Do you really need the added protein?

Options

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Even if you were a vegan, broccoli would not be the go-to food source for protein. Soy products, grains like qunioa, beans, and nuts have far more protein than broccoli. If you're going to advocate vegainism, at least do some comparisons with comparable food groups. Who the heck is going to eat 9 cups of broccoli?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    sndarling9 wrote: »
    80ogblkzvw7p.jpeg

This is why we can't have nice things . . .
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Yes to protein, NO to protein supplements! A carton of fat free plain yogurt, half a boiled egg, a few nuts....
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Yes to protein, NO to protein supplements! A carton of fat free plain yogurt, half a boiled egg, a few nuts....

If you have trouble reaching protein goals there is nothing wrong with supplementing.

Also, those foods do have protein but they're not the most protein rich options out there.
    And only half an egg? Why?
  • momee92
    momee92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a total of 96 lbs to lose, down 14 so 82 left.... I've been working with a trainer and a nutritionist as part of a challenge I am doing. I don't know about NEED a protein drink but you do need to get adequate protein, every day. I asked my trainer which shake she recommends that does not have high calories or added sugars and high carbs. So, I don't use the drink every day, only when I'm short on time or am not reaching my protein through the meals and snacks I planned. I will take half a scoop and put it in coffee instead of sweetener or creamer or I mix it with greek yogurt and fruit and spinach and water to make a breakfast drink..... and usually I don't need more than half a scoop on the days I use it. She recommended MusclePharm Combat. I have the Vanilla. Its decent. A little sweet, but I hate sweet stuff. I'm not fat from ice cream, hand me the chips. I plan the powder in my day, just like I do all other meals and snacks. Its got to fit my calories and other macros.

I should note, I am lifting while I am losing weight. My trainer has told me now to go for higher weight and lower reps but I mix it up a little, as some classes I take are lighter weights and more reps. But on my own I go all out and try to lift heavy. I have lost 14 lbs in 8 weeks and I am confident that while that may not seem like a lot, my body composition is changing. I can tell in pictures.

Good luck!
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    momee92 wrote: »
    I have a total of 96 lbs to lose, down 14 so 82 left.... I've been working with a trainer and a nutritionist as part of a challenge I am doing. I don't know about NEED a protein drink but you do need to get adequate protein, every day. I asked my trainer which shake she recommends that does not have high calories or added sugars and high carbs. So, I don't use the drink every day, only when I'm short on time or am not reaching my protein through the meals and snacks I planned. I will take half a scoop and put it in coffee instead of sweetener or creamer or I mix it with greek yogurt and fruit and spinach and water to make a breakfast drink..... and usually I don't need more than half a scoop on the days I use it. She recommended MusclePharm Combat. I have the Vanilla. Its decent. A little sweet, but I hate sweet stuff. I'm not fat from ice cream, hand me the chips. I plan the powder in my day, just like I do all other meals and snacks. Its got to fit my calories and other macros.

I should note, I am lifting while I am losing weight. My trainer has told me now to go for higher weight and lower reps but I mix it up a little, as some classes I take are lighter weights and more reps. But on my own I go all out and try to lift heavy. I have lost 14 lbs in 8 weeks and I am confident that while that may not seem like a lot, my body composition is changing. I can tell in pictures.

Good luck!

Sounds like your trainer knows what she's doing. 14 pounds in 8 weeks is excellent progress.

If you're not crazy about the taste of MusclePharm, try out Optimum Nutrution. Only 120 calories for 30 grams of protein and they're the tastiest I've tried.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,844 Member
    Options
    I use pre-mixed protein shakes in the morning when I hit the gym and go straight from there to work. No prep time, tastes better than protein powders IMHO, and I get 32g protein both immediately following a lifting session and as a substitute breakfast all in one. Studies show having at least 20g protein at breakfast time makes a huge difference in how much binge snacking is done later in the day, an outcome I confirm from personal experience.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Good luck!

Sounds like your trainer knows what she's doing. 14 pounds in 8 weeks is excellent progress.

If you're not crazy about the taste of MusclePharm, try out Optimum Nutrution. Only 120 calories for 30 grams of protein and they're the tastiest I've tried.

You haven't tried Trutein yet, have you? :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Good luck!

I've seen you pimp that a few times and you've piqued my interest finally!- do any stores carry it or do you order it online?
  • AnvilHead
    Options

Good luck!

I've seen you pimp that a few times and you've piqued my interest finally!- do any stores carry it or do you order it online?

Their website shows a bunch of retailers, but none of them are anywhere near me. I order mine online, bb.com is a bit cheaper than ordering direct from True Nutrition. Chocolate Truffle is my favorite flavor, but I just got some Banana Cream and it's pretty darn tasty too. The Cinnabun is also really good.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Thanks :) - I just ordered a few samples from their website...I'll give 'em a whirl.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! i apologize if this was asked before (which i am sure that it was) but I figured you would be able to help out.

I started my journey on MFP months ago and have since lost around 45 lbs, with 19 to go until the goal (maintenance). Up until this point i have been incorporating exercises such as walking, running, and even taking cardio type classes but i haven't started lifting yet in any way which i know is not only great for fat burn but also for keeping muscle while losing massive amounts of weight. My husband said i need to start lifting, but if i do i also need to start drinking protein shakes. I am concerned about that because i still have 19 lbs to lose, and protein shakes usually have a decent amount of calories (i don't want to have a shake as a meal, I'm a chew type of person lol) i still need to eat under my calories to lose those 19 lbs so I'm wondering if i should a) wait until i reach my maintenance to begin lifting and b) do i really need a protein supplement or shake when i'm lifting light weights with high reps?

He went on to explain, and he hasnt been the only one that after working out i need to drink protein...but i feel like thats for heavy lifters? Like don't you need to be "going hard at the gym" to require all that extra protein? I usually would only stay an hour max. Any advice would be great as I've been doing well sticking to MFP goals, but they unfortunately don't really help you learn how to gain muscle while your still losing weight..i know the number on the scale is only a number but it was my original goal weight and id like to see it!

Instead of just focusing on staying at/below your calorie alotment for the day, why don't you try focusing more on macros? That made a big difference for me. I actually ended up manually adjusting my macros which increased my calorie goal for each day and my body looks more defined and strong than ever (that being said, I'm also in the gym for at least an hour every day). My nutritionist suggested eating your body weight in protein (i.e. if you weigh 120 lbs., make your goal 120 grams of protein). Keep your sugar low - between 25-40. Makes a huge difference. Protein is very important when working out and gaining muscle mass/strength. The protein helps your muscles heal and repair and in turn, get stronger and more defined. However as many other responses have noted, just adding a protein bar/shake/supplement to an otherwise crappy diet is going to do nothing.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Their website shows a bunch of retailers, but none of them are anywhere near me. I order mine online, bb.com is a bit cheaper than ordering direct from True Nutrition. Chocolate Truffle is my favorite flavor, but I just got some Banana Cream and it's pretty darn tasty too. The Cinnabun is also really good.

I'll second the Cinnabun
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Good luck!

I'll second the Cinnabun

I got samples of that, chocolate, vanilla, shamrock shake, banana, and choc peanut butter
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Depends really, I used to get quite bad and long lasting soreness after hard excercise,
    A Protein Shake a day (Whey, 262cals) keeps the muscle pain away.

For me.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rather than protein shakes, I add a scoop of Whey protein powder to my fruit smoothies. Blend frozen fresh fruit, water and Whey protein powder and sometimes some coconut yogurt. No added sugar and a large smoothie is between 200 - 250 calories total.

I tried a number of whey protein powders and settled on this one because it blends well with fruit, is tasty and they regular have BYGO free sales:
    http://www.vitaminworld.com/whey-protein/womens-whey-protein-0070066632.html
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Trutein is super duper sweet to me. Even more so than Quest. I can choke Quest down if I have to (for baking it's fine), but I absolutely could not manage Trutein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »

If you have trouble reaching protein goals there is nothing wrong with supplementing.

Also, those foods do have protein but they're not the most protein rich options out there.
    And only half an egg? Why?

Sometimes you just really need 6-7 g of protein? ;-)
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Good luck!

Sure ain't. May need to look into it if it's that good.
  • AnvilHead
    edited March 2016
    Options

Good luck!

Sure ain't. May need to look into it if it's that good.

My favorites before were ON and Dymatize Gourmet, but I think Trutein blows them both away. I like the whey/casein/egg blend also, and the casein makes the shakes thicker/creamier than pure whey shakes (I mix it with nonfat milk).

Tastes better than broccoli and has even more protein! :D