How much calories i need to eat to lose 2 pounds per week without exercise?

Options
I can not exercise for a month because of exams so i will spend this month in my room :'(
I have to control my diet to lose weight, how much calories should i eat to lose 1 Kg per week?

Current Weight: 242.5lb
Height: 5'10
BMR: 2292

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I can not exercise for a month because of exams so i will spend this month in my room :'(
    I have to control my diet to lose weight, how much calories should i eat to lose 1 Kg per week?

Plug your data into this: http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Use the pull down menu to select BMR or Sedentary. It will show you how many calories per day to eat to lose 2 pounds per week.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Why not just use the numbers Myfitnesspal gives. It does not include exercise, so I don't see the issue. Enter your information, set the goal a two pounds a week, and there you have your calorie goal.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Why not just use the numbers Myfitnesspal gives. It does not include exercise, so I don't see the issue. Enter your information, set the goal a two pounds a week, and there you have your calorie goal.

I find the MFP calculator to be about 100 calories more (for me) than some of the other sources out there. That 100 calorie difference can make or break the process of reaching one's goals.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Diet is THE key to losing weight. All those fitness "experts" that look like some Greek statue did not get that way just living in the gym. It is also not all about calories. 1000 calories of crap and 1000 of nutrient dense food look completely different, the macros play out the tale. If you are chained to a desk, what food are you going to eat? Is it going to be ramen, coffee and snicker bars (I say that because that was my staple in college during finals)?

You should sweat a little every day, lets not even focus on weight loss. No one can cram 24/7 and expect retention. Take 30 min and go for a brisk walk. At a 4 mph pace for someone around 240, it should be about 275 cal. I should know, I was 240 when I started losing weight using the Wild Diet. The logs from MapMyRun show my stats. More importantly, getting your heart rate up and breaking from being a desk jockey will help.

If I was going to just throw down a number and base it off calories, then "about" 3500 cal expended is a pound. You can play with the number a few percent, but that is pretty much it. So, drop 7000 cal a week from your BMR, so a 1000 cal a day. I would drop down to 1400 to play it safe.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Diet is THE key to losing weight. All those fitness "experts" that look like some Greek statue did not get that way just living in the gym. It is also not all about calories. 1000 calories of crap and 1000 of nutrient dense food look completely different, the macros play out the tale. If you are chained to a desk, what food are you going to eat? Is it going to be ramen, coffee and snicker bars (I say that because that was my staple in college during finals)?

You should sweat a little every day, lets not even focus on weight loss. No one can cram 24/7 and expect retention. Take 30 min and go for a brisk walk. At a 4 mph pace for someone around 240, it should be about 275 cal. I should know, I was 240 when I started losing weight using the Wild Diet. The logs from MapMyRun show my stats. More importantly, getting your heart rate up and breaking from being a desk jockey will help.

If I was going to just throw down a number and base it off calories, then "about" 3500 cal expended is a pound. You can play with the number a few percent, but that is pretty much it. So, drop 7000 cal a week from your BMR, so a 1000 cal a day. I would drop down to 1400 to play it safe.

Mis-keyed my numbers. 1200 cal per day to play it safe.
  • rileysowner
    Options

I find the MFP calculator to be about 100 calories more (for me) than some of the other sources out there. That 100 calorie difference can make or break the process of reaching one's goals.

For a person looking to lose 2 pounds a week, 100 calories will make minimal difference. At half a pound a week it makes a huge difference. For that matter, all the numbers are estimates based on statistical studies meaning that the vast majority of people will be within a certain range of calories from the number given. So that 100 calories in the big picture becomes rather insignificant in light of that range. It could be right on, or it could be high or it could be low. The only way to really know is by logging food very carefully for a month or so, and seeing how that matches up with weight loss. That will give a much more specific number that one can calculate.

For the OP, just using the MFP numbers would work just fine, although a 1Kg per week goal may be overly aggressive as a goal.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options

For a person looking to lose 2 pounds a week, 100 calories will make minimal difference. At half a pound a week it makes a huge difference. For that matter, all the numbers are estimates based on statistical studies meaning that the vast majority of people will be within a certain range of calories from the number given. So that 100 calories in the big picture becomes rather insignificant in light of that range. It could be right on, or it could be high or it could be low. The only way to really know is by logging food very carefully for a month or so, and seeing how that matches up with weight loss. That will give a much more specific number that one can calculate.

For the OP, just using the MFP numbers would work just fine, although a 1Kg per week goal may be overly aggressive as a goal.

In the time frame mentioned (a month) the extra 100 calories could result in a one pound difference. Maybe not a big difference if the target is to drop 8 pounds in that time frame (2 a week which shouldn't be difficult at the OP's weight).
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    just a suggestion -
    eat at maintenance for the month. Exams are stressful and your brain needs fuel to perform well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Your brain will work better if you take exercise breaks. Exercise also helps with stress and sleep. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/12-amazing-exercise-benefits/
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Your brain will work better if you take exercise breaks. Exercise also helps with stress and sleep. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/12-amazing-exercise-benefits/

Yes, I was wondering about that too. You can't spare 30 minutes a day to exercise?
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, I was wondering about that too. You can't spare 30 minutes a day to exercise?

when i go outside then i take too much time to come back to study room :D
    I can do leg raise in my study room or rope jumping.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Yes, diet is the key to losing, meaning that the OP needs a deficit to lose weight and yes....it is all about the calories. If you eat more in nutrient dense food you'll lose slower than if you ate less in food that was less nutrient dense....Now, I'm not saying that the OP should make their entire diet of twinkies and coke (that strawman is getting played out), but that yes the OP should eat a well balanced diet, fit in a treat if you want. The amount of calories you eat will dictate how much weight you lose, the macros/micros will dictate your satiety and how you feel.

Also OP, no, don't take 1000 calories from your BMR. Take 1000 calories from your TDEE. Yes, your BMR is about 2300 calories, but your TDEE is almost 2800. Taking 1000 calories from your BMR would put in a deficit of ~TDEE -50%, or about 1400 cals a day. Across a week that would be 9800 calories, or almost 3lbs per week.

You want to aim for that 1800 range to lose 2lbs per week.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's the best idea to try to begin reducing calories significantly while you are under stress. But if you feel you must, enter stats in MFP and definitely don't eat any less than that or you will be a mess by the end of the month!
  • rileysowner
    Options

1200 cal a day is far too low for a 24 year old 5'10" male. That is the minimum for a female. I am almost 50, 5'10" and male at around 230 pounds, I lose about 1-1.5 pounds a week eating 2100 calories. I do exercise a little, but not a huge amount, and work at a computer or desk most of the day. The OP at half my age should be able to eat at least as much as I do, probably a lot more and still lost 2 pounds a week. Frankly, even at 242, I think 2 pounds a week is overly aggressive and will result in an excessive loss of lean mass, especially since there is no resistance exercise happening to help retain that lean mass.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

1200 calories or TDEE - about 60% is far from "playing it safe" for a 24 year old male. An accurately logged 1200 calories would be a daily deficit of 1600 calories which is just over a 3lb per week loss.

A 24 year old male would be pretty hard pressed to get in the proper nutrition they need at 1200 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Um no

Firstly OP is male - 1200 is the minimum default for women (1500 is the minimum default for men)

Second - 1000 calories from one's TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) - not their BMR.

Third - exercise should also include resistance training to help keep existing lean muscle mass.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    just a suggestion -
    eat at maintenance for the month. Exams are stressful and your brain needs fuel to perform well.

I was going to say the same thing. Eating at a 1,000 calories a day deficit (which is the deficit required to lose 2 lbs per week) is hard. It's simple, but it's hard. Studying for an exam is hard. It may be too much happening at once. Obviously, your choice to make.