Looking for Calorie Counter Armband...Suggestions?

Options
Krys_T
Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
Ok, so I really want to invest the money in a calorie counting armband! I have heard people talk abou tthe BodyBugg....but $175.00 seems a little steep to me.

So does anyone have any suggestions about which ones I should be looking into. I would like something that is as reliable as possible...especially since I do a lot of workout DVDs and exercise programs on TV and they obviously have no way of telling you calories that you have burned.....

Thanks so much for the help!

Replies

• JennaMarie3
    JennaMarie3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    good question! I don't know of anything else but the bodybug, but I would like to know if there is anything else *cheaper*!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I only know of the chest strap ones. Haven't heard of any other arm band ones besides bodybug
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I have a friend who just got the BodybBugg and really likes it. She searched for coupons online and was able to get the price down some. Otherwise I'm not familiar with any type of armband. If you are just looking for calories burned have you considered a heart rate monitor?
  • hjackson6
    hjackson6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at the body bugg I didn't know what it was. You also have to pay a monthly subscription after your first 6 months or something like that of 9.95 a month or like 49.95 for six months.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I am really interested in this too! I just can't seem to decide.
  • Skinny100
    Skinny100 Posts: 77
    Options
    Would you happen to have a phone into which you can download an app that will help you with this?
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Personally I just use my iphone with the myfitnesspal app. this does everything i need as long as I remember my HRM. the body bug is a HRM with a online diet journal so i felt that with the tools that I have available to me I can have something as good if not better without giving 24 hour fitness more of my money. but if you dont have a smartphone already and you dont have a HRM then it might be a good solution for you. and 179 is pretty good you should also look around craigslist to see if anyone in your area might be selling a used one.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research before investing in a GoWearFit (same thing as a bodybugg, different name). In the end, all of these devices estimate your calories burned - the reason I chose a GoWearFit over a regular Heart Rate Monitor is that it is designed to be worn all day and is meant to estimate your non-exercise calories burned more accurately than a simple calculation based on height and weight (like MFP uses).

In the end I think you have to do your own research and decide what you want to use it for (wear it all day or only while exercising?) and figure out what your budget is.

The GoWearFit doesn't act as a HRM, but it does count steps and measure your sleep time, which I think is pretty cool, in addition to calculating calories. I wish it measured heart rate too, as I'm intersting in tracking that as I exercise, but in the end I decided I was more interested in calories than heart rate at this point in time.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Personally I just use my iphone with the myfitnesspal app. this does everything i need as long as I remember my HRM. the body bug is a HRM with a online diet journal so i felt that with the tools that I have available to me I can have something as good if not better without giving 24 hour fitness more of my money. but if you dont have a smartphone already and you dont have a HRM then it might be a good solution for you. and 179 is pretty good you should also look around craigslist to see if anyone in your area might be selling a used one.

Just to clarify - the BodyBugg is NOT a HRM. It doesn't measure heart rate. It measures a variety of other things that it uses to estimate calories burned differently than a HRM does. HRM's are not designed to estimate calories other than when you are exercising, and the BodyBugg (and GoWearFit) are designed to be worn all day.
  • dcrump
    dcrump Posts: 13
    Options
    I use my Ipod Nano with the Nike Sports Plus Kit. It does wonders for me and I also purchased the Nike Sports armband to keep the ipod and sensor in. I am able to update myfitness pal pretty accurately with it now. The Nike Sports Kit is $30 from Apple and the armband I got on Ebay for $2.00 if you buy from Nike it is $29..Good luck
  • danazsweet
    danazsweet Posts: 52
    Options
    The FitBit looks really neat and only $99
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    So does the BodyBugg just stop working if you don't pay for the subscription? I might have to do some research on this. I don't really care too much for a heart rate monitor....I just want to be able to accurately caculate calories burned when I am doing my Exercise TV workouts. Because I don't want to just log them on MFP as generic circuit training. Because I know that depending on your current weight...the calories can fluctuate.

I am going to look into this FitBit also and see which one is more up my alley. Because I really don't need the internet logging aspect if I have MFP.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    So does the BodyBugg just stop working if you don't pay for the subscription? I might have to do some research on this. I don't really care too much for a heart rate monitor....I just want to be able to accurately caculate calories burned when I am doing my Exercise TV workouts. Because I don't want to just log them on MFP as generic circuit training. Because I know that depending on your current weight...the calories can fluctuate.

I am going to look into this FitBit also and see which one is more up my alley. Because I really don't need the internet logging aspect if I have MFP.

Unfortunately, you do have to subscribe to their site to use the BodyBugg/GoWearFit - you plug the device into your computer and it uploads your data to the site for you to view. I subscribe to the GoWearFIt for $6.95 a month, I think. (With the 12 month plan) - I figure it's about 2 Starbucks' coffees - definitely worth it. Make sure you look at both products - when I was shopping, the GoWearFit was a little cheaper, and Amazon.com had it on sale and had 3 months free subscription with the purchase of the product. This may have changed since then...not sure. They are virtually identical, and I've even heard they're made by the same company, though I'm not sure if that's true or not.
  • TruSunshine
    TruSunshine Posts: 178
    Options
    I have a HRM (by SportLine) that fits like a watch. I purchased it a couple of weeks ago from Walmart for $27. It's works pretty good so far through my Hip Hop Abs and Zumba workouts, and I believe it's pretty accurate.
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    Options
    Both the Bodybugg and GoWear Fit (now named BodyMedia Fit) are made by BodyMedia.

The GoWear Fit is slightly cheaper for the unit itself, compared to the BodyBugg, but the monthly subscription to collect the data is the same. The Fit can also track sleep patterns, whereas the Bodybugg does not. People just like the Bodybugg because of the heavy marketing with The Biggest Loser and Jillian Michaels.

The FitBit is cheaper, but essentially worthless. On its website, it states that it is just pedometer that uses a formula to calculate calories. It only works for walking and it makes alot of assumptions about your information to calculate the info (for example, it always assumes that you are traveling at 2.5 mph, which is a very leisurely stride). Save your money (JMHO) and just type the workout time into MFP, its accuracy is about the same.

Polar does have a FA20 model that calculates calories without a HRM, but the reviews have been quite negative. It uses an accelometer on the wrist to judge how active a person is and calculates calories burned from that. In one example from a reviewer on Amazon, the FA20 awarded a lot of calories burned for knitting, which causes a great amount of wrist movement and grants little calories burned for lifting heavy bags, which have little wrist action....

No product (including a HRM) can give an accurate calorie burn, they simply use a formula to estimate it for you, just the same as MFP. Their only benefit is that they may motivate you to workout harder, which is generally short lived. Save your money on these gimmicks. This is just my opinion....
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    No product (including a HRM) can give an accurate calorie burn, they simply use a formula to estimate it for you, just the same as MFP. Their only benefit is that they may motivate you to workout harder, which is generally short lived. Save your money on these gimmicks. This is just my opinion....

While I agree these devices give an estimate, I don't think it's fair to say that their estimate is exactly the same as MFP. MFP uses a blanket estimate based entirely on height and weight (maybe gender, too). The BodyBugg/GoWearFit measures a variety of things throughout the day based on actual measurements and plugs those into an algorithm to estimate your calorie expenditure. I'm no scientist, but it makes sense to me that basing an estimate off of real-time data personal to a user that is less generic than height/weight would give a more accurate estimate than one like MFP uses. Below are what the bodybugg/gowearfit uses to estimate calorie expenditure. I haven't been disciplined enough to test this out, but I know some people who have been able to accurately predict their weight loss by tracking calories burned using one of these and comparing that to how much they are consuming. Obviously there will be some error - things like water retention, etc. can effect things, but I wouldn't consider these devices to be purely "gimmicks".

Motion: The Armband contains an accelerometer, a device that measures motion. (Your car air bag has an accelerometer in it that lets it know when you've been in an accident.) We use it to measure HOW you move from multiple axis and perspectives, allowing us to better understand your activity.

Steps: We count your steps, using the accelerometer to measure the distinct patterns created by walking and/or running.

Galvanic Skin Response: When you sweat, your skin becomes more electrically conductive. This measurement help us see
    how active you are.

Skin Temperature: There's an electronic thermometer inside your armband that helps us know how hot you are.

Heat Flux: When you move, your muscles produce heat. We measure the heat that's flowing from your body into the environment.

Also, here is information on the accuracy of the products:

The BodyMedia FIT System has been Clinically Proven to Accurately Measure the Amount of Physical Activity and Calories
    A recent independent study tested our Armband system in real-life situations. Participants engaged in "free living" activities, including brisk walking, running, bicycling, sedentary activities, home activities, home repair, occupational activities, strength training, and ball games. The study compared the armband to a $40,000 "portable oxygen analyzer", the gold standard for measuring calories. Results showed:

* Total Calories for free living activities: mean error <10%.
    * Total Minutes of exercise: mean error <5%.

Source: British Journal of Sports Medicine. July 2008.

(All Info is from this site: http://www.bodymedia.com/Learn-More/The-Science)
  • indychic
    indychic Posts: 1
    Options
    I loved my Bodybugg. I use loved past tense because my second one bit the dust a week ago, which led me to MFP. I think BB helped to keep me accountable but it just didn't work well. If you go to the forums on their website you will find I am one of many who has had to send it back repeatedly. I just don't have the time or energy to mess with it anymore.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I think it'll be an FT7 Polar HRM for me around $100, it'll be a fitness reward I'll save for, looking forward to it! I've only heard good things:drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research before investing in a GoWearFit (same thing as a bodybugg, different name). In the end, all of these devices estimate your calories burned - the reason I chose a GoWearFit over a regular Heart Rate Monitor is that it is designed to be worn all day and is meant to estimate your non-exercise calories burned more accurately than a simple calculation based on height and weight (like MFP uses).

In the end I think you have to do your own research and decide what you want to use it for (wear it all day or only while exercising?) and figure out what your budget is.

The GoWearFit doesn't act as a HRM, but it does count steps and measure your sleep time, which I think is pretty cool, in addition to calculating calories. I wish it measured heart rate too, as I'm intersting in tracking that as I exercise, but in the end I decided I was more interested in calories than heart rate at this point in time.
    So an HRM (particularly talking about Polar FT7) isn't one to be worn all day to track non-excercise cals? I might check Google to read more on GoWearFit I've not heard of it until you shared. What's the difference in how one is worn on your wrist or on your upper arm? Is one a Polar or similar brand and one a bodybug type (the one worn on the upper arm)??

Boy do I have alot more research to do than I thought lol. I guess I wanted one that let me know when I was working out within my heart rate, one I could use in water and anything else would be bonus. Whatelse do I want to look for in one?

Thanks for any help you can pass my way!:flowerforyou:
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference in accuracy between the ones worn on your wrist and the ones worn on your upper arm? I think I may look daft wearing a device on my arm with my work clothes!