Looking for Calorie Counter Armband...Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference in accuracy between the ones worn on your wrist and the ones worn on your upper arm? I think I may look daft wearing a device on my arm with my work clothes!
    Actually those are the ones I see most often worn at the gym, you'll fit right in:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I did a lot of research before investing in a GoWearFit (same thing as a bodybugg, different name). In the end, all of these devices estimate your calories burned - the reason I chose a GoWearFit over a regular Heart Rate Monitor is that it is designed to be worn all day and is meant to estimate your non-exercise calories burned more accurately than a simple calculation based on height and weight (like MFP uses).

In the end I think you have to do your own research and decide what you want to use it for (wear it all day or only while exercising?) and figure out what your budget is.

The GoWearFit doesn't act as a HRM, but it does count steps and measure your sleep time, which I think is pretty cool, in addition to calculating calories. I wish it measured heart rate too, as I'm intersting in tracking that as I exercise, but in the end I decided I was more interested in calories than heart rate at this point in time.
    So an HRM (particularly talking about Polar FT7) isn't one to be worn all day to track non-excercise cals? I might check Google to read more on GoWearFit I've not heard of it until you shared. What's the difference in how one is worn on your wrist or on your upper arm? Is one a Polar or similar brand and one a bodybug type (the one worn on the upper arm)??

Boy do I have alot more research to do than I thought lol. I guess I wanted one that let me know when I was working out within my heart rate, one I could use in water and anything else would be bonus. Whatelse do I want to look for in one?

Thanks for any help you can pass my way!:flowerforyou:

http://www.youtube.com/polarusa#p/u/3/vsrhiZjnURk
    Oh, got it figured out, good to go, going with the one I originally picked Polar FT7, it'll work perfect for my needs:drinker:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference in accuracy between the ones worn on your wrist and the ones worn on your upper arm? I think I may look daft wearing a device on my arm with my work clothes!

I work in an office building and no one has ever said anything about the one I wear on my arm. The models now are pretty slim and don't really stand out much. I have no problem wearing it with short or long-sleeved work shirts. After awhile you get used to it and forget it is there.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • friedenscandy
    Options
    I have a HRM (by SportLine) that fits like a watch. I purchased it a couple of weeks ago from Walmart for $27. It's works pretty good so far through my Hip Hop Abs and Zumba workouts, and I believe it's pretty accurate.

Does that HRM count your calories burned too or just your heart rate?

Thanks.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    There is a new item that is almost like the BodyBugg and alot cheaper. It hasn't been out very long and its called
    the FitBit and they have a website and are also on facebook. The cost for the FitBit is $100.00 and it does the same thing
    as the BodyBugg. I am thinking about buying one of these.
  • shoemakerdr
    shoemakerdr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think it'll be an FT7 Polar HRM for me around $100, it'll be a fitness reward I'll save for, looking forward to it! I've only heard good things:drinker:

Polar FT7 is awesome! I have been using it for about a week and it's REALLY helped me out. It tracks all your personal info (height, weight, age, sex, etc) so the reads are really accurate.

I don't really see much use in the BB armbands, especially since you have to pay twice as much for the actual device PLUS a subscription. That's kind of ridiculous. I recommend getting a HRM watch that tracks calories (Polar has some of the best out there but any will do) and then using MFP to keep track of everything at the end of the day. It's more cost-effective and you get the same kind of results. And you could wear the chest strap all day if you really wanted to get a really accurate count for the day.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think it'll be an FT7 Polar HRM for me around $100, it'll be a fitness reward I'll save for, looking forward to it! I've only heard good things:drinker:

Polar FT7 is awesome! I have been using it for about a week and it's REALLY helped me out. It tracks all your personal info (height, weight, age, sex, etc) so the reads are really accurate.

I don't really see much use in the BB armbands, especially since you have to pay twice as much for the actual device PLUS a subscription. That's kind of ridiculous. I recommend getting a HRM watch that tracks calories (Polar has some of the best out there but any will do) and then using MFP to keep track of everything at the end of the day. It's more cost-effective and you get the same kind of results. And you could wear the chest strap all day if you really wanted to get a really accurate count for the day.

I just want to point out that BodyBuggs (or Body Media Fits) and HRMs do not do the same thing. BB's are designed to be worn ALL day and estimate your calorie burn even when at rest. HRMs are NOT - they are only designed to accurately estimate calories burned when actively engaged in aerobic/cardio exercise. I would not recommend you wear the chest strap all day, because you would not get an accurate estimate of your total calories burned for the day. Period. (Read this blog for more info on that: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472 )

While I don't use my BodyMedia FIT anymore, and am going to start using a HRM to aid in my running training, the BodyMedia FIT was VERY helpful when I was just starting out on this journey - you can see the difference in your daily calorie burn when you encorporate "random" exercise like taking the stairs at lunch, going for an impromtu walk, parking at the back of the lot, running errands after work instead of sitting in front of the TV. None of these are things I would use the HRM for, but by using the BodyMedia FIT I was able to really understand what an impact incorporating such "casual" exercise can make.

Both BB type devices and HRMs have their place and both can be helpful. The BB may not be something you're interested in, but it's premature to completely dismiss it and say that it's ridiculous.
  • cheftrish
    cheftrish Posts: 9
    Options
    I used the bodybugg for 6 months and LOVED IT! I searched around for free apps and it led me to MFP. One thing about the bodybugg I loved so much was it told me exactly how many calories I was burning during my workouts. Not an estimate like the equipment gives you. I was able to lose 35 lbs in 6 months, MFP allows me to maintain it, due to the food logs. They have people who can help you with the device if you have problems. If you ever watch the biggest loser, and they have the bands on their arms... thats what they are using. they even have biggest loser forums on their website!! You track your food, exercise, etc just like MFP, but again its catered specifically to you. When worn all night, it even showed me when I went into REM. It was sooo cool.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I really want to invest the money in a calorie counting armband! I have heard people talk abou tthe BodyBugg....but $175.00 seems a little steep to me.

So does anyone have any suggestions about which ones I should be looking into. I would like something that is as reliable as possible...especially since I do a lot of workout DVDs and exercise programs on TV and they obviously have no way of telling you calories that you have burned.....

Thanks so much for the help!

Used BodyBugg on eBay. Wash the armband, clorox wipe the sensors = good as new. I got mine for under $50 (USD) including shipping.
  • shoemakerdr
    shoemakerdr Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I just want to point out that BodyBuggs (or Body Media Fits) and HRMs do not do the same thing. BB's are designed to be worn ALL day and estimate your calorie burn even when at rest. HRMs are NOT - they are only designed to accurately estimate calories burned when actively engaged in aerobic/cardio exercise. I would not recommend you wear the chest strap all day, because you would not get an accurate estimate of your total calories burned for the day. Period. (Read this blog for more info on that: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472 )

While I don't use my BodyMedia FIT anymore, and am going to start using a HRM to aid in my running training, the BodyMedia FIT was VERY helpful when I was just starting out on this journey - you can see the difference in your daily calorie burn when you encorporate "random" exercise like taking the stairs at lunch, going for an impromtu walk, parking at the back of the lot, running errands after work instead of sitting in front of the TV. None of these are things I would use the HRM for, but by using the BodyMedia FIT I was able to really understand what an impact incorporating such "casual" exercise can make.

Both BB type devices and HRMs have their place and both can be helpful. The BB may not be something you're interested in, but it's premature to completely dismiss it and say that it's ridiculous.

I had no idea. Thanks for setting me straight.
  • sapper29_25
    sapper29_25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser BodyMedia® CORE Armband & Display Device
    $151.99
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    There is a new item that is almost like the BodyBugg and alot cheaper. It hasn't been out very long and its called
    the FitBit and they have a website and are also on facebook. The cost for the FitBit is $100.00 and it does the same thing
    as the BodyBugg. I am thinking about buying one of these.

Fitbit is a great step counter. It is not a body bugg. I got my Body Bugg a month ago. I am HOOKED. I will not mind paying the $6.95/month fee at all at the end of my six month freeby. I am kicking myself for not getting this a year ago when I first thought about it. I have struggled with weight loss for that year and only lost 35 lbs. I am convinced I would have done better with the BUGG.

Add up those burgers and fries that got you overweight....the Body Bugg is worth the money! I didn't get it because of Biggest Loser either. It was free for signing up for personal training at 24-hour fitness. A true blessing to me! I wish I would have bought it a LONG time ago.

MFP food diary syncs to Body Bugg. I already had a Timex Ironman HRM. It shows too many calories burned, but I use it to keep an eye on my heart rate, which is accurate. It doen's sync to BodyBugg, but the Garmin HRM does. I may splurge so I can be all synced up! I'll just give the Timex to my daughter.
  • heatherRph13
    heatherRph13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit, they are super compact, you can wear it on your bra strap, pocket, or belt.. You can sync it to your MFP account and it'll convert your steps to exercise calories (handy feature). The Fitbit, counts steps, and calories burned plus more depending on which you one you get, and they usually range from $60-100 :)
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Agreed, and anyone who thinks that an HRM does the same as the BodyMedia products is really misinformed. I would recommend doing you're own research, and I believe that you will find over and over that based on independent studies the BodyMedia products are far more accurate than HRMs for tracking calorie expenditure.

If you do decide to get one, shop around...I got the BodyMedia Fit Link from Costco's website for $130 and it came with a one year subscription to the service. Even if you are not a member I believe you can still purchase with a small fee. Well worth every penny!
  • purrdyhay
    Options
    Hi - I am looking into a band and just wanted to give this post a bump to the top ... any new reviews and how is everyone liking the products they have been using for awhile now? Thanks!