Plateauing for a long time, could use some help.

Options

Replies

• FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    ok.....getting back to the OP....

there's nothing wrong with getting most of your protein from dairy and vegetarian sources.
    I don't eat red meat either.
    lentils are slightly higher in iron than the other legumes, i think, but they are all fairly low in cals/high in fiber with significant protein.
    your best bets for dairy- greek yogurt, cottage or ricotta cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella.

I also love Quinoa and edamame, in fact if you're craving chocolate, who doesn;t..I even found chocolate covered Edamame and its awesome!
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    There are some studies that seem to think saturated fat was improperly targeted as the cause of problems. Lots of the saturated fat we consume is packaged with other problematic foods (like simple sugars or white bread or other fiber free food).

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/22116724/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/what-if-bad-fat-isnt-so-bad/#.UdsiIT5AQw4

It looks like the original premise was wrong. There are plenty of human populations who consume tons of saturated fats that do not have problems with obesity or heart disease. It is more complicated than "skip saturated fat."

Personally, I find it is easier to eat a small amount of full flavored cheese. Than any amount of lowfat cheese (in the vast majority of cases). But cheese isn't really a protein. I think of it as a flavoring agent. Like bacon. Not a great source of protein, but an excellent source of flavor for your potatoes, eggs, beans or soups.

I totally agree, the problem with demonizing fat in general is it causes people to consume more processed, high sugar, low fiber carbs instead. Something might be labelled "fat free but have 40g of sugar. In the end its really about balance. There are better options and there are better choices. Hi fat foods are also high in calories. So if its a pungent cheese like blue cheese you will probably eat less of it, but if its a cheese like cottage cheese the fat free version taste almost the same and you can eat more of it. Its nice to save some calories so you can have that scoop of ice cream later when you're craving it and not hurt your efforts.

I dont know why the topic of bacon is such an issue but turkey bacon is delicious and half the calories and less fat. The real issue is balance, not high fat low carb, or high carb low fat...just make better choices.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    And another thread getting derailed by an expert.

OP - I would suggest getting a food scale and weighing everything that way. Weighing by measuring cups can be too inaccurate. I know I was surprised by just how much when I first started weighing things.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I do have actual experience to back up my crazy theory on saturated fats, which is more than I can say for the majority of the people arguing with me on this forum.

Experience? So you've eaten a diet high in saturated fat and developed heart disease? You know someone who has eaten a diet high in saturated fat, developed heart disease, and had actual scientists independently confirm that said heart disease was caused by the excess saturated fat? If not, then no, you don't have "experience." You just have an opinion.

You keep touting studies about saturated fat and heart disease, but you haven't posted any. Someone already posted a recent study (a real, peer-reviewed study published in a clinical journal, not some random Internet article) showing NO ASSOCIATION between saturated fat and heart disease. Where is your study?

I eat bacon and ice cream and fatty, delicious cuts of beef all the time. My EXPERIENCE is that this has not prevented me from losing weight (currently cutting, eating at TDEE - 15%, and losing about half a pound a week), nor has it harmed my cholesterol levels, my triglycerides, my blood pressure, or anything else related to my health. All this means is that I will keep eating exactly the way I am eating.

Your opinion on the issue is about as valid to me as a toddler's. I decided to take a look at your certifying organization's requirements, and I was not shocked to discover that all you have to do is pay a fee and pass a a 100-question exam, most of which is true/false. And, lo and behold, the exam is online in its entirety, and on the exam page is a link to a PDF document to make looking up the answers easier. Yeah. I'm throwing the BS flag.

If any other MFP members want to become an overnight fitness and nutrition expert, here is a link to said exam. Good luck! http://www.ifafitness.com/aerotest.htm

First I have 2 certifications I am also certified in both Training and Pilates through NETA, I also have a DEGREE in Kinesiology. I also work side by side with a Registered Dietician and talk with clients on a daily basis who have health issues and need to lose drastic amount of weight. We have patients who are sent to us by their doctors. They all have many things in common and one of them is their high intake of saturated fats. The eat foods smothered in cheese, bacon, fried foods, and use large amounts of grease and butter in their cooking. Iit is causing them weight gain and health problems ranging from heart disease to patients who have already suffered strokes and have to complete change their eating habits.

If you are eating your icecream and bacon 1. I am sure you do it in a moderate amount and 2. I am sure you exercise on a regular basis and are involved in resistance training. Everyone is not you. People need to be dealt with on an individual basis and just because you can get away with it does'nt mean someone else can unless they drastically change their lifestyle. The average American sits in front of a computer or at a desk for 6-7 hours a day.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're taking your nutritional tips from Paula Deen and Honey Boo boo

At the point you start talking like this, any validity to what you might have had to say, goes right out the window.

If you have science to back up your beliefs please provide it.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

OP - I would suggest getting a food scale and weighing everything that way. Weighing by measuring cups can be too inaccurate. I know I was surprised by just how much when I first started weighing things.

^^^^+1 for OP

and yes the derailed thread from the expert that uses wikipedia as a source.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

The "Beverly Hills Trainer" seems totally out of touch with what's going on in both nutrition and fitness these days, and with the population of Los Angeles. There are indeed obese people in Los Angeles, LOL...just like everywhere else in the US. :noway:
    [
    Of course there's nothing wrong consuming saturated fats. Unfortunately our BH friend can't distinguish from people that consume a balanced diet that includes saturated fat from her insane stereotyped obese person that lives in the south and consumes copies amounts of bacon, ribs and what else, oh yeah, pancakes and potatoes. Everyone that consumes too much saturated fat is going to die a slow death from cardiovascular disease from clogged arteries is about the funniest thing I've heard in a while..........The obvious lack of knowledge in basic nutrition is well, obvious.

Well let me put it this way, you just admitted that consuming copious ( not copies) amount of bacon is not exactly the healthiest option. You also already admitted that a saturated fat is a saturated fat whether it comes from bacon, cheese, or butter. If it was so healthy you would be able to scarf them down with no consequences, but unfortunately you cannot. These types of foods are at the very top of the food chain for a reason. They should be consumed in small moderate amounts. There is no point arguing that eating slabs of Bacon is just as healthy as eating a bag of Broccoli, or even eating some turkey bacon. This argument is just absurd. Maybe you read an article somewhere online that convinced you otherwise, but I do have actual experience to back up my crazy theory on saturated fats, which is more than I can say for the majority of the people arguing with me on this forum.

It doesn't mean you cant have a little here and there or have a sprinkle on your salad, but lets not all fool ourselves and start telling people its healthy, there are better option out there. I wouldn't encourage anyone to eat 5 slabs of bacon as opposed to eating sauteed Kale in a little bit of Olive Oil. One of clearly the better option.

FYI I don't "sprinkle" microscopic bits of bacon, nor do I use fake bacon, turkey bacon, or anything of that nature, ever. I eat full on pieces of streaky bacon, which definitely does not come from a turkey, but rather the belly of a nice pig. I'm not quite sure what you are referring to as "slabs". Strips of bacon are called "rashers".

You mentioned kale, which is sort of funny, because I absolutely love kale sauteed with bacon, in a bit of the bacon grease!

Eating saturated fat does not prevent me from losing fat--I'm still losing. I love what I eat, and my health has actually improved a great deal since including more saturated fats in my diet.
  • Snicklefritz81
    Snicklefritz81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1) Fat doesn't cause fat.
    2) Fitness trainer doesn't = nutritional educator
    3) low fat isn't HEALTHIER than regular fat. (tell me how something manipulated in a SCIENCE lab is healthier than nature made?!)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^^^+1 for OP

and yes the derailed thread from the expert that uses wikipedia as a source.

This video is very enlightening regarding how off you can be when using cups rather than a scale. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

I would really focus on weighing as much as possible and tracking as accurately as possible. Give it a couple of weeks and see what your results are. You protein does look low so I would up that (at the expense of carbs) as well.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mm... reading this thread has inspired me to go eat some more cheese.

<--- totally unhelpful, but excited about cheese!
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I think copy and pasting is silly but if all you need to do is read some articles here you go, but if this interests you that much maybe take some classes on the subject. For every theory, there is going to be a theory to debunk it. I;ve been working in this industry my entire life and I go by what I see works. the proof is in the pudding and like I've already said you have to treat everyone on an individual basis and not assume that what one person can get away with the next person also can.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

Whether saturated fat is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD) is a question with numerous controversial views.[1] Although most in the mainstream heart-health, government, and medical communities hold that saturated fat is a risk factor for CVD, some recent studies have produced conflicting results. Medical, heart-health, and governmental authorities, such as the World Health Organization,[2] the American Dietetic Association,[3] the Dietitians of Canada,[3] the British Dietetic Association,[4] American Heart Association,[5] the British Heart Foundation,[6] the World Heart Federation,[7] the British National Health Service,[8] the United States Food and Drug Administration,[9] and the European Food Safety Authority[10] advise that saturated fat is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat_and_cardiovascular_disease_controversy&quot;

Here is an article from the World Heart Federation
    http://www.world-heart-federation.org/cardiovascular-health/cardiovascular-disease-risk-factors/diet/

That is quite a lot of highly respectable organizations who tend to agree so I am going to stick with what I know and not jump on the "load up on those saturated fats" bandwagon that everyone here seems to be trending on.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a personal trainer in Beverly Hills and decided to take a look at your date so I could lend some professional advice.

Skip the baked potato. Completely ditch it if you want to lose weight. I highly suggest eating a dinner of just protein and veggies. In fact there are some pastas that are high fiber and better than eating a baked potato. This evening I had Beef Bolognese Ravioli from Trader Joes that have less calories than a baked potato and provide protein. There are better options that are tastier and better for you.

Rediculous. You don't need to ditch the potato at all. I eat white potato every, single, day. It's a fantastic vegetable and loaded with essential nutrients and minerals. I lost my weight and consistently hit my goals with white potato, daily.
    Just cut out some of the cheese and carbs

Do you have any sources for this silly suggestion?
    Protein is also low calorie.

So are carbs, they both have a energy content of 4 calories per gram.

Just weigh everything, measuring cups and spoons are inaccurate at best. Get a good food scale and you'll be fine!

Good luck OP!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well let me put it this way. I am healthy, strong, train on a weekly basis, eat healthy, and am not trying to lose weight. I know how to lose weight and keep it off. I have helped my clients lose hundreds of pounds and I have trained everyone from actors to models, to professional dancers, and your everyday person. I get paid thousands of dollars a month and I am able to support myself by helping others achieve their fitness goals. I am very successful at my job and I am also a certified Pilates Instructor. You are welcome to visit my website at FitnessBeverlyHills ......I am not sure if you also work in the fitness industry, but considering this is my job in which I make my living, I think I know what I am talking about and I would be more inclined to listen to someone with experience. If you are serious about losing weight try listening to someone who is a professional or just read the hundreds of studies on saturated fats. This I thought was common sense, but I realize that this is probably why this country has such an epidemic of overweight and unhealthy people. Many people are very misguided on healthy eating. I just saw a post yesterday by someone asking why fried zucchini was so unhealthy. I'm not telling you these things to argue with you, I'm trying to help you and the original poster. Saturated fats are no good, Eating Bacon is NOT HEALTHY unless you want to look like Paula Dean and eat Bacon, biscuits and fried chicken all day. No Bueno

Wow. Body shaming is not cool...and most certainly not professional. -.-
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I want to know how being certified in pilates is relevant to nutrition. And also the question of how pilates lengthens muscles was never answered. I'm sure such knowledge would have plenty of applications in orthopedics.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Im not the one trying to lose weight so how has eating all that saturated fat been working out for you? Its not healthy, do some research, this is common sense. Yes whole milk from a cow will have saturated fat, then there is a process called centrifugation where the fat is removed from the milk. I personally prefer either organic milk or almond milk. This again is general knowledge. And sorry to inform you but eating a bunch of saturated fat causes clogged arteries and numerous health problems..just like cigarettes cause cancer, gee who still says that SMH I must be so old school to think that eating bacon, cheese, and fried chicken could possibly be horrible for me.

The issue is not completely cutting out saturated fats, its reducing them. You might eat salmon over a flank steak because of all the healthy fats it contains which are beneficial, either is a fine choice IMO, However its better to reduce your saturated fat intake by not consuming the fat and cutting it off.

I feel like this is an argument that was already researched in great length in the 1970's and I'm shocked that in 2013 there is still so much misconception and a lack of education in nutrition. It really is no wonder Americans are so over weight and unhealthy. You can believe what you want to believe, its your health thats at risk, but it doesn't hurt to listen to a professional that might possibly have more experience in the matter than you.

I disagree with you. It's a matter of calories in verses calories out.

I also think most here have overlooked that the OP may not eating enough and may have stalled his/her metabolism. In checking the last 3-4 days of his/her diary I found a few hundred calories a day short. Depending on how accurate his TDEE has been calculated those missing calories can have a big impact.

Dont forget the Twinkie guy.

"For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months. '

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    This is why I will continue to eat saturated fats.

The "Beverly Hills Trainer" seems totally out of touch with what's going on in both nutrition and fitness these days, and with the population of Los Angeles. There are indeed obese people in Los Angeles, LOL...just like everywhere else in the US. :noway:
    Of course there's nothing wrong consuming saturated fats. Unfortunately our BH friend can't distinguish from people that consume a balanced diet that includes saturated fat from her insane stereotyped obese person that lives in the south and consumes copies amounts of bacon, ribs and what else, oh yeah, pancakes and potatoes. Everyone that consumes too much saturated fat is going to die a slow death from cardiovascular disease from clogged arteries is about the funniest thing I've heard in a while..........The obvious lack of knowledge in basic nutrition is well, obvious.

Well... this Blizzard Queen lives in the Deep South and eats cheese. I haven't had bacon in a couple weeks, but I did have ribs last week. and just made some pretty awesome mashed potatoes that I made with real butter.

I'm also eating the remainder of my oreo cheesequake blizzard right now.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A degree in kinesiology qualifies you to be a gym teacher.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    PerpetualDejaVu_zpsb37c281a.gif
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Lots of win in this thread - particularly the suggestion to the OP to weigh all your food. It's incredible how far out measurements can be so I am now just in the habit of always weighing my food and drink (I put my plate on the scales and just zero before adding each item). With fat, it fills you up and is needed as part of a healthy balanced diet. Just make sure it's within your calories and you will be fine.

As for the BH trainer, please learn how to use apostrophes properly before you start pulling others up on their grammar and spelling.
    Well let me put it this way, you just admitted that consuming copious ( not copies) amount of bacon is not exactly the healthiest option.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    BH= Bacon Hater
This discussion has been closed.