Is it true I can eat anything and lose weight, as long as I count the calories?

Options
And a little exercise, of course.

Replies

• Lovoas
    Lovoas Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's not all just the calories. Keep in mind of the other things like carbs, sodium, sugars, and fats. Your body needs a certain amount, but in moderation. At least that's what my nutritionist said. I'm no expert. (:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If I ate 1500 cals of cupcakes per day or I ate 1500 cals of carrots , I would lose the same amount of weight because weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit.
    As Long as your really at a calorie deficit you will lose weight ( use a food scale for all solids, measure liquids, no guessing portions ,be accurate )
    While I would never suggest eating 1500 cals of cupcakes per day, it is still 100% possible to lose weight that way if one really wanted to.
    For me, I personally like a well balanced diet that includes some treats . I've eaten ice cream every day throughout my weight loss process. And have continued to eat it throughout my 2+ yrs so far of maintaining. Instead of eating the entire gallon, I have a portioned serving that fits within my calorie goals.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It's the calories. Nutrition is important, but weight loss is sheer calories in-calories out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes this is true. If you are diligent at counting, exercise isn't required either.

However, when you lower calories and eat a lot of junk, you are going to be hungry. If you want to lose fat (and keep more muscle) you will want to meet (or exceed) protein goals. Your body has nutritional requirements. When you lower calories you need to make more calories count.

What many people do is eat well most of the time, but leave room for treats (80/20 is popular). That way you are still looking at portion control for treats. Portion control for treats is going to be important during maintenance.

Exercise is for fitness. But, strength training is important while losing weight because it can help you keep more lean muscle mass. Healthy weight loss helps you lower your body fat %.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes. That's not saying eat pizza, chips, McDonalds, cookies, and soda all day every day. Nutrition is still important to your health and satiety. Hit your macros/micros, but have a treat every now and then.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    lovoasred wrote: »
    It's not all just the calories. Keep in mind of the other things like carbs, sodium, sugars, and fats. Your body needs a certain amount, but in moderation. At least that's what my nutritionist said. I'm no expert. (:

The op asked in regards of weight loss- so for weight loss , all that's needed is a calorie deficit.

To make sure I get what I need nutritionally, I hit macros. Carbs - protein- fat. And because there's some newcomers in this thread - carbs are nothing to be afraid of ( as long as you don't have a medical condition) carbs will not cause one to gain weight. A calorie surplus causes weight gain. Fat doesn't make one fat. A calorie surplus does. In other words, it comes down to calories for weight loss or weight gain. For overall health, eating a well balanced diet is a good idea. A well balanced diet can include treats and snacks. Moderation and portion control are key .

Remember - calories in / calories out.
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Worked for me
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's the calories. Nutrition is important, but weight loss is sheer calories in-calories out.

latest?cb=20151011154025

Edited to say that I *feel better* when I hit my macros. It's not necessary for weight loss, but it sure makes it easier to stick with it when you're not starving all day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

and

http://abc7.com/health/teacher-loses-60-pounds-while-eating-nothing-but-mcdonalds/705916/

As long as you hit your calorie goals and any other personal nutrition goals you need to reach then you should lose weight.
  • samkharvey22
    samkharvey22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is a macro goal? Sorry- I am relatively new to this site so forgive my ignorance.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the calories. Eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. However it's important to understand what will keep you satiated, and nourished. Failure to understand that will lead to burnout and non compliance to the deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What is a macro goal? Sorry- I am relatively new to this site so forgive my ignorance.

Macro is short for macronutrients: fat, protein, and carbohydrates.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Macros are your proteins, carbs, and fats.

Edited: No sorry necessary! Questions are good... It's how we all learn :smiley: