Coffee creamer substitutes that don't suck??

Options

Replies

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    My favorite coffee mix lately is instant coffee, 2 tsp of sugar free vanilla caramel coffeemate (powder) and a splenda packet. 24 calories for the lot. I make it at work with the hot water tap and then add ice for a yummy ice coffee treat. Hope you find something that works. And enjoy date night!
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I drink fatty coffee and my wife drinks honey coffee. We use dark roast, grind our beans and use a french press.
    Fatty Coffee: 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 tbsp grass fed cow butter & 2 cups of coffee. = 105 cal
    Honey Coffee: 1 tbsp organic heavy cream, 1 tbsp raw (local) honey & 2 cups of coffee. = 110 cal
    Both of these are mixed using an immersion blender to make a frothy top. Put a dash a cinnamon or pumpkin spice on top to change up the flavor.
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Milk.
    I agree. Don't know why that suugestion got flagged, though. I little splash of 2%/light milk (30 cals worth works for me), plus a near zero cal sweetener packet satisfies my tastebuds. And I'm a former "3 creams. 3 sugars gal".

Probably got flagged for being unhelpful. Lots of posts in here that look like people just trying to get their post count up, because I'm PRETTY SURE OP has already tried milk and found it not as satisfying. I swear you ask one question in these threads and the thread junkies are all over it like you asked something offensive. ANYWAY, that's neither here nor there....

Not sure if you use whey protein powders. I've been doing this for about 6 months now and I'm addicted. I mix one scoop of Cellucor Cinnamon Swirl with just enough water to make it liquid and not clumpy. Then I add hot coffee to that mixture. The steps are crucial or else you'll end up with a coagulated spongy mess. Ends up tasting like a creamy cinnamon latte

**"oh but heating the protein powder will break down the blahblahblahblah....."** I bake with it also. Seems to be doing me just fine.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Milk.
    I agree. Don't know why that suugestion got flagged, though. I little splash of 2%/light milk (30 cals worth works for me), plus a near zero cal sweetener packet satisfies my tastebuds. And I'm a former "3 creams. 3 sugars gal".

Probably got flagged for being unhelpful.
    Lots of posts in here that look like people just trying to get their post count up, because I'm PRETTY SURE OP has already tried milk and found it not as satisfying. I swear you ask one question in these threads and the thread junkies are all over it like you asked something offensive. ANYWAY, that's neither here nor there....

Not sure if you use whey protein powders. I've been doing this for about 6 months now and I'm addicted. I mix one scoop of Cellucor Cinnamon Swirl with just enough water to make it liquid and not clumpy. Then I add hot coffee to that mixture. The steps are crucial or else you'll end up with a coagulated spongy mess. Ends up tasting like a creamy cinnamon latte

**"oh but heating the protein powder will break down the blahblahblahblah....."** I bake with it also. Seems to be doing me just fine.

The OP asked for opinions on what to put her in coffee, someone gave theirs, and it was milk. I don't see how this is any less helpful than you saying you use protein powder.
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options

The OP asked for opinions on what to put her in coffee, someone gave theirs, and it was milk. I don't see how this is any less helpful than you saying you use protein powder.

OP: " I've tried almond milk". Considering that regular milk that other people suggested is more widely known than almond milk which she has already tried, one can assume she's tried regular milk.

Just my line of thinking. We can agree to disagree.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    lol at the "i love coffee!!!...but i need a way to add a bunch of flavoring and sugar to it."
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I know it seems impossible but I have finally started drinking it black... for most of the day. I have my first cup like I like it with creamer or milk, and then all day at work I drink it black, but it was a long process and only recently did I say, hmmm not bad lol. There is a silk (as in the soy milk) creamer that is good and low calorie too though. Thicker than soy milk so you don't end up with the lightened water into darker water issue.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I love the Peppermint Mocha sugar free creamer by CoffeeMate. <3
  • Smccabe8
    Smccabe8 Posts: 129 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I actually use these protein shakes as creamer. They're AWESOME.

I drink coffee all morning, and I can put like 1/4 of a coffee cup full of this "creamer" for like 40 calories. All the flavors are really good too. The chai taste like vanilla cinnamon coffee creamer. I'll use like 1/4 of the shake as coffee creamer, and drink the rest for breakfast.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I take half and half in my first cup then I squeeze a little lemon in my 2nd cup. It cuts the bitter and tastes great! Try it!
  • SarahDWalker26
    SarahDWalker26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk. Sometimes Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, or original. With the Vanilla and Original I add a few sprinkles of Cinnamon. It definitely isn't a latte from Starbucks but it allows me to have my warm comfort drink in the Am for less then 50 cals
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Staying at or under 1000 calories a day means that I reeeally have to be mindful of my choices. That 4 tbs of half and half for my 2 cups of coffee is beginning to feel pricey.

Anyone find a decent creamer for fewer calories? I've tried almond milk, but I can't. I just can't. It's like adding lighter colored water to my darker colored water.

I'd love some suggestions!!

I was the same and I went from adding 3 tbsp to one tbsp but did it gradually and now I like it at this amount.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I just use the regular Lactaid whole milk. It's 20 calories per ounce, and that's about how much I use for a 16 oz. travel mug of coffee. I just need the teensiest bit of sugar, so all in all, it works out to 25-30 calories, total.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I drink fatty coffee and my wife drinks honey coffee. We use dark roast, grind our beans and use a french press.
    Fatty Coffee: 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 tbsp grass fed cow butter & 2 cups of coffee. = 105 cal
    Honey Coffee: 1 tbsp organic heavy cream, 1 tbsp raw (local) honey & 2 cups of coffee. = 110 cal
    Both of these are mixed using an immersion blender to make a frothy top. Put a dash a cinnamon or pumpkin spice on top to change up the flavor.

Wow, that is an art to your cup of joe!!! Can I have a cup? :)
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I agree with @rabbitjb - Re-train your taste buds. I did last year when I was also restructuring my caloric intake. It was just a matter of days and I became quite happy with black coffee. Even as a "treat", I don't take a sugary, milky beverage. It was a good thing to learn. No regrets and I don't miss a creamy, sweetened coffee at all. And life is so much easier with black coffee than trying to find the perfect, low calorie titration. Good luck.
  • kaileyhamilton315
    kaileyhamilton315 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ah, fellow coffee lover... Almond milk in coffee is so strange. I don't know how anyone enjoys their coffee that way. I switched from regular to 'sugar-free' version CoffeeMate creamer awhile ago because it's like half the calories and still tastes great. I also cut slowly cut down on how much used. Maybe try 3.5 for awhile? It saves a couple of calories and still tastes pretty much the same. The sugarfree hazelnut and Italian sweet cream are so good though. Goodluck!

So true! Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. :)
  • kaileyhamilton315
    Options
    So .. I have the same issue . I LOVE coffee and flavored cream. But. I found that adding organic honey to hot black coffee is amazing and only 60 calories is all you need with the 0 calorie black coffee.. I love it because I'm an excessive coffee drinker. And I can still get my fix without the guilt :)

That's a fun idea I'll have to try! I don't usually add sugar, I just like it creamy. But I'm willing to branch out and try new things. :)
  • kaileyhamilton315
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    I wish I could learn to drink coffee black....but NO!! I would sacrifice a lot of other calories but not my half and half. I have learned to use a tablespoon to measure and I now use a bit less but it just makes for a good cup of Joe. I also love cheese but would cut those calories before cutting out half and half. It helps start the day right. :)

I hear ya! I may have to just slowly wean the amount creamer I use, as a few folks have suggested.
  • kaileyhamilton315
    Options
    aimeezartz wrote: »
    Noname brand in Canada. Its the bright yellow brand. Not sure if it's available in other countries? 10cal per tsp. I just bought some yesterday but have yet to try it. I'm a coffeemate girl myself but at 60cals a tbsp I was looking for an alternative myself.

Thanks! I will check it out if I can find it here. :)
  • kaileyhamilton315
    Options
    shabaity wrote: »
    Protein powder would work oddly enough.

I'm going to have to try this, thanks!