Costco for $10.00 and I snack on it for about 3 days.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend joining this group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

For snacks I like nuts and seeds, broccoli, cauliflower, hard boiled eggs, kale chips, cheese sticks...
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I've made these on mulitple occasions and they are soo good.

http://www.thelondoner.me/2014/04/skinny-burrito-bowl.html
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    ruled.me has good ideas for meals
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for asking and starting this thread. I needed the same info! And a thanks to everyone responding, there's some really great ideas here.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Broccoli and cheese omelets, diced avocado, hard boiled egg and crumbled bacon, scrambled eggs with bacon and tomato slices

Snacks: Almonds, pumpkin seeds (I like them with the hull on because it takes about an hour for me to eat an ounce and it satisfies my need to chew), cheese (Mini Baby Bel, mozzarella sticks, or just hack a piece off of a block), hard boiled eggs, veggies with hummus or guacamole (I'm currently on a peppers and hummus kick}, celery sticks with either cream cheese or peanut butter

Lunch: I don't have access to a microwave or a refrigerator at work so when it's warm I make a lot of chicken and tuna salads. My favorite is a smoked chicken salad which is simply shredded chicken, mayo, liquid smoke, slivered almonds and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. When it's cold I make a pot of soup on Sunday and take it in a food jar during the week.

Dinner: When I first started low carb I kept my dinners fairly simple. I usually paired some sort of baked/grilled/broiled protein with a salad and low carb vegetable. When I want a burger I either replace the bun with a couple leaves of Romaine or have it in a bowl over a salad. When doing the salad thing I mix reduced sugar ketchup, mayo and a little white vinegar to make a tangy dressing to drizzle over it.

Some of my favorite low carb blogs are Sugarfreemom, Gourmetgirlcooks, IbreatheI'mhungry, and 24/7lowcarbdiner. I prefer to stay away from recipes with ingredients I have to order online. That simplifies my life considerably but a lot of people get a little exotic. You just need to figure out what works for you. I hope this has been helpful. Good luck!