What can you tell me about probiotics vitamins?

Options
I have finally heard about gut yeast (candida flora) and how it negatively effects your body. After finding out that pro biotics and decreasing sugar intake could help kill gut yeast and promote the good bacteria growth in my stomach, I've decided to start taking a supplement. I mean I'm constantly getting sick, my memory gets foggy, and I have digestive problems, so it only makes sence! As of yesterday, I take the chewable acidophilus probiotic vitamins.

Anyone else take them?
How long did it take for them to aid in your health issues like sinus problems and such?
How long did it take you to lose weight taking them?

As you can tell, I'm excited that this might help me! I'm also hoping it does because the bottle of vitamins was a whopping $20 at walmart which seems expensive to me so I hope it's worth the effort. I've also been eating yogurt on top of this. Thanks.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Your diet will affect your health more than taking a supplement. Supplements are SO over hyped and exaggerated. 90% of all supplements on the market are uneeded. Oh and don't fall for the candida thing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the vitamins, but I DO take kefir--especially when I'm on an antibiotic. My hubby has also been on HMF-Replete probiotic for years now (he takes a little each day--not the recommended entire sachet) and it has helped immensely with his acid reflux to the point he's no longer on nexium. Most good probiotics though are going to be refrigerated--because heat tends to kill them. At least that's what I've found when researching it.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Your diet will affect your health more than taking a supplement. Supplements are SO over hyped and exaggerated. 90% of all supplements on the market are uneeded. Oh and don't fall for the candida thing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Definitely keeping the diet in check as well. I think that's important too!
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    hsmaldo wrote: »
    I don't know about the vitamins, but I DO take kefir--especially when I'm on an antibiotic. My hubby has also been on HMF-Replete probiotic for years now (he takes a little each day--not the recommended entire sachet) and it has helped immensely with his acid reflux to the point he's no longer on nexium. Most good probiotics though are going to be refrigerated--because heat tends to kill them. At least that's what I've found when researching it.

I have bad acid reflux as well. And I take a prescription for the acid reflux too. Maybe I should keep my vitamins in the refridgerator then. Thanks!
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has tried it and had good results.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was dieting and working out and despite that could NOT lose weight. I was at a plateau for more than a year. Totally frustrated! There is a LOT of evidence that gut flora impacts depression, weight loss and perhaps even Alzheimer's and Autism. So I started taking Ultimte Flora and have lost 8 lbs in the last two months. Yes, I am still working out and dieting but NOW I am actually losing weight.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    sus49 wrote: »
    I was dieting and working out and despite that could NOT lose weight. I was at a plateau for more than a year. Totally frustrated! There is a LOT of evidence that gut flora impacts depression, weight loss and perhaps even Alzheimer's and Autism. So I started taking Ultimte Flora and have lost 8 lbs in the last two months. Yes, I am still working out and dieting but NOW I am actually losing weight.

That's awesome! Congrats!!!

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i have crohns and sometimes dont um... poo... for 2 weeks.. yea its fun. So i take probiotics and eat a lot of food like kimchi, yougurt and keifer. If i take fiber its messes me up oppisite so i have to use food.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Eating right will be 90% of your success. Opinion.
    Stopping the excess sugar, processed foods, and general garbage will make you fell better.
    If anything consider taking a one a day vitamin instead.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was overprescribed antibiotics. Then I was incorrectly prescribed a med that caused me to not be able to eat a lot of foods, could barely sleep for fours a night, extreme stress for six + months because it has caused chronic nerve pain in my face and eyes. I stopped being able to digest foods such as quinoa. I have a lot of health conditions now. And I was incredibly healthy before being incorrectly prescribed meds. So, my doctor has me taking probiotics. Also cultured foods such as kefir, wildbrine sauerkraut, maybe kombucha. Diet and lifestyle will have the best impact. Probiotics can help after antibiotics, etc. I am still dealing, trying to recover, undergoing testing. So, I don't know what the best ones are. A lot of doctors recommend: Ultimate Flora, VSL#3, Align, Prescipt Assist. I am taking New Roots Probiotic Intensity and Progressive HCP 150. I have improved. But, definitely not better. I can't advise until I am better. And also different conditions call for different treatment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I have finally heard about gut yeast (candida flora) and how it negatively effects your body. After finding out that pro biotics and decreasing sugar intake could help kill gut yeast and promote the good bacteria growth in my stomach, I've decided to start taking a supplement. I mean I'm constantly getting sick, my memory gets foggy, and I have digestive problems, so it only makes sence! As of yesterday, I take the chewable acidophilus probiotic vitamins.

Anyone else take them?
    How long did it take for them to aid in your health issues like sinus problems and such?
    How long did it take you to lose weight taking them?

As you can tell, I'm excited that this might help me! I'm also hoping it does because the bottle of vitamins was a whopping $20 at walmart which seems expensive to me so I hope it's worth the effort. I've also been eating yogurt on top of this. Thanks.

Your symptoms actually sound more like a mold allergy or other environmental illness. Do you live or work anywhere with a leaky roof or leaky pipes? Have you had new carpet installed recently? Other renovation?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has tried it and had good results.

The main benefit to me of probiotics is prevention of yeast infections, and they work well for that. I pay $21.66 for a four month supply, and do not consider that expensive. Now Foods, Gr8-Dophilus, 120 Vcaps.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I suffer from/have suffered from sinus issues & depression. My aunt (who has gluten & dairy allergies) recommended a brand of probiotic. Of course, I can't remember the brand right now...

Anyway, I take them on weekdays when I remember. My sinus issues have been much better. My depression is doing very well right now. I'm not seeing it contribute to my weight loss though. I've never had much trouble pooping or anything, so no changes there.

As others have said, probiotics are just one piece in a large puzzle. You have to supplement the probiotic with exercise, healthy diet (low sugar, low processed food), etc. Just diet alone will not always work, as some people actually need help rebuilding their gut flora. Beware of foods that say they have probiotics in them. Not that they're bad, just that our modern food processing (homoginization, pasturazing, etc) kills the good bacteria with the bad. That's why many people have started fermenting their own foods & taking probiotics.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I never had acne in my life. I developed it after medical injuries. It last for a few months. Started probiotics and now completely clear again in just a few weeks. The dermatologist wanted to put me on Accutane.

Also from medical injury: my tummy looked pregnant, pain, weigh 95 pounds can't gain back lost weight, not digesting food.

Started probiotic. This morning my tummy is flat with visible abs again.

Only problem is that I was also medically injured by a vasoconstrictor. That causes severe nerve pain when I eat probiotics and fermented foods because I have a histamine reaction. So, I have to try and recover my health without damaging my face with debilitating nerve pain. Wonderful how doctors have injured me and responded to my injury by injuring me more.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What do you mean by the bolded?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »
    I suffer from/have suffered from sinus issues & depression. My aunt (who has gluten & dairy allergies) recommended a brand of probiotic. Of course, I can't remember the brand right now...

Anyway, I take them on weekdays when I remember. My sinus issues have been much better. My depression is doing very well right now. I'm not seeing it contribute to my weight loss though. I've never had much trouble pooping or anything, so no changes there.

As others have said, probiotics are just one piece in a large puzzle. You have to supplement the probiotic with exercise, healthy diet (low sugar, low processed food), etc. Just diet alone will not always work, as some people actually need help rebuilding their gut flora. Beware of foods that say they have probiotics in them. Not that they're bad, just that our modern food processing (homoginization, pasturazing, etc) kills the good bacteria with the bad. That's why many people have started fermenting their own foods & taking probiotics.

Probiotics have nothing to do with depression.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What do you mean by the bolded?
    Many people who sell probiotics/supplements in general will exaggerate "candida" symptoms and that somehow it applies to the person they are selling it too. Create a problem (that's really a non issue for majority of people) and then sell the solution to it. Common sales tactic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You're wrong.

http://www.prevention.com/mind-body/probiotics-antidepressants

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25470391

http://www.livescience.com/49248-gut-bacteria-mental-health.html

Google it, there are tons of articles out there.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've used them in the past after being on a course of antibiotics. I had my gall bladder out a couple of years ago, and have taken them since because I wanted to see if they help me with some of the digestive problems in the wake of the operation. What I've found is reducing the fat in my diet seems to do more for me than the probiotics. BTW, probiotics are not vitamins, they're live cultures of gut bacteria.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You're wrong.

http://www.prevention.com/mind-body/probiotics-antidepressants

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25470391

http://www.livescience.com/49248-gut-bacteria-mental-health.html

Google it, there are tons of articles out there.

Google is not a good source of scientific information.

Please explain how probiotics that can effect guy bacteria have anything to do neurotransmitters in the brain.

Yeah-I think I'll stick to my psych meds instead of trying probiotics.