Coffee creamer substitutes that don't suck??

Options
Staying at or under 1000 calories a day means that I reeeally have to be mindful of my choices. That 4 tbs of half and half for my 2 cups of coffee is beginning to feel pricey.

Anyone find a decent creamer for fewer calories? I've tried almond milk, but I can't. I just can't. It's like adding lighter colored water to my darker colored water.

I'd love some suggestions!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1000 per day?
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Walden farms makes a creamer that's not bad
  • kaileyhamilton315
    kaileyhamilton315 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @Alatariel75 I budget calories with a weekday deficit so I can have a decent date night with my husband at Bonefish Grill if I want to. Honestly, between Zuchini noodle pasta and generous sides of veggies, I feel quite satisfied. That said, it's still slim to squeeze in my coveted half-and-half.
  • kaileyhamilton315
    kaileyhamilton315 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @Yisrael1981 Thanks! I'll check it out!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have no suggestions. Just wonder how many calories does one cup of your coffee have?

I just make simple creamer/suger/coffee at 130 cal. Drink it for the caffeine. It can power me all morning to 2pm including 1hr of intensive racquet ball session in between.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Go for the half and half.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have a single serve of CoffeeMate Hazelnut in my coffee, plenty sweet and creamy for me and only 40 cals. That's when I have creamer. Usually I just add light milk.
  • Mondoweft
    Mondoweft Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had to look up what half and half was. Just use normal milk. (I use 2% light milk, but that would be even more of a shock).
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what half and half or even what creamer is or why I am contributing to this thread.

But I assume it's to turn black coffee into light brown coffee.

What about a splash of lite milk?
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ah, fellow coffee lover... Almond milk in coffee is so strange. I don't know how anyone enjoys their coffee that way. I switched from regular to 'sugar-free' version CoffeeMate creamer awhile ago because it's like half the calories and still tastes great. I also cut slowly cut down on how much used. Maybe try 3.5 for awhile? It saves a couple of calories and still tastes pretty much the same. The sugarfree hazelnut and Italian sweet cream are so good though. Goodluck!
  • 25brittany25
    25brittany25 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So .. I have the same issue . I LOVE coffee and flavored cream. But. I found that adding organic honey to hot black coffee is amazing and only 60 calories is all you need with the 0 calorie black coffee.. I love it because I'm an excessive coffee drinker. And I can still get my fix without the guilt :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Milk.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Milk.

/thread
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I wish I could learn to drink coffee black....but NO!! I would sacrifice a lot of other calories but not my half and half. I have learned to use a tablespoon to measure and I now use a bit less but it just makes for a good cup of Joe. I also love cheese but would cut those calories before cutting out half and half. It helps start the day right. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You know that 'creamer' appears to be a particularly American thing that doesn't happen in the rest of the world - if you order coffee you get different types and it comes with or without milk

From what I understand it's some kind of sweetened milk - so IMHO it's not really coffee you guys enjoy but some kind of sweetened milky drink - so like an adult version of a milkshake - sounds odd :)

I'd say use a splash of milk and a sweetener if you must

but to retrain your taste buds try say a month of drinking it without the creamer / sweetener - you'd be surprised how awful sweetened hot drinks taste after that
  • bisky
    edited March 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You know that 'creamer' appears to be a particularly American thing that doesn't happen in the rest of the world - if you order coffee you get different types and it comes with or without milk

From what I understand it's some kind of sweetened milk - so IMHO it's not really coffee you guys enjoy but some kind of sweetened milky drink - so like an adult version of a milkshake - sounds odd :)

but to retrain your taste buds try say a month of drinking it without the creamer / sweetener - you'd be surprised how awful sweetened hot drinks taste after that

No, half and half has less sugar than milk, less lactose milk sugars.
    Half-and-half, also known as half cream in the United Kingdom, is a simple blend of equal parts whole milk and light cream. It averages 10 to 12% fat, which is more than milk but less than light cream. Due to its lower fat content than cream, it can't be whipped.

Most of the "flavored" creamers are a mix of chemicals and sweetners.
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't have any solutions for you. But using up a large portion of your calories on coffee could mean you will miss out on necessary nutrition. It puts you at risk for a nutrient deficiency or bring unable to adhere to your plan. I learned to love my coffee black a few years ago when I realized how many calories are in creamers. Switching sucks but you'll enjoy the taste of coffee more once you get used to it black.
  • aimeezartz
    aimeezartz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Noname brand in Canada. Its the bright yellow brand. Not sure if it's available in other countries? 10cal per tsp. I just bought some yesterday but have yet to try it. I'm a coffeemate girl myself but at 60cals a tbsp I was looking for an alternative myself.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

No, half and half has less sugar than milk, less lactose milk sugars.
    Half-and-half, also known as half cream in the United Kingdom, is a simple blend of equal parts whole milk and light cream. It averages 10 to 12% fat, which is more than milk but less than light cream. Due to its lower fat content than cream, it can't be whipped.

Most of the "flavored" creamers are a mix of chemicals and sweetners.

UK doesn't have half cream as far as I'm aware

We have milk - skimmed, 1%, semi-skimmed and full fat
    or cream - single, double, whipping

• bisky
    Options
    So half and half would be equivalent of 1/2 milk and 1/2 single cream?