How often do u think about being fat? Like I think of my weight every time I'm in a room with people

Options
13»

Replies

• Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do this too. You can't worry about what others think. This is for you. You have to love yourself.
  • mustangEvie
    mustangEvie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think about it far too often. More so when others are around but even when I'm alone. I tend to think about how much space I take up, for instance… I'm sitting on a chair in a room all by myself and I think about how much space there is between me and the armrest.
  • jillian909
    jillian909 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do the same. I work in a small department with two other women that guys ALWAYS hit on. It can be pretty discouraging on some days. If I'm honest, sometimes I'm like, "Whatever, I'm awesome". Other times I'm like, "This must be what the Hulk feels like".

It's strange because I know I'm not that much bigger than them, but being overweight can really mess with your body image, self esteem, confidence... you name it. It's definitely good to have a support system. What helps me is knowing that we ALL have struggles and are working to overcome them. While my weight bothers me, something else in my life may be going perfectly that my co-workers wish was happening in their life.

Focus on the positive changes you've decided to make and be proud of yourself! Everything is a process.
  • srujana_kanneganti
    srujana_kanneganti Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I was fat, I never thought about it...like ever. I was just me, loving my life, happy as I was(until my knees started hurting and I knew I had to lose weight).

Now that I've lost weight, it's all I think about - how much I've lost...how small I am now compared to everybody else...how much I've learned... I've been in maintenance for 19 months and I'm starting to think I'll always be a person who lost a third of my body.

I also obsess more over my weight after taking control of it. Weird.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I do. Mine presents more in the way of "I know I don't look great at this moment, but I wish these strangers KNEW how hard I was working to get fit and lose weight. I wish they knew that I've already lost 35 lbs. I know I'm still overweight, but I'm smaller. I'M SMALLER!" haha It's sad but true. I was just thinking about this today.

The other one that gets me is when I'm eating something "unhealthy," and I feel judged. People don't know that I paid for those calories. I either planned on having it and prepared, or I fit it into my diary without going over.

GOSH!

It's not healthy. I am learning to get beyond that. It's not easy though.
  • embear2
    embear2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As a person who has spent there life yo yo dieting I constantly think about how I look. I really dislike myself when I put weight on, but love how I look when I lose it. I just can't seem to stay slim. It's a battle I seem to always fight. I'm back losing now, and determined this time when I reach my goal to stay using mfp to keep on top of things. Also I usually am obsessed with the gym, and go over board, this time I'm being more realistic and walking more instead.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I went to my first Zumba class two days ago. It was so discouraging. I was definitely one of the oldest and largest one there. Plus the fact that I have absolutely no coordination doesn't help. All I could think of was that somehow someone was videoing it and it was gonna end up on YouTube of the old fat lady doing Zumba. I considered not going back next week, but then I let others control my life and that isn't gonna happen. The only thing that kept me going is the fact that they have no idea of the reason why I am the size I am. From injuries and medications I have been on for the past 13 years, I have slowly gained 50 pounds. I did 30 years in the Army and deployed 4 times overseas, twice to Afghanistan. So if they are judging me for my size, I just have to think that they haven't gone through half the crap I have or seen. It's what I have to do to get through it.
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I went to my first Zumba class two days ago. It was so discouraging. I was definitely one of the oldest and largest one there. Plus the fact that I have absolutely no coordination doesn't help. All I could think of was that somehow someone was videoing it and it was gonna end up on YouTube of the old fat lady doing Zumba. I considered not going back next week, but then I let others control my life and that isn't gonna happen. The only thing that kept me going is the fact that they have no idea of the reason why I am the size I am. From injuries and medications I have been on for the past 13 years, I have slowly gained 50 pounds. I did 30 years in the Army and deployed 4 times overseas, twice to Afghanistan. So if they are judging me for my size, I just have to think that they haven't gone through half the crap I have or seen. It's what I have to do to get through it.

This is so me. I have never gone to the classes for this reason- no coordination And don't want to be the biggest there.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I hear you have a lot on your mind. Do you have someone you can talk to about your feelings?
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    OFTEN...right now its when I seat....I have a big tire that goes over my belt :( I am wearing more legging lately because of that...
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Not very often. Airplanes used to be a rude wakeup (at 320 lb, it's hard to not be aware that you're not only packed in like a sardine, but encroaching on the seat next to you as well). I was a lot more self-conscious as a child, but as an adult I grew out of that.
  • TrishAndGirls
    TrishAndGirls Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    all the time. :-( I've got 3 little girls and they are my world but I am most embarrassed when I am with them, because I feel so fat and bad that they have a mom like me...so big and unable to play much or pick them up much...

when I am working, I think about it all the time too... I think about people who look at me, they don't say anything but I know what they are thinking... this feeling is so awful....

we just gotta keep are heads up and keep on pushing. we can do this!
  • TrishAndGirls
    TrishAndGirls Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    any one on here feel free to friend me!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Every second of every minute of every day.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I was obese I did. Its our minds telling us we need to do something about it. Now that the weight is gone, obviously I don't but I also don't think about other people around me being "too big, too fat, etc". So people are not thinking that about you, its just your inner voice telling you to get healthy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when I'm out where people can see me. Yeah, I lost a lot of weight, but I'm still pretty fat. I've accepted the only way for me to look the way I want so I can feel "attractive" is to pay for surgery which is impossible. I do notice other people's weight, usually comparing how I used to look to them. The rest of the time, I'm wishing I could go back to eating for pure enjoyment.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I was fat I thought about my weight and size every. single. day.

I still do though. It's just different now because since I'm in a healthy weight range and focusing on performance and body composition goals.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Every person in the room is thinking something of uncertainty or yearning for something else.

The skinny guy is thinking "I wish I was bigger"

The big guy is saying "I wish I was smaller"

The guy with a beautiful Mercedes is looking at the parking lot saying "I wish the Ferrari was mine"

The guy running a 3hr marathon is saying " I wish I could run a 2hr marathon"

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Be happy. Be patient. Be focussed. What ever the mind can believe the mind can achieve. Those who say they CAN and those who say they CAN'T are both usually right....

• shiloheurydice
    shiloheurydice Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think about my weight constantly but thats because I have an eating disorder. If thoughts about your weight become intrusive or obsessive, see professional help. Eating disorders are mental illnesses and not physical ones and you can develop them at any weight and it starts with an obsession. Look after yourself.