Plateauing for a long time, could use some help.

Replies

• Why would anyone want to choose to eat saturated fat when they have other choices better and healthier for them? think about what it is your eating.. bacon grease, etc. Wouldn't a salad be better? (thats a rhetorical statement).

I dont buy the high saturated fat diets like what Atkins promotes. I mean really. What health benefit do you get from high saturated foods besides you like the taste?

I think people who love the high fat diets are those who still want to eat crap because it does taste better (in a way if you're used to it), and who dont want to give up their usual fat laden foods. imo.

I think talking sense into some of the people on this thread is completely pointless. There are people who follow their own rules no matter how many studies have been done to prove otherwise. I'm a very successful person trainer and I've trained everyone from athletes to models. I myself am a fitness model. I really just find having an argument over people who say its healthy to eat bacon and saturated fats sad. Look at the people who have diets high in saturated fats and let me know how its working for them because the one thing that obese people tend to eat the most of are fried food, cheese, bacon, lard, butter, and grease...all incredibly high in saturated fats. I would never advice it. There are plenty of alternatives. I personally like turkey bacon way better than regular bacon, and I think Olive oil is a much better alternative to butter. Or try using organic coconut oil, which has saturated fats but also has health benefits.

Staying healthy and losing weight is about making better choices. Food can still taste good without the use of bacon and other high saturated fat ingredients. I dont think the Southern Hospitality diet would be too popular. I live in Los Angeles land of the healthy, we are a culture that is a little a head of the game when it comes to healthy living and diet. It shows when you can walk down the street and do not see one obese or even over weight person for miles. The people here eat food from the farmers markets, eat organic, stay away from your typical IHOP breakfast, eat smaller portions, and exercise on a regular basis.

With that being said things like butter and some occasional cheese don't need to be avoided all together but if you are trying to lose weight they should be reduced (which was the entire point of this thread), Cheese is not only high in calories, but its high in fat. If you are on a mission to lose weight, ditch the cheese for a healthier option or use less of it. I love a nice sage brown butter sauce, but I also eat it with a healthy dinner of fresh Tilapia and Fresh Green beans from the farmers market. I don't eat a fried egg cooked in butter, with grits tops with butter and cheese, and then have some fried bacon on the side. See the difference.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    Why would anyone want to choose to eat saturated fat when they have other choices better and healthier for them? think about what it is your eating.. bacon grease, etc. Wouldn't a salad be better? (thats a rhetorical statement).

I dont buy the high saturated fat diets like what Atkins promotes. I mean really. What health benefit do you get from high saturated foods besides you like the taste?

I think people who love the high fat diets are those who still want to eat crap because it does taste better (in a way if you're used to it), and who dont want to give up their usual fat laden foods. imo.

I think talking sense into some of the people on this thread is completely pointless. There are people who follow their own rules no matter how many studies have been done to prove otherwise. I'm a very successful person trainer and I've trained everyone from athletes to models. I myself am a fitness model. I really just find having an argument over people who say its healthy to eat bacon and saturated fats sad. Look at the people who have diets high in saturated fats and let me know how its working for them because the one thing that obese people tend to eat the most of are fried food, cheese, bacon, lard, butter, and grease...all incredibly high in saturated fats. I would never advice it. There are plenty of alternatives. I personally like turkey bacon way better than regular bacon, and I think Olive oil is a much better alternative to butter. Or try using organic coconut oil, which has saturated fats but also has health benefits.

Staying healthy and losing weight is about making better choices. Food can still taste good without the use of bacon and other high saturated fat ingredients. I dont think the Southern Hospitality diet would be too popular. I live in Los Angeles land of the healthy, we are a culture that is a little a head of the game when it comes to healthy living and diet. It shows when you can walk down the street and do not see one obese or even over weight person for miles. The people here eat food from the farmers markets, eat organic, stay away from your typical IHOP breakfast, eat smaller portions, and exercise on a regular basis.

With that being said things like butter and some occasional cheese don't need to be avoided all together but if you are trying to lose weight they should be reduced (which was the entire point of this thread), Cheese is not only high in calories, but its high in fat. If you are on a mission to lose weight, ditch the cheese for a healthier option or use less of it. I love a nice sage brown butter sauce, but I also eat it with a healthy dinner of fresh Tilapia and Fresh Green beans from the farmers market. I don't eat a fried egg cooked in butter, with grits tops with butter and cheese, and then have some fried bacon on the side. See the difference.
    I suspect this will make no difference to your biased opinion, but hopefully it may make other people pause and do further research on the subject. It seems that when there's conflicting data for a tightly Held biased opinion like you have for example they generally only research studies that support that biased opinion and does nothing for further learning, it's human nature, people don't want to be seen as wrong, especially someone that continually tells everyone how great they are like you continually do.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

The full text is to the right in PDF if you want more detail.
  • Its your body, its your health, my profile is in plain sight instead of a picture of a dog. I eat turkey bacon and limit my saturated fats. I drink skim milk and don't have a diet high in cheese, I skin my chicken, and cut the fat off my meat. Having an argument over bacon being healthy is just idiotic. The proof is in the pudding. Have you ever seen a person who's diet is high in saturated fats? They aren't exactly lean and mean. That should be all the proof you need, but my all means. its your life and your body. If you want to go on the bacon butter diet please go for it, make a 30 day documentary and let me know how it works out for you.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Fat is pretty much every carnivores/omnivores main source of energy.
    Unless we turned into herbivores, idk why anyone would say its bad for you. It is easier to digest than most forms of carbs.

Edit:
    Also if you look at someone who has a diet consisting of a lot of fat, I bet you their carb intake is at least twice as much.
    Not hating on carbs, love my poptarts, but still.
  • neanderthin
    Its your body, its your health, my profile is in plain sight instead of a picture of a dog. I eat turkey bacon and limit my saturated fats. I drink skim milk and don't have a diet high in cheese, I skin my chicken, and cut the fat off my meat. Having an argument over bacon being healthy is just idiotic. The proof is in the pudding. Have you ever seen a person who's diet is high in saturated fats? They aren't exactly lean and mean. That should be all the proof you need, but my all means. its your life and your body. If you want to go on the bacon butter diet please go for it, make a 30 day documentary and let me know how it works out for you.
    I've never mention bacon or any food for that matter, other than the one post that showed you that an avocado has more saturated fat than some red meats. It appears you take extreme examples of eating saturated fat then pat yourself on the back like a reward.....pretty hilarious. And like I imagined you as the nutritional guru you profess have absolutely nothing to say about that meta analyses......... Just because you've bought into the diet industries game by consuming low fat everything is pretty well proof that nutrition is a foreign language to you. I'll have to call bull on any nutritional credentials you say you have and it appears from other threads I've probably hit a bulls eye. Be good and drink the blue milk.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    i'm really confused how 3 shrimp is 100 cals. that can't be right.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    This was my favorite bit:
    3. I see you are only doing 20 min of circuit training. That is not nearly enough. You are better off doing 20 minutes of intense cardio one day, another day 20 minutes of just leg exercises, and another day 20 minutes of just arm exercises. 20 minutes just is not enough time to properly train your entire body.

OP: It's the 30 day shred

~crickets~

Becaaaaause (from the lovely new member's profile page):
    I work at Sky Sport & Spa a private exclusive fitness facility founded by Jackie Warner and Jillian Michaels
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    ok.....getting back to the OP....

there's nothing wrong with getting most of your protein from dairy and vegetarian sources.
    I don't eat red meat either.
    lentils are slightly higher in iron than the other legumes, i think, but they are all fairly low in cals/high in fiber with significant protein.
    your best bets for dairy- greek yogurt, cottage or ricotta cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Maybe you're taking your nutritional tips from Paula Deen and Honey Boo boo, but I hate to have to inform you SATURATE FATS ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU. There is a wealth of information online, I suggest you do some research. All you need to do is observe the eating habits of people who are over weight. The south is a great example. Their diets are high in bacon, grease, butter, and cheese. They are also some of those most obese people in the country. Its not a coincidence, but please feel free to believe what you want. I just find it shocking and a little sad.

Just because I live in the south doesn't mean I'm in love with "country cooking." I'm also not obese. I don't see too many 'obese' people here either. Plenty of overweight folks, yeah. But I see plenty of overweight folks in all parts of the country. How 'bout you don't make really uneducated, rude, biased statements like that?

Just because you're in the fitness industry doesn't mean you understand nutrition. It sounds like you've been spoonfed whatever crappy advice you've heard from THE ALL POWERFUL INTERNET that you seem to love so much and have no problem using as your backup for solid advice.

Tell me, what exactly are your qualifacations? Educational background in nutrition and wellness? Certifications? Degrees? 'Cuz lemme tell ya, so far no one is buying into your compacted fallacies and lack of ethos.
  • PepperWorm
    This was my favorite bit:
    3. I see you are only doing 20 min of circuit training. That is not nearly enough. You are better off doing 20 minutes of intense cardio one day, another day 20 minutes of just leg exercises, and another day 20 minutes of just arm exercises. 20 minutes just is not enough time to properly train your entire body.

OP: It's the 30 day shred

~crickets~

Becaaaaause (from the lovely new member's profile page):
    I work at Sky Sport & Spa a private exclusive fitness facility founded by Jackie Warner and Jillian Michaels

ROFL.

It all makes sense now.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    I haven't checked this thread because I thought everything was all well and good, but I see it's kind of... devolved. To answer a few questions:
    1. The circuit training is indeed the 30 Day Shred. I've started to slowly include some more workouts, too.
    2. I've added a significant amount of protein, from a mixture of dairy and lean meats. I don't want to cut out an entire food group or go on some kind of diet; I'm here for a longterm lifestyle change.
    3. The log for the shrimp someone brought up was a meal at a family restaurant, which is a rare treat, so I was overestimating. It was kind of a "eff it" day.

I've firmed up quite a bit since these changes (already lost 5 inches off my hips and 2 off my waist, probably a lot of water weight)... so... problem resolved! Thank you everyone that came in with your advice!

Now stop fighting. You're tearing this family apart. :'(
  • PepperWorm
    Now stop fighting. You're tearing this family apart. :'(

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM!

*slams the door; plays loud, soul-crushingly brütal music*

:flowerforyou:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Why would anyone want to choose to eat saturated fat when they have other choices better and healthier for them? think about what it is your eating.. bacon grease, etc. Wouldn't a salad be better? (thats a rhetorical statement).

I suspect this will make no difference to your biased opinion, but hopefully it may make other people pause and do further research on the subject. It seems that when there's conflicting data for a tightly Held biased opinion like you have for example they generally only research studies that support that biased opinion and does nothing for further learning, it's human nature, people don't want to be seen as wrong, especially someone that continually tells everyone how great they are like you continually do.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

This is why I will continue to eat saturated fats.

The "Beverly Hills Trainer" seems totally out of touch with what's going on in both nutrition and fitness these days, and with the population of Los Angeles. There are indeed obese people in Los Angeles, LOL...just like everywhere else in the US. :noway:
  • neanderthin

This is why I will continue to eat saturated fats.

The "Beverly Hills Trainer" seems totally out of touch with what's going on in both nutrition and fitness these days, and with the population of Los Angeles. There are indeed obese people in Los Angeles, LOL...just like everywhere else in the US. :noway:
    Of course there's nothing wrong consuming saturated fats. Unfortunately our BH friend can't distinguish from people that consume a balanced diet that includes saturated fat from her insane stereotyped obese person that lives in the south and consumes copies amounts of bacon, ribs and what else, oh yeah, pancakes and potatoes. Everyone that consumes too much saturated fat is going to die a slow death from cardiovascular disease from clogged arteries is about the funniest thing I've heard in a while..........The obvious lack of knowledge in basic nutrition is well, obvious.

• The "Beverly Hills Trainer" seems totally out of touch with what's going on in both nutrition and fitness these days, and with the population of Los Angeles. There are indeed obese people in Los Angeles, LOL...just like everywhere else in the US. :noway:
    [
    Of course there's nothing wrong consuming saturated fats. Unfortunately our BH friend can't distinguish from people that consume a balanced diet that includes saturated fat from her insane stereotyped obese person that lives in the south and consumes copies amounts of bacon, ribs and what else, oh yeah, pancakes and potatoes. Everyone that consumes too much saturated fat is going to die a slow death from cardiovascular disease from clogged arteries is about the funniest thing I've heard in a while..........The obvious lack of knowledge in basic nutrition is well, obvious.

Well let me put it this way, you just admitted that consuming copious ( not copies) amount of bacon is not exactly the healthiest option. You also already admitted that a saturated fat is a saturated fat whether it comes from bacon, cheese, or butter. If it was so healthy you would be able to scarf them down with no consequences, but unfortunately you cannot. These types of foods are at the very top of the food chain for a reason. They should be consumed in small moderate amounts. There is no point arguing that eating slabs of Bacon is just as healthy as eating a bag of Broccoli, or even eating some turkey bacon. This argument is just absurd. Maybe you read an article somewhere online that convinced you otherwise, but I do have actual experience to back up my crazy theory on saturated fats, which is more than I can say for the majority of the people arguing with me on this forum.

It doesn't mean you cant have a little here and there or have a sprinkle on your salad, but lets not all fool ourselves and start telling people its healthy, there are better option out there. I wouldn't encourage anyone to eat 5 slabs of bacon as opposed to eating sauteed Kale in a little bit of Olive Oil. One of clearly the better option.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Over doing the cheese in place of protein is a huge no-no. Fat free greek yogurt is not a problem, but stay away from cheese. A little sprinkle is ok but unless its fat free, the majority of calories from cheese is from fat (obviously sugar is not the problem with cheese)...
    A couple questions for you, since you're a personal trainer and have studied nutrition for 10 years:

What exactly is the problem with dietary fat?

Why should cheese be entirely avoided?

The problem is Cheese contains Saturated Fats, which are not healthy fats. Unless you are doing enough cardio to burn this fat, it will sit in your body as gained fat...which I am guessing is the main thing everyone here would like to lose.

Now lets take the fats you get from Salmon and avocados for example. These foods are high in fat, but contain good fats like Omega Fatty Acids. These fats your body can utilize and have a better chance of being absorbed and used by the body instead of just sitting in your fat cells and adding to weight and body fat.

This is all pretty common knowledge, stay away from saturated fats found in cheese, milk, butter, and meats. Instead opt for fat free, like fat free cottage cheese, skim milk, and lean cuts of meats like the filet. This is also why you want to skin your chickens ad avoid eating the skin.

No.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I do have actual experience to back up my crazy theory on saturated fats, which is more than I can say for the majority of the people arguing with me on this forum.

Experience? So you've eaten a diet high in saturated fat and developed heart disease? You know someone who has eaten a diet high in saturated fat, developed heart disease, and had actual scientists independently confirm that said heart disease was caused by the excess saturated fat? If not, then no, you don't have "experience." You just have an opinion.

You keep touting studies about saturated fat and heart disease, but you haven't posted any. Someone already posted a recent study (a real, peer-reviewed study published in a clinical journal, not some random Internet article) showing NO ASSOCIATION between saturated fat and heart disease. Where is your study?

I eat bacon and ice cream and fatty, delicious cuts of beef all the time. My EXPERIENCE is that this has not prevented me from losing weight (currently cutting, eating at TDEE - 15%, and losing about half a pound a week), nor has it harmed my cholesterol levels, my triglycerides, my blood pressure, or anything else related to my health. All this means is that I will keep eating exactly the way I am eating.

Your opinion on the issue is about as valid to me as a toddler's. I decided to take a look at your certifying organization's requirements, and I was not shocked to discover that all you have to do is pay a fee and pass a a 100-question exam, most of which is true/false. And, lo and behold, the exam is online in its entirety, and on the exam page is a link to a PDF document to make looking up the answers easier. Yeah. I'm throwing the BS flag.

If any other MFP members want to become an overnight fitness and nutrition expert, here is a link to said exam. Good luck! http://www.ifafitness.com/aerotest.htm
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    There are some studies that seem to think saturated fat was improperly targeted as the cause of problems. Lots of the saturated fat we consume is packaged with other problematic foods (like simple sugars or white bread or other fiber free food).

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/22116724/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/what-if-bad-fat-isnt-so-bad/#.UdsiIT5AQw4

It looks like the original premise was wrong. There are plenty of human populations who consume tons of saturated fats that do not have problems with obesity or heart disease. It is more complicated than "skip saturated fat."

Personally, I find it is easier to eat a small amount of full flavored cheese. Than any amount of lowfat cheese (in the vast majority of cases). But cheese isn't really a protein. I think of it as a flavoring agent. Like bacon. Not a great source of protein, but an excellent source of flavor for your potatoes, eggs, beans or soups.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    was this whole thing about getting protein on a primarily vegetarian diet? By the time I go to the end, I forgot where we started....

so.
    Vegetarian here- yes. You can get enough protein on a vegetarian diet. It just takes a fair amount of focus. If you want more specific advice from a vegetarian who put on 8 lbs of LBM while losing 40 lbs of fat, you can always hit me up.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    yeah, ok. I looked at OP's diary. Have you re-calculated your daily goal since you lost 30 lbs? You have 50 more lbs to go... my guess is you need to update you MFP account and see that your daily net goal has lowered as your body is getting smaller.

I also wonder if you are actually burning as much as you give yourself credit for. "Circuit Training" can mean busting your bum going from machine to machine with little to no rest for 20 minutes. Or doing 3x12 with a ridiculously long rest period in between in which you play around on MFP (I do both, I admit). So maybe try getting a HRM and seeing what you are actually doing..,.or maybe just try to up the intensity of the circuit training.
This discussion has been closed.