LCHF

Options
I just found out about this site and sounds like it would help me with my carb intake.
Has anyone else tried this yet ?

Replies

• erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can use this site to help track your carbs. However, it can only help with tracking. Ultimately you are the only person who can help with how much you intake.

I tried a LCHF diet in the past, but found that just counting calories was more sustainable for me personally.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is the link to the LCHF group.

What are you defining as a carb problem? What are your goals? Ultimately, if you want to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. How you get there is up to you. Some find LCHF a very beneficial diet (especially, for those with PCOS, IR, diabetes) while others find it not very beneficial. In the end, the most important factor is dietary compliance.

But don't be fooled, carbs are not bad for you. Many of us have a fairly high carb count, like myself, but I concentrate on getting very nutrient dense foods (whole grain breads, fruits, veggies, oatmeal)
  • one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with diabetes2, so carbs are a problem for me. thanks for replies
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 968 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Welcome.

This can be a wonderful tool for tracking what ever you want to track: exercise, food, calories and specifically carbs and sugars to help with your Type ll Diabetes. There are several other D -type 2 here.

There is a low carb group on this site and yes carbs are a problem for type 2 diabetes. Are you needing to lose weight or just get your blood sugars under control?

• one235
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I need to lose weight and blood sugars down, but not getting anywhere. Is it the LCHF site?
    Thanks for replying.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I sent you a private message about the group.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm not Diabetic, but do have Metabolic Syndrome. I find that unless I'm keeping my carb intake under 100g per day and severely limiting my fresh fruits, the weight doesn't go any where. Feel free to take a look at my food diary if you'd like some low carb meal ideas.
  • one235
    Options
    thank you to everyone, I appreciate it
  • one235
    Options
    michelle172415.. I just looked at your diary, I see you keep calories up, but you keep the carbs down… wow, 23 carbs… how long did it take you to learn all of this with carbs? I am having a hard time doing it, but want to learn.
    My weight does not move down… Could I ask what Metabolic Syndrome is? thanks
  • one235
    Options
    bisky…. I did get your message thanks.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LCHF helped me with my prediabetes. Definitely come join the Low Carber Daily group linked above. Many of us were in the sad boat and all are seeing success on the diet. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    one235 wrote: »
    michelle172415.. I just looked at your diary, I see you keep calories up, but you keep the carbs down… wow, 23 carbs… how long did it take you to learn all of this with carbs? I am having a hard time doing it, but want to learn.

Metabolic Syndrome is a combination of factors like obesity, high blood pressure, large waist circumference etc. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/metabolic-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    one235 wrote: »

Sorry for the late response.

Metabolic Syndrome is basically a cluster of conditions like high blood pressure, elevated blood sugars, increased waist circumference, I think there might be a few others.

So, I started reading up on Paleo/Primal/Gluten Free diets with books like Wheat Belly, Grain Brain, Primal Blueprint, Practical Paleo, etc. and started learning about how the foods I was eating were affecting my overall health. I tried following a Paleo diet on and off for a couple of years and was always successful, but eventually would go back to my old ways of eating. In November 2015 I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery and since then my liver enzymes have been elevated. I've now also been diagnosed with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, so have finally decided that I need to make this happen, and permanently.

I've found a lot of great recipes in the above books that I've read, but at the end of the day, as long as I avoid, starchy white carbs, grains, most corn, beans, and dairy (at least limit it), limit fruits, and add healthy fats to my meals like avocados, coconut oil, evoo, my macros seem to fall into place fairly effortlessly.
  • one235
    Options
    yarwell and michelle172415 thank you both for explaining Metabolic Sndrome for me. Thanks also for the website.